A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

It certainly will bother me. If Blaine hasn't solved it, I don't believe I will. That said, I'm not giving up yet!
I've always though that trimming the back wall off and reattaching it would work, but the challenge is not making it look like ass. A good start would be identifying the material. Based on that, you can choose the joining strategy. Finally get some junk flares to practice with. I've gotten over the gap, but I have black on black on black... So it's not as noticable.

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
The obvious answer is a piece of ABS that is 3/16" thick that goes behind the flare everywhere it is on the body. Getting the edge of that and the flare to line up nicely is a nightmare.
I thought about this but until you wrote it I never visualized a solution. Bonding the spacer to the flare, maybe countersunk fasteners from the inside or clamping sections with epoxy against a rigid backer to keep it straight then trimming, then painting since mine are bed lined like that yellow Jeep you've seen recently. Thanks for the inspiration, obviously just spitball but I think I'm gonna try this. The gap isn't terrible to clean but it would be fun to find a solution. I'll do a thread if it works.

I've always though that trimming the back wall off and reattaching it would work, but the challenge is not making it look like ass. A good start would be identifying the material. Based on that, you can choose the joining strategy. Finally get some junk flares to practice with. I've gotten over the gap, but I have black on black on black... So it's not as noticable.
The plastic will be identified by a code on the inside of the flare. They are not a readily bonding type.

Reactions: pagrey
Yeah, usually is. The gap never bothered me enough to investigate.
The gap has always bothered me for the first 15 minutes after I put the flares back on then I go back to ignoring it or punishing myself for hours trying to fix it knowing full well I'll never get it right.

Reactions: Irun
i don't notice the cope at my rocker, i did see the gap on the body. but i'm not trying to stay pretty either.

edit : sorry guys, i also need to constantly remind myself b4 i post...................i've altered everything and i'm not the same. and my flares are on their 3rd trim and a full flare would have a much larger cut than what i have made .

Last edited:
I haven't installed my sliders yet but I decided that I would rather live with the gap than smash my tub.
I've contemplated taking a flare in and having our laser guy do a few samples of aluminum that would be an inch or so wide and follow the exact outline of the flare with the mounting holes. Then I recall how flares are not always the same based on installing many and not having them hit the same dirt line that the previous flare made and then how much material that would burn up to just get a 3/16" spacer. Nothing about it has ever given me a warm fuzzy.

The upward angles of the flare are not much of a problem. The horizontals are terrible though and trying to get them decent looking against the radius edge of the front fender would be ridiculous.

I've contemplated taking a flare in and having our laser guy do a few samples of aluminum that would be an inch or so wide and follow the exact outline of the flare with the mounting holes. Then I recall how flares are not always the same based on installing many and not having them hit the same dirt line that the previous flare made and then how much material that would burn up to just get a 3/16" spacer. Nothing about it has ever given me a warm fuzzy.

The upward angles of the flare are not much of a problem. The horizontals are terrible though and trying to get them decent looking against the radius edge of the front fender would be ridiculous.
then they'll cry it's silver. and your correct about the material it'd take to burn those forms.
you could use UHMW also but it won't hold paint, but may not look bad against a black flare and gives some flexibility to contour.

then they'll cry it's silver. and your correct about the material it'd take to burn those forms.
you could use UHMW also but it won't hold paint, but may not look bad against a black flare and gives some flexibility to contour.
We powder coat rockers and other aluminum bits. No reason the trims couldn't be done the same. Or, powder coat prime and paint to match.

Reactions: someguysjeep
We powder coat rockers and other aluminum bits. No reason the trims couldn't be done the same. Or, powder coat prime and paint to match.
having that option available out of the box would make them considerably more marketable.

having that option available out of the box would make them considerably more marketable.
You've obviously never sold products that are powder coated. First you have to protect the finish from the shop back to where you are going to package and store them. Then you have to design packaging that prevents any scratch, scuff, or blemish. You have to inspect each article to ensure it is blemish free before it gets packed. Coated items are best packed in their protective boxes and stored for shipping that way or shop wear ruins them.

On something like the flare trims, protecting the finish to the end user would cost about the same as the aluminum trim from the laser shop, or put another way, double the price. Then you have to factor in that about 20% of your customers will get "blemished" product no matter how well you protect and you will have to discount it in the form of a refund, or send them another set and pay shipping on the blem set back. Most will avoid the hassle and just send out another set.

Lest we forget, we also have to make sure the laser shop doesn't cut any area with a tiny scratch on it. Then the edges have to be deburred, dross removed, and cleaned up smooth so the powder line is clean. Screw every bit of that. It would almost be cheaper to have them cut out on a mill.

Finished parts fully bring the suck.

If you use washers on one fastener above the flare it'll space it nicely and wont twist the flare, probably obvious or in the directions for yours.

I only thought of doing the rear, my sliders aren't full length in the front. I almost notched the rear when I put them on but they actually cover the tub unlike the front which just spans the fender. I guess they are only 3/16" too unlike these so not too much room to recess fasteners in plastic. Metal is interesting. Production is crazy, I think why does XYZ bracket cost so much and all these logistics, shipping and even shop damage make it clear.

Now that I know the complexities of attempting to eliminate the gap, I can move past it more easily. On to the other side. I mounted up the passenger rocker, spent a couple hours fitting it to my liking, drilled, then applied paint to the holes.

When drilling the holes this time, I used more cutting lube and there was virtually no flying metal. Once again, another pleasant surprise!

20210911_111144.jpg

20210910_185155.jpg

Followed Blaine's advice and installed the longer grip nutserts into the rocker base. Then ran a length of painters tape across the top lip, to help reduce it digging into the paint.

20210911_145339.jpg

20210911_145311.jpg

20210911_145411.jpg

20210911_150719.jpg

Reactions: CV04TJR
I've decided to leave it bare aluminum, until I install the Savvy corner and tailgate armor. All the aluminum will then get painted body color. With that decision made, I polished up the rocker base, installed it, then installed the painted sliders.

I couldn't be more happy with the results. Everything lined up, looks great, and adds functionality. :)

20210911_163320.jpg

20210911_163234.jpg

20210911_163154.jpg

20210911_163119.jpg