Advice Needed: Choosing a Manual Locking Hub Conversion Kit

I am not aware of any manual hub conversion kit for a TJ that results in a 5x5 JK pattern.

I learned to drive in a '54 Willys CJ-3B and commuted in a '49 Willys Wagon in high school. To me, "real jeeps" will always use the 5x5.5 lug pattern. Its hard to believe that its been 31 years since the change to 5x4.5 and 11 years since the change to 5x5.

Last edited:
Definitely let us know how it all works out .

To @mrblaine,

Although I've seen references to making the Yukon 5x4.5 manual hub conversion kit "play nicely" with your Vanco big brake kits, I haven't seen corresponding references to using a BBK with the larger Yukon 5x5.5 hub kit.

Can it be done? If so, what needs to be done to make the two kits work together?

What parts would I need to send you for modification?

Finally, which Vanco BBK can I use with the Yukon 5x5.5 hub kit and 16" wheels? What about with 15" wheels? If I go this route I would want to pick a kit that would work with 16" wheels now and also either 15" or 17" wheels in the future.

I might as well improve my brakes at the same time I install manual hubs.

I have Vanco's 15" BBK and don't plan bigger than 33's, so I'd also like to know what would be needed if I decided to run the smaller 4.5" kit.

One word of advice I will give you on the install. The rear seal on the hub is very easily damaged. The bearings are a very snug fit on the spindle, you want to make sure the spindle is free of grease and the inner surface of the bearings are also free of grease. It also helps to hold the outer bearing in the hub with your thumbs as you try to slide the assembly on the spindle. If the rear bearing gets cocked just the smallest amount it has a tendency to get wedged onto the spindle. When you try to get it to move again the spring in the rear seal can get damaged.

The seal is actually a seal from a crankshaft on a Ford pinto, You can usually get then ordered through NAPA and also find them on Amazon. There is another seal kit that is also used and I believe it’s the same thing used on a older Cj. I keep two of each in my trail bag. You will also need the large spanner socket for the lock ring on the hubs.

I will try to get you a picture of the part numbers for the seal kits later today

The green box is the grease seal for the back of the hub. The blue box is the bearing and seal kit that goes over the outer stub shaft and into the back of the knuckle. Not that I would particularly want to change any of these on the trail but these would be what I would consider the difficult parts to source of I was out somewhere and had an issue.

A3F93120-F5F4-4A96-8A0E-0AB4F2FA3B5A.jpeg

516B204A-FDDD-461B-AE41-5C1F6AE586A6.jpeg

To @jeepndogs:

Thanks for the part numbers!!

Would you also happen to know the part # for the Warn locking hub itself? I always carried a spare hub back in my CJ days and need to put a pair of those on my shopping list.

I tried looking up the part # for the hub shown in the Yukon parts list on the Yukon web site but came up with nothing. I should just call them on the phone, but thought you might know.

I'm driving myself crazy this week looking for replacement wheels. I've found several 16x8, 5x5.5, with 108mm center bore wheels but most have 4.5" backspacing. There are only a few choices with 4 and 4.25 backspacing and only one I've found so far with 3.75" backspacing. I'm still trying to retain my existing 315/75R16 Mickey Thompson tires rather than go 15/17 rims with new tires so my goal is a set of 5 relatively inexpensive wheels that will likely be replaced/sold when my MT's wear out.

I may end up with the tried and true Pro Comp 1069 polished aluminum rims with 4" backspacing, which appear to be the modern day equivalent to the "cheap chrome rims" so many of us ran back in the day. The theory back then was to run a wheel that looked okay, was readily available, and inexpensive to replace when (rather than if) damaged. I'm not sure how I would react to scratching up a $250+ fancy schmancy wheel. I know with a $90 aluminum wheel I would just replace it when the scratches got bad enough and move on without another thought.

What are you using for wheels with your Yarn hub kit?

Yes I do. I actually bought a extra set of the lockouts, I will get you the number when I get back home. And I am using a wheel from Dx4. I think they are only sold through tire rack.

Here is the part numbers for the hubs. Honestly I don’t remember what the cost was, I ordered them with the full kit. I had a Jeep jamboree we were attending shortly after I was going to be installing everything and it was a 600 mile round trip and I was driving the Jeep. I wasn’t sure if I would have any issues so I was over prepared for the most part.

C70E71C1-35D4-4F55-B7F2-DAC0F71F5654.jpeg

Been reading these posts with great interest. I also have front driveline vibrations with my 2006 Rubicon LJ since regearing to 488's. Done all of the things aforementioned, multiple Tom Woods Shafts, Countless pinion Angle adjustments all for knot. Currently running with my front shaft disconnected and tied up out of the way. Thinking about doing the hub conversion and was looking into the Ram Man. I did send him an email with some questions to which he berated and insulted me, that's ok I do have thick skin but didn't think it was warranted and still am considering his product. Will stay tuned.

Let us know if you purchase a unit bearing kit from The Ram Man. Based on input from a well known jeep builder and responses to my questions by Mile Marker regarding the hubs used in the kit, I concluded that the modified unit bearing may be strong enough but the "clip on" hubs are suspect for anything larger than 33" tires.

I'd love it of someone would buy the Ram Man product and test it for the rest of us. It won't be me - I bought the Yukon kit.

Update as of 12/14/18:

My Yukon YA WU-08 5 x 5.5 manual hub conversion kit is now in my garage awaiting install while I collect the rest of the parts needed for this project. I am definitely going to 4340 chromoly inner axle shafts at the same time and am seriously considering a Vanco Big Brake Kit from @mrblaine if I can work out the logistics of modifying the rotors supplied with the BBK to work with the manual hubs.

If anyone following this thread has any interest in acquiring the never used Raybestos rotors supplied in the Yukon kit please send me a message.

Hint, hint @jeepndogs , you might need some spares. ;)

I had originally planned to sell my existing wheels but keep the tires because they are barely worn. However, if I can get a fair price for my wheels and tires, I will very likely try a set of 17x9 wheels with 315/70R17 or 35x12.50R17 tires.

Message me if interested in the wheels alone or wheels + tires .

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 315/75R16 tires on Procomp P/N 1079-6865 16"x8" 5 x 4.5 polished alloy wheels with 4.0" backspacing and Procomp P/N 7179163006 powder coated steel rock rings. 5 wheels - 4 with MT tires and the spare with an older BFG.

2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon - Left Side.jpg