Advice on how to sell my Jeep

You are welcome.

For a vehicle like a Jeep, in general, you can't fixate too much on gas mileage. It's the price you pay for a very capable vehicle where you can remove the top at will, take the doors off and be able to go places most cars can't go. The 4.0 is not magically better in terms of mileage or power. It does breathe better with bigger tires, lift etc but a Jeep is still a heavy vehicle.

It's sad that your first experience in a Jeep has not been fully to your expectations. But note that when you buy a used vehicle, every car no matter the make can lead you to the same sour road. Shit happens. Just chalk it up as a learning experience.

It's not the end of the world if you can't get your full asking price for the Jeep. If it's important for you now to have the money more than the Jeep, sell it for what you can and move on. Or get the leak professionally fixed and see if you can keep the Jeep longer. You can always make money but you can't make time. Enjoy the time you have the right way and don't get fixated on specific cars/colors/features but focus more on your experiences and learning.

Message me if you want contact information on the local mechanics. They will most certainly be able to fix your leak.
I drive a lot on the highway and the lack of jeeps aero dynamics make it less fun to drive. It’s my first car and my feelings as I’m getting into cars are changing. I tried a 4.0 and it felt more like an actual car. I just really fell in love with the Miata. I wasn’t fixated on the color because I got such a great price. A lot of people on here are saying I got fucked but I don’t think I did at all. I wanted a jeep TJ, I didnt have $6k, I got it for 4k with payments. I got exactly what I wanted between a hybrid of a private owner and a dealership. I didn’t have the finances for a private owner but I’m not getting fucked with interest by a dealership. I was told about the passenger side leak but it was during the summer so I didn’t see the full extent of it until it really started raining. I knew about the rebuilt title and was told/shown why. The mechanic is my familys mechanic so I have full trust. Still do. Like I said I just really fell in love with the Miata and I feel this sense of the betrail from the jeep, like a girlfriend that I have to break up with😂 Jeep babe is a THICC babe but I now want a more sporty cute miata babe😂

Is it still viewable? I’m at work right now, but will look for it when I get home.

mare the aftermarket half doors the only doors you have? That might be part of the problem. Not definite, but possible.

im not sure what you mean by the back windshield.

My first Jeep was in 2014. It was a ‘75 CJ-5. My wife bought it from her cousin. Long story short, she got majorly ripped off. It was a butchered up job of a ‘76 body on a ‘74 frame with a VIN tag from a ‘75. She was told it was all good to go. When we went to pick it up, it was pretty rough, didnt have tags on it like she was told, and still had the title in her uncles name instead of her cousin who said he bought it 4 years earlier. She cried but felt bad about it being family. We took it home anyway and then I found the block cracked. She was pissed by this point. It wasn’t a primary vehicle so that made it not so bad. We made the best out of it fixed up a few things and drive it around locally in the woods and backroads having fun. It gave us the big and les us to the LJ we have now. Don’t lose hope on it.

Reactions: Zedd
Is it still viewable? I’m at work right now, but will look for it when I get home.

mare the aftermarket half doors the only doors you have? That might be part of the problem. Not definite, but possible.

im not sure what you mean by the back windshield.

My first Jeep was in 2014. It was a ‘75 CJ-5. My wife bought it from her cousin. Long story short, she got majorly ripped off. It was a butchered up job of a ‘76 body on a ‘74 frame with a VIN tag from a ‘75. She was told it was all good to go. When we went to pick it up, it was pretty rough, didnt have tags on it like she was told, and still had the title in her uncles name instead of her cousin who said he bought it 4 years earlier. She cried but felt bad about it being family. We took it home anyway and then I found the block cracked. She was pissed by this point. It wasn’t a primary vehicle so that made it not so bad. We made the best out of it fixed up a few things and drive it around locally in the woods and backroads having fun. It gave us the big and les us to the LJ we have now. Don’t lose hope on it.
Sorry that happened that situation totally sucks. My situation doesn’t really compare but the feelings do you and the feelings are you just want the thing to go away. At this point I just want the Jeep to go away and get the right Miata. The repairs would be cheap but because I don’t love the car anymore I just don’t care.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Problem: Low demand for the 4-cyl.

Solution: Market it as a low price of entry for a LS swap into a clean body and framed TJ.

Seriously, though, it takes a lot of patience to sell a vehicle nowadays. There's just sooooo many options out there for buyers, compared to the days of old where you either dealt with a sketchy dealer or perused a couple dozen classified ads in the newspaper. And let's be honest, patience isn't looking like a strong suit of yours in this thread, and a few others of yours I've seen. You may not be aware of pushing prospective buyers away before they even look at the Jeep. We all have flaws, and you asked for help...

I’m not gonna drive over to my mechanic right now so I can take some photographs of paperwork for you. Again, what does it matter? It has it as a rebuilt title, therefore no one cares because by everyones account here it’s not going to sell anywhere near my asking price for that reason. Yes there’s a water leak on the passenger side which I’ve patched but not fully. People already know this from my other posts so you can look at those if you want not like it matters.

Well obviously I would show them dummy. Like I said I have the paperwork on the repair! How many times do I have to say this?

It's comments like these that make you lose credibility and gain admonishment. You ask for peoples advice and then spit in their face (so to speak) when their response does not meet with your expectations. You wanted to get advice from people that have been around, bought, sold, and lived Jeeps, on how to better market your specific Jeep so as to be able to get an asking price that is IMO, and obviously others on this forum, about 2 to 3 thousand dollars over the market value for what you have, due to model specifics and vehicle history (salvaged/rebuilt title). Everyone was trying to be respectful by politely pointing out why your vehicle is getting less attention that what you think it should. Then as usual you go on the attack using fowl language and name calling.

I'm pretty sure most of us have been in the position of having buyer's remorse. That's part of the learning process, another part of that process is learning to deal with the choices we make and making due with what we have, until we can financially move on.

As for your request for help in selling your Jeep... There has been a lot of good advice given to you from more than one member here. Anything I would have covered as to your add on CL has already been mentioned... Photos, showing all angles, full frontal, rear, and side views, as well as known problem areas for TJs, common rust points on the frame and body, skid plate condition belly and fuel tank... To a lot of people an unmolested never "off-roaded" Jeep with a good frame is very appealing. As to the title status, do you have a "Salvaged", or a "Rebuilt" title? There is a HUGE difference. If it is rebuilt then you should be able to obtain a copy of the state inspection showing that the repairs have been done. I would take a picture of that inspection and post that with the add.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch
Another idea: Take a trip to OSU and post some flyers around campus. That color would be Hawt in Corvallis. Or hit up Beaverton or Molalla or Sprague or Dallas high schools... Er, that just got weird.

Reactions: Vasq
Imo, the issue is your ad itself.
(Also take a photo of the engine bay, tire threads, frame/suspensions)

I'd write it like this:

_______

Beautiful SE 2.5L (best mpg!).
Only 131k miles.
Despise a rebuilt title, this jeep is in very good condition overall.
Bought it from a mechanic. Used as a daily driver.
Mechanical condition is excellent. Serviced and detailed recently.
Interior is good with normal wear and tear. Brand new Hardtop and half door sliding glass windows ($1500 value), amazing for the Oregon's weather, or easily remove everything for a nice summer ride!

Updated dashboard, shifter, aftermarket stereo and more!
Comes with full size spare tire.

Feel free to ask questions. I’m open to trade inquires if it’s a 1990-1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata.

I’m ready to sell as soon as possible, so give me your best offer!

Reactions: Zedd and EJD
I remember when you first came on here , you detailed it real nice and posted good pics . That ability will help you market it...plus it impressed some of us that you care for your property . Thats a good trait.

Getting started in adult life is tough , and we were all still learning who we were at your age. Youth is wasted on the young. Don't fret.

There are several viewpoints-

-Keep it - instead of making the right decision , you keep it , change all you dislike , and make the decision right.

- be patient , and get your price or the best you feel you can

-Trade it for a Miata

- Take a hit, sell it faster knowing you are young , and can make it back,etc., and move on.

What's my advice? First , use this whole deal to realize something - you made a pretty big decision without really knowing what you wanted ....and that can happen with careers, marriage choices, houses and about anything at any price point . Its a good formula for making yourself miserable in life possibly . I'm not beating on you , it would be very hypocritical...I speak from experience , not trying to lecture . The point is to not let that be a pattern , learn to make decisions well . It's a huge key to success . Start teaching yourself now to be deliberate, and learn the art of wait and pounce . Don't move at all til you are sure , but be prepared , know what you are really looking for , the strike as fast as needed.

I will tell you what I do sense ....that you aren't leaning on your parents or being handed anything , you are funding and figuring this out yourself , and using this forum and other resources.

Kid , thats awesome.

Now , here is some guerilla marketing advice ..take a pic and print cheap, fun , dependable, work, hunting or college vehicle in great shape . X Dollars . Call or Text Zedd , and post it on every billboard, windshield , jeep club, hunting club, college admission office and on and on . Somebody would love to have it.

But do one thing first ....really drive some Miatas and make sure that's what you want . They are practically legendary little cars , and have a huge following. We like them on here a lot , they make a Rubicon look like a monster truck , just lock it in and you can drive right over them, so be careful where you park.

Good luck , you will be fine , it will work out , and every thing in life can teach , and that builds up , and helps you down the road ...and I promise you, that matters ..we all need all the help we can get out here, and learning to get out of our own way is huge.

I'd write it like this:

_______

Only 131k miles.
Interior is good with normal wear and tear. Brand new Hardtop and half door sliding glass windows ($1500 value), amazing for the Oregon's weather, or easily remove everything for a nice summer ride!

Feel free to ask questions. I’m open to trade inquires if it’s a 1990-1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata.

I'm selling this TJ for 1500.00 . It belongs to "a friend" named Zedd.

Meet me behind Walmart on the south turnpike .

Bring cash and don't ask any questions.

He comes back in town Tuesday, so offer ends then.

I'd write it like this:

_______

Only 131k miles.

I remember when you first came on here , you detailed it real nice and posted good pics . That ability will help you market it...plus it impressed some of us that you care for your property . Thats a good trait.

Getting started in adult life is tough , and we were all still learning who we were at your age. Youth is wasted on the young. Don't fret.

There are several viewpoints-

-Keep it - instead of making the right decision , you keep it , change all you dislike , and make the decision right.

- be patient , and get your price or the best you feel you can

-Trade it for a Miata

- Take a hit, sell it faster knowing you are young , and can make it back,etc., and move on.

What's my advice? First , use this whole deal to realize something - you made a pretty big decision without really knowing what you wanted ....and that can happen with careers, marriage choices, houses and about anything at any price point . Its a good formula for making yourself miserable in life possibly . I'm not beating on you , it would be very hypocritical...I speak from experience , not trying to lecture . The point is to not let that be a pattern , learn to make decisions well . It's a huge key to success . Start teaching yourself now to be deliberate, and learn the art of wait and pounce . Don't move at all til you are sure , but be prepared , know what you are really looking for , the strike as fast as needed.

I will tell you what I do sense ....that you aren't leaning on your parents or being handed anything , you are funding and figuring this out yourself , and using this forum and other resources.

Kid , thats awesome.

Now , here is some guerilla marketing advice ..take a pic and print cheap, fun , dependable, work, hunting or college vehicle in great shape . X Dollars . Call or Text Zedd , and post it on every billboard, windshield , jeep club, hunting club, college admission office and on and on . Somebody would love to have it.

But do one thing first ....really drive some Miatas and make sure that's what you want . They are practically legendary little cars , and have a huge following. We like them on here a lot , they make a Rubicon look like a monster truck , just lock it in and you can drive right over them, so be careful where you park.

Good luck , you will be fine , it will work out , and every thing in life can teach , and that builds up , and helps you down the road ...and I promise you, that matters ..we all need all the help we can get out here, and learning to get out of our own way is huge.
I think you’re a wonderful human being and I think you said exactly what I needed to hear.

I'd write it like this:

_______

Only 131k miles.

Another idea: Take a trip to OSU and post some flyers around campus. That color would be Hawt in Corvallis. Or hit up Beaverton or Molalla or Sprague or Dallas high schools... Er, that just got weird.
My girlfriend goes to UO I asked her to post it around.

It's comments like these that make you lose credibility and gain admonishment. You ask for peoples advice and then spit in their face (so to speak) when their response does not meet with your expectations. You wanted to get advice from people that have been around, bought, sold, and lived Jeeps, on how to better market your specific Jeep so as to be able to get an asking price that is IMO, and obviously others on this forum, about 2 to 3 thousand dollars over the market value for what you have, due to model specifics and vehicle history (salvaged/rebuilt title). Everyone was trying to be respectful by politely pointing out why your vehicle is getting less attention that what you think it should. Then as usual you go on the attack using fowl language and name calling.

I'm pretty sure most of us have been in the position of having buyer's remorse. That's part of the learning process, another part of that process is learning to deal with the choices we make and making due with what we have, until we can financially move on.

As for your request for help in selling your Jeep... There has been a lot of good advice given to you from more than one member here. Anything I would have covered as to your add on CL has already been mentioned... Photos, showing all angles, full frontal, rear, and side views, as well as known problem areas for TJs, common rust points on the frame and body, skid plate condition belly and fuel tank... To a lot of people an unmolested never "off-roaded" Jeep with a good frame is very appealing. As to the title status, do you have a "Salvaged", or a "Rebuilt" title? There is a HUGE difference. If it is rebuilt then you should be able to obtain a copy of the state inspection showing that the repairs have been done. I would take a picture of that inspection and post that with the add.
I can obtain the rebuilt inspection paperwork no problem. I had already mentioned this before. As for name calling, that guy just kept saying the same thing over and over again and I kept saying the same thing over again. I’m happy that people have replied to my post but the best advice I’ve gotten on here are from the ones that actually do what I wanted in the first place was to offer suggestions on how to improve my post. I don’t need to have a discussion on why rebuilt/salvage titles get less money than clean title vehicles, etc. I am up to date on all that and I know the TJ market. I am aware that my jeep is a hard sell that is why I need improvement on my post to make it alluring to potential buyers. Again, that’s the point of my post.

I'd write it like this -

I'm selling this TJ for 1500.00 . It belongs to "a friend" named Zedd.

Meet me behind Walmart on the south turnpike .

Bring cash and don't ask any questions.

He comes back in town Tuesday, so offer ends then.
Should I also add... Be there or be square?😂😂

Reactions: AndyG
Problem: Low demand for the 4-cyl.

Solution: Market it as a low price of entry for a LS swap into a clean body and framed TJ.

Seriously, though, it takes a lot of patience to sell a vehicle nowadays. There's just sooooo many options out there for buyers, compared to the days of old where you either dealt with a sketchy dealer or perused a couple dozen classified ads in the newspaper. And let's be honest, patience isn't looking like a strong suit of yours in this thread, and a few others of yours I've seen. You may not be aware of pushing prospective buyers away before they even look at the Jeep. We all have flaws, and you asked for help...
Patience is difficult when you need something to happen quickly. As for selling a car...pfff you’re so right. I am aware of pushing potential buyers but I haven’t had any yet which is the point of this post, to improve the listing for potential buyers. There’s been a good couple in here that have given good advice on how to improve my listing which I’m very thankful for.

You seem to be receiving a lot of guff on this post. Really you are on the right track.

You know the obvious, 4 banger that has had past damage. Nothing you can do about that. If you need it sold fast, you will need to take the lower price. If someone offered you $5k, talk to them. Back and forth a bit you might get $5.5k or $5.8k. That would be pretty close to your goal.

It is like needing cash quick and getting a payday loan. The interest will be 10 times what you would get from a bank but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Certainly stick to your guns and be honest but read other ads. Just as Real Crazy's example fluffed it up, you should too. You have to expect it when looking at used cars. People understand and can read through the BS.

My girlfriend goes to UO I asked her to post it around.

Uh, orange isn't the most popular color in Eugene.

I am aware of pushing potential buyers but I haven’t had any yet

No, I said, "You may not be aware of pushing prospective buyers away before they even look at the Jeep." You said you've had inquiries, but that no one has come to look at it. Make sure you're not being antagonistic with them.