Advice on new front speakers

Wow, thanks to everybody for the information, I am a good tech, but don't know much about audio so this is great information. I didn't know anything about the sensitivity so that is good stuff. JMT, thank you for taking time to explain and also give examples of good speakers. I have a lot to go through. Also what head unit are you running if you don't mind?

@bobthetj03, I followed your link and it says those don't fit or maybe they don't fit mine because my TJ is older, but if they don't I know you are a master fabricator, but I would be interested in what or how you modified to make this fit if you indeed actually have to.

@Kathy, seems like you are using the or close to the same speakers as @JMT so that is another vote for Polk

@lowranger, I am not sure how many people would want to show up to my 70's Clapton rave party.

Reactions: Kathy
I run a set of 5.25" JBL's in the front ... had to modify the mounting bracket but work well.

Reactions: ac_
Wow, thanks to everybody for the information, I am a good tech, but don't know much about audio so this is great information. I didn't know anything about the sensitivity so that is good stuff. JMT, thank you for taking time to explain and also give examples of good speakers. I have a lot to go through. Also what head unit are you running if you don't mind?

@bobthetj03, I followed your link and it says those don't fit or maybe they don't fit mine because my TJ is older, but if they don't I know you are a master fabricator, but I would be interested in what or how you modified to make this fit if you indeed actually have to.

@Kathy, seems like you are using the or close to the same speakers as @JMT so that is another vote for Polk

@lowranger, I am not sure how many people would want to show up to my 70's Clapton rave party.
My head unit is a JVC aftermarket.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AZ67U2Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I think it is 22 w per channel with my Polk DB series at 91 sensitivity. I’m fine with this setup. As I mentioned before though, there are some head units that have up to 40-45 wats per channel. That would be better for your situation. Even if you didn’t need all the power, it would be there. Here’s one

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GS820BT/Sony-MEX-GS820BT.html?tp=5684&avf=N

As far as the pros and cons of my head unit

Pros: white background with black letters make it easy to see in the daytime with top and doors off, water resistant, phone calls work well, face plate removable,
Cons: takes about 20-25 seconds for the Bluetooth to connect

My head unit is a JVC aftermarket.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AZ67U2Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I think it is 22 w per channel with my Polk DB series at 91 sensitivity. I’m fine with this setup. As I mentioned before though, there are some head units that have up to 40-45 wats per channel. That would be better for your situation. Even if you didn’t need all the power, it would be there. Here’s one

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GS820BT/Sony-MEX-GS820BT.html?tp=5684&avf=N

As far as the pros and cons of my head unit

Pros: white background with black letters make it easy to see in the daytime with top and doors off, water resistant, phone calls work well, face plate removable,
Cons: takes about 20-25 seconds for the Bluetooth to connect

I have that almost same JVC head unit. It actually looks exactly like yours, but different model number. Yours is probably newer. I was looking to get something different because I was having a tough time syncing my iphone 8 to it but I finally got it so I may keep it now especially for the reasons you stated. I love the USB feature too.

Reactions: JMT
You'll need to get the adapter plates for the front speakers that adapt a 5.25" from the stock 4"x 6" speaker. Crutchfield should have them along with other places.
P1040718.JPG

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
UPDATE:

I have put the 4 POLK 522's on my wish list in Crutchfield. That is my plan when I start working on the interior, I will most likely keep the JVC head since I did get it to work with the Iphone. Thanks a ton for all of the advice. This forum is awesome.

I replaced the factory amp with a Nano 5200 and put 4 inch 200 watt alpines with jbl tweeters in front did a custom job myself was not hard, and kept the 5 inch at back alpines 200watt, and a 6 inch kicker sub filled the stock center box with resin to strengthen. Works awesome the amp is 4 channels two drive front and rear and a bridge on last two drive the 6 inch kicker it sound clear and loud. I have an alpine 173 head unit with bluetooth, usb, and aux. can send pics if anybody wants. quite a bit of work but can share all tips ive learnt, and looks stock.

Reactions: JMT, ac_ and Chris
UPDATE:

I have put the 4 POLK 522's on my wish list in Crutchfield. That is my plan when I start working on the interior, I will most likely keep the JVC head since I did get it to work with the Iphone. Thanks a ton for all of the advice. This forum is awesome.
Polk is a great choice. What model year do you have, does it have a sound bar or speaker pods?

My new 2 me TJ has an aftermarket Pioneer - how do I determine it's output in order to match speakers? The stock speakers are 20 y.o. egads!
You probably have to grab the model number off of the face and look for a manual or specs.

Reactions: KCsTJ