Advice on new front speakers

Hi all from a rainy SA today, I will show two pics of sub and std box and amp. if you have some resin and some time it works and fits in std center console. I also put 4 inch in front 200w in std box with 1 inch 200watt jbl tweeters mounted where the std ones were. Back 5 inch 200 watt is plent strong. It sounds really good once you tume the amp for lowpass and high pass and set the frequency and volume. Ive done many sound systems, and the power and clarity of this combo gives my top of the range x5 a good run for its money.

6 inch 2 ohm kicker.jpg

20171123_202757.jpg

Reactions: Chris and ac_
Update:

As it turns out, I was able to sync my Iphone 8 to my JVC head unit, so I can head bang the whole Eric Clapton collection from my server at home to my JVC in my TJ through sftp and bluetooth, and my rear speakers were already 6.25 Polks, and sounded pretty good, so I took your advice, and put some Polk 522's in the front with the adaptor plates from Crutchfield. One of my old 4,.25 pioneers was vibrating bad, Now I don't have any world winning sound, but just enough for me to still listen to music with the top down and sounds great with the top up. Probably not going to listen to Snoop Dog, but Ozzy Cranks great in the cabin now!

Thanks for all of the advice, and shout out to @Kathy and @JMT for the Polk suggestion. Also thanks @Kathy for the suggestion of the speaker cups, great idea and they really help.

Reactions: JMT
Update:

As it turns out, I was able to sync my Iphone 8 to my JVC head unit, so I can head bang the whole Eric Clapton collection from my server at home to my JVC in my TJ through sftp and bluetooth, and my rear speakers were already 6.25 Polks, and sounded pretty good, so I took your advice, and put some Polk 522's in the front with the adaptor plates from Crutchfield. One of my old 4,.25 pioneers was vibrating bad, Now I don't have any world winning sound, but just enough for me to still listen to music with the top down and sounds great with the top up. Probably not going to listen to Snoop Dog, but Ozzy Cranks great in the cabin now!

Thanks for all of the advice, and shout out to @Kathy and @JMT for the Polk suggestion. Also thanks @Kathy for the suggestion of the speaker cups, great idea and they really help.
I’m so glad it worked out for you! I have an upgraded head unit that has better bells and whistles than my pioneer on my wish list . For now, I’m thrilled I found a classic rock station that comes in good for my commutes every day. I also feel a better antenna would help with reception , but if I get a head unit that I can stream music, the antenna won’t be necessary. Rock on!

Reactions: ac_
Hi All. I did a great mod to the original TJ center housing. Added a 1 cm thick 6 inch diameter to raise the Kicker Amp, & I ground out the plastic ridges inside the center housing and strengthened with epoxy resin. On the other side replaced the Amp with a Nano 5200 it is very powerfull I use 2 channels to drive Kicker Sub and other chanells for a set of Alpines. 4 inch on front 200 watt with JBL 200 watt tweeters, and 6 inch on rears 200 watt. The sound is incredible and have had many comments, takes a bit to dial it in and throttle it back its crystal clear.

6 inch 2 ohm kicker.jpg

targa nano 5200w amp.jpg

is there a huge difference between a kicker 4 x 6 with 88db vs 4 x 6 pol @ 90 db in the front speakers?

In order to compare you must determine the speakers specs(watts) and amplification, head unit or separate amplifier?

Simply speaking you can look at your comparison like:

Kicker 43DSC4604: 30 watts RMS - 88db.
Polk DB 462 : 50 watts RMS - 90db.

Both db ratings are at 1w/1m. Doubling the amplification yields an additional 3db, or halving the wattage strips away 3db.

If you are using a head unit pushing 22 watts, then the speakers would add about 13dbs, Kickers to about 101db and the Polks to about 103db.

If you send more watts via an amplifier, like 50 watts, then it would add about 16dbs to the Kicker, 104db total, but for the Polks it would add 17db, 107db total, because the Polks have a higher RMS, 50 watts vs 30 watts.

This is a simple illustration as other factors like efficiency and build quality of speakers come into play. Also, I believe manufacturers self report their ratings.

In order to compare you must determine the speakers specs(watts) and amplification, head unit or separate amplifier?

Simply speaking you can look at your comparison like:

Kicker 43DSC4604: 30 watts RMS - 88db.
Polk DB 462 : 50 watts RMS - 90db.

Both db ratings are at 1w/1m. Doubling the amplification yields an additional 3db, or halving the wattage strips away 3db.

If you are using a head unit pushing 22 watts, then the speakers would add about 13dbs, Kickers to about 101db and the Polks to about 103db.

If you send more watts via an amplifier, like 50 watts, then it would add about 16dbs to the Kicker, 104db total, but for the Polks it would add 17db, 107db total, because the Polks have a higher RMS, 50 watts vs 30 watts.

This is a simple illustration as other factors like efficiency and build quality of speakers come into play. Also, I believe manufacturers self report their ratings.
Sony head unit:17 watts RMS CEA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels no amp

Current speaker is
Kicker 43CSC464
  • handles up to 50 watts RMS (150 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 50-20,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 88 db
was thinking of going to the Polk DB 462 : 50 watts RMS - 90db. as currently can't really hear the kickers upfront unless that is just the way it is in the dash.

If you go with the DB522's Crutchfield had a sale on them, and included the adapter plates for free. 90db or higher would be preferred with the wattage you are providing to them.

Reactions: skrelnik
Sony head unit:17 watts RMS CEA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels no amp

Current speaker is
Kicker 43CSC464
  • handles up to 50 watts RMS (150 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 50-20,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 88 db
was thinking of going to the Polk DB 462 : 50 watts RMS - 90db. as currently can't really hear the kickers upfront unless that is just the way it is in the dash.

As you pointed out I think the lack of sound/volume also has to do with the way the front speakers are positioned in the dash, which is slightly angled downward, more than the brand of speaker you have there. With that said, if you want to hear the speakers more, you probably need to amplify those front dash speakers, possibly add a boom-mat enclosure.

As bobthetj pointed out the, a 5.25" may be the better option for that area. If you intend to keep the front speakers powered by the OEM head unit, the JBL GT7-5 is another option at 5.25" and it's RMS is 35 watts with a sensitivity of 93dbs, so you are looking at 105dbs, slightly more than the Polks. Yet again, this is about loudness not overall quality, but JBL has a solid name like Polk and Kicker.

it is a aftermarket sony head unit, i already have the 4 x 6 boom matt baffles in front...I jumped at the kickers before I fully researched..at $40 bucks for the set I won't cry if I replace them.....Jim are you running the 522 in the dash? do you hear them as good as the pods? @Chris I think you are running the polk 4 x 6 how are they for you?

I have the 522 in the pods already

it is a aftermarket sony head unit, i already have the 4 x 6 boom matt baffles in front...I jumped at the kickers before I fully researched..at $40 bucks for the set I won't cry if I replace them.....Jim are you running the 522 in the dash? do you hear them as good as the pods? @Chris I think you are running the polk 4 x 6 how are they for you?

I have the 522 in the pods already

I have the 522's in the pods as well, and noticed an immediate difference from the old speakers I had in there. I actually had to fade the rears down some more to balance the sound stage. Another pair of 522's are going in the front as soon as I find the time to install them.