Advice on new front speakers

it is a aftermarket sony head unit, i already have the 4 x 6 boom matt baffles in front...I jumped at the kickers before I fully researched..at $40 bucks for the set I won't cry if I replace them.....Jim are you running the 522 in the dash? do you hear them as good as the pods? @Chris I think you are running the polk 4 x 6 how are they for you?

I have the 522 in the pods already
I’m running the 4x6 Polks in the front and they are excellent. I have the 522 Polks in the sound bar. This works out excellent for me.

I just replaced my front 4 x 6 kickers with 5.25" Kickers and the adapters.
Did I notice a huge difference, no not really and I have a Kenwood 400W 4 channel amp.
I did adjust the fader to the front just a little and it seems to help, but with the front speakers aiming downward, its not the best setup.
I have 4 Kickers in my Tundra (can't remember the sizes) and they can take a beating and sound awesome with no distortion.

Chris, are both front and rear of equal listening volume? do you fade to the front?

I've got it perfectly balanced in the middle and it sounds great to me. I would say the front and rear are of equal listening volume, yes.

I've got it perfectly balanced in the middle and it sounds great to me. I would say the front and rear are of equal listening volume, yes.
OK, I might have to spring for the polks in the front, I am + 3 fade to the front and it is still out of balance by a bunch, I don't want to fade too much up front and lose the back sound.

OK, I might have to spring for the polks in the front, I am + 3 fade to the front and it is still out of balance by a bunch, I don't want to fade too much up front and lose the back sound.

What are you running up front at present?

Any advice to get mor sound from the front speakers in to the cab?
Upgraded the origial speakers to 5 1/4 with adapters, but a lot of the sound is getting lost inside the dashboard.

Any advice to get mor sound from the front speakers in to the cab?
Upgraded the origial speakers to 5 1/4 with adapters, but a lot of the sound is getting lost inside the dashboard.

I have the same issue. My have an after market radio and upgraded speakers but the sound bar dominates the sound. I changed the front/rear balance which helps, but I think it’s odd how quiet they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue. My have an after market radio and upgraded speakers but the sound bar dominates the sound. I changed the front/rear balance which helps, but I think it’s odd how quiet they are.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T1AB28Y/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It’s an easy installation and the solid pods really help the lows and mids but no matter what the tweeters are still aimed at your knees and not your ears, so there’s that.

I did end up replacing the kicker front speakers to the polk 522 and got sound pods, it did make a difference. The real difference was when I added tweeters on the dash corners. Just tie into the front speaker wires and run it up to the tweeters. Best $19 bucks and half hour of my time to improve the system. It just brings the sound up front so much more than any fading I did.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWJTIBE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

And for those needing to fine tune the sound from the head unit this thread is worth the read.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/stereo-question.20330/

What is an easy installation?

I had to dremel two steel flats to fit my '98 and then they slid right in. Apparently later models don’t have the steel in the way and it’s simply a matter of removing the speaker and reinstalling it with the pod, so 10 screws a side...that’s pretty easy. Even dremeling mine only took 20 minutes a side start to finish.

Rather than use those pods, you can get better bass response by just sealing up all of the holes around where the dash speakers are mounted. That's the real problem. Because the mounting surface isn't sealed off, you get cancellation from the front and rear sound waves coming though the speaker grill. I have pics at home and will post them tonight of how I sealed mine off.

The pods do separate the front and rear sound waves of the speaker, so that helps, but because the internal air volume is so small, it leads to weak mid-bass and peaky bloated upper bass (two things we don't want). If one already has the pods, a good trick would be to put a hole in the back of the pods around an inch in diameter, to allow the speakers to breath better. The rear sound waves would vent through the hole and go towards the firewall, so you wouldn't get the cancellation you do when mounted with nothing blocking it.

Most car speakers are designed for infinite baffle, meaning a large area like in the rear deck of a sedan, or a large door. The pods are just way smaller than the speaker is intended for.

Rather than use those pods, you can get better bass response by just sealing up all of the holes around where the dash speakers are mounted. That's the real problem. Because the mounting surface isn't sealed off, you get cancellation from the front and rear sound waves coming though the speaker grill. I have pics at home and will post them tonight of how I sealed mine off.

The pods do separate the front and rear sound waves of the speaker, so that helps, but because the internal air volume is so small, it leads to weak mid-bass and peaky bloated upper bass (two things we don't want). If one already has the pods, a good trick would be to put a hole in the back of the pods around an inch in diameter, to allow the speakers to breath better. The rear sound waves would vent through the hole and go towards the firewall, so you wouldn't get the cancellation you do when mounted with nothing blocking it.

Most car speakers are designed for infinite baffle, meaning a large area like in the rear deck of a sedan, or a large door. The pods are just way smaller than the speaker is intended for.
This makes sense. Looking forward to your pics on a solution.

Reactions: lkvisser
Is everyone putting the foam things back in the front speakers grills?
I did not. I sealed up all the spaces as 89grand suggested. Helped immensely but I'm still missing some bass. I'm going to be getting a subwoofer sometime soon. Might try the Rockville sub.

Reactions: TDB55