Alignment issues and vibration after 4 inch lift

I definitely wouldn't go with Rough Country. Give Shawn Wood a call at www.4xshaft.com who does driveshafts and SYE kits. @Shawn at Tom Wood's

He and his semi-retired dad Tom provide unsurpassed pre and post-sales support, you would never regret going with a Tom Wood's Custom Driveshafts product.

Do y’all know if I am going to need adjustable rear upper control arms too? Do I need adjustable rear lower control arms too? Also one video said ya need rear shock relocation brackets, sound correct? The lift kit came with “tubular lower control arms” but I don’t know if those will work with the CV and SYE. I’m gonna take it all to a mechanic a friend recommended, but I’m assuming this labor (plus the steering modifications) will be over $1000. I don’t want to reuse any hardware since it’s all old and rusty so if you know what other nuts and bolts ya always have to buy that would be awesome (or the mechanic, who doesn’t speak English) will just use the old stuff.

You do need adjustable length rear control arms for a CV (aka DC) driveshaft. Shock relocation brackets are not needed.

Hence why I bought the rough country lift. So if I need a CV drive shaft and SYE, I need to do it as economically as possible. Already replacing the steering components is putting me way into the red.

I'm a terrible sales person. I never want to talk someone into spending money with us or spending more money for the sake of getting a (bigger) sale. If I think someone needs something more expensive because I'll tell them but if I think they need something less expensive than they were originally thinking I'll tell them that too. My honest advice if you are needing to save some money is to go ahead and get the Rough Country SYE (which we don't sell). It's about $85-$100 less money than some of the other brands (which we do sell). Maybe lower quality than some but maybe not. There's not a lot of moving parts on an SYE though, one bearing, that's it. As long as the housing doesn't leak and the yoke isn't total junk it will do what it needs to do. For the drive shaft though I strongly recommend getting a custom made shaft. Either from us or from someone like Adams Driveshaft. For about $10 more you get something that I believe to be better quality, it's been a while since I looked at a Rough Country shaft so I don't know exactly how they are building them, but more importantly you will get something that you will for sure be the right length. I really don't like the one size fits all approach that places like Rough Country use. I'm sure you'd be able to get the shaft installed but sometimes they end up being over-extended or over-compressed. Of course I'm very biased and a bit more of a perfectionist when it comes to drive shafts than maybe I need to be but I think that custom length is the way to get a proper length shaft. Again, about $10 more for a custom length shaft from either us, or Adams, or probably some others. You can even measure for a custom length BEFORE INSTALLING THE SYE, how easy is that? See the photo/diagram below. Even if you order an off the shelf size shaft I think you should check the fit using the diagram.

tj rear sye not installed.png

Thanks Bucky. As much as I wish my jeep would ever get home with me to Moab, since I live in Miami, it is unlikely to ever see a trail … probably not even mud, definitely not snow. So any modifications need only be cosmetic. I’m not trying to build anything that needs to perform. I just want him to look tough and clean him up (he’s family now, it’s been 21 years).

I bought my jeep in DC because it reminded me of home but I rarely drove it. I lived in cities where I took public transit to work, so my jeep has mainly been a curb ornament. I added crome bumpers and step sides, bought the bikini and soft top, ran 31” tires on my stock rims, but I’ve worked for the government which barely pays a living wage anymore (not like the old days of cushy salaries and pensions), so the lift and really big tires wasn’t an option.

Hence why I bought the rough country lift. So if I need a CV drive shaft and SYE, I need to do it as economically as possible. Already replacing the steering components is putting me way into the red.

Yep build it for yourself and your needs. The driveshaft needs to be done or damage will be done down the road. Florida is flat so gears really should not be an issue.

Seriously thank you all for the responses. It is really helpful. It looks like I’m gonna be putting a lot more money into this. I just ordered new steering components (tie rod, track bar, drag link, and pitman arm), which was $600 and will be $300 to $450 in labor. I guess the next is the SYE and rear axel work. I need to do this a chunk at a time because it’s a lot of money. It’s got some rust that needs addressed asap.

Oh, Sancho asked what lift kit. I got the one the mechanic at the tire shop told me to get. It was $599 at the time, but it definitely seems like he should have requested I get the more expensive one, since I’m now having to buy those parts anyway.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-906s.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjN-SBhCkARIsACsrBz4Q8tNK8UTAw_RXEg0bs8OW7aem4GGqVmLsw947rm-wJds8fiSosvMaAkV1EALw_wcB#154=587&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpcs&utm_campaign=16171210782|140021931744&utm_content=581577623749&utm_term=|pla-1635499885135|m||90630-01

View attachment 366107

View attachment 366108

View attachment 366109

View attachment 366110

You might want to cancel what you ordered and regroup a little. You do want an adjustable track bar but you do not need a new pitman arm and unless the tie rod or drag link are worn you do not need to replace them now either. I would definitely go back to the shop that installed the lift and ask for the cam bolts that were on the axle side of the lower control arms so you have the ability to adjust your caster angle or you are going to have to purchase new ones. It a little hard to see but it also looks like the shop did not install transfer case skid spacers that would at least help some with the rear driveshaft angles until you can save up for a SYE/driveshaft and adjustable rear upper control arms.

Shame you went down this path. I think a smaller lift with a small body lift could have avoided all this headache and provided the same look/clearance…good luck.

Reactions: kmbarreiros