All things welding

Engine Test Stand1.1.jpg

Cummins Engine Test Stand big enuff for engine Trans and T-CAse

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
My father is a Marine and lost his left arm in 68.

He used to be able to lay down machine looking welds I could not ever duplicate.

But he is right handed. So he had that going for him.

Lots pf Respect for the Marines these are the guys that make the Devil say oh shit not these guys again

I always get a gloob welding vertical, I have tried pulling and pushing I have tried starting at the top and the bottom what give

Most of the time I get the dimes like in the second picture from earlier occasionally I get the Dimes like the first Picture looks like it was Tig'd
I generally get this when I weld vertical it looks paint with a Run in it

IMG_0750.jpg

Vertical up MIG needs speed. It also helps to have your gun aimed straight at the middle of the joint with a slight angle 10°-15° pointing upwards. The goal is trying to keep the arc towards the leading edge of the puddle. This will allow the arc to dig into the base metal & give the weld metal a place to go instead of falling out the back & dripping.

Vertical up MIG needs speed. It also helps to have your gun aimed straight at the middle of the joint with a slight angle 10°-15° pointing upwards. The goal is trying to keep the arc towards the leading edge of the puddle. This will allow the arc to dig into the base metal & give the weld metal a place to go instead of falling out the back & dripping.

So point the Noz up a little in the middle of the weld and use more hand speed and push the bead uphill

So point the Noz up a little in the middle of the weld and use more hand speed and push the bead uphill

For a straight push with slight weaving , Yes. I recommend this method first so you get a sense of just how fast you need to move. Settings also play a big factor. You need slightly more volts & slightly less wire feed speed

I should mention that if you decide to weave (which moves slightly slower than a straight push) you need to move from one side to the other as fast as possible. The weld metal will naturally fall towards the lower edge of the puddle so you don't need to worry about it too much. Welding this way takes a lot of practice to get your timing just right

Last edited:
This is my oven’s heating element that just blew. I’d say it had energy equivalent to welding based on the look of this!

IMG_1355.jpeg

Reactions: tworley
This is my oven’s heating element that just blew. I’d say it had energy equivalent to welding based on the look of this!

Well, if it touched the bottom of your oven, it actually was a welding event. It's got 240VAC going through it, and the bottom of the oven is grounded, so it would have been a short to ground. Did it hum/hiss/pop and spark?

It was a buzz that got progressively louder for a few seconds and then there was a flash of orange flame and smoke. From what I read up on blown elements that’s how it goes down. But the part in the pic that blew is/was suspended in the air; not touching anything. I don’t actually understand how it doesn’t short out all the time because it has metal brackets on it that connect it to the floor of the oven. I’m guessing the element doesn’t usually conduct well, and that resistance is what gets it so damn hot. But when it fails maybe the power arcs the gap and causes the blaze of glory like this.
Oh well - the new one is in and working! Now I need to do some intentional welding with my new Hobart!

It was a buzz that got progressively louder for a few seconds and then there was a flash of orange flame and smoke. L

Same thing happened with my 5 year old whirlpool in my last house. Same exact description.

You know some Seabees or Combat Engineers had to come with this Explosion Welding
Welding with danger putty ok its not really Putty

We use that here at work on our engines. Mostly because its an effective way to bond dissimilar metals while maintaining the different properties of each metal.

We use that here at work on our engines. Mostly because its an effective way to bond dissimilar metals while maintaining the different properties of each metal.

Well I can see it now NCO said we need to weld this shit together lets find some E4's and give them some danger putty they will get it done and boom Explosion Welding was born " E4 now lets get back to our nap in the broom closet"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Claytone
It was a buzz that got progressively louder for a few seconds and then there was a flash of orange flame and smoke. From what I read up on blown elements that’s how it goes down. But the part in the pic that blew is/was suspended in the air; not touching anything. I don’t actually understand how it doesn’t short out all the time because it has metal brackets on it that connect it to the floor of the oven. I’m guessing the element doesn’t usually conduct well, and that resistance is what gets it so damn hot. But when it fails maybe the power arcs the gap and causes the blaze of glory like this.
Oh well - the new one is in and working! Now I need to do some intentional welding with my new Hobart!

Those heating elements are actually a wire surrounded by a ceramic filler (electrical insulator) inside a steel (or alloy like inconel) outer liner. The liner isn't electrified so it doesn't need to be insulated from the support brackets. Failures are usually a failure of the ceramic allowing the internal conductor to short to the liner.

Reactions: sab
I have patch panels from Classic Enterprises coming today. They say their stuff comes uncoated, which is good. But I’m not ready to weld these in yet. Should I coat them with anything to keep them from rusting while I practice and get ready to use them?