Another Dana 35 vs 8.8 Discussion

jordans05tj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
A buddy of mine found some axles on Facebook marketplace and I wanted to see what everybody thinks of this deal. The guy is asking $400 for a ford 8.8 rear and a dana 30 front with 4.10's, a lunchbox and an lsd. I'm trying to get the guys contact info to ask what brand axles, gears, etc he has. My jeep has Dana 35 rear, it's a 2005 6 speed with 4.0. The build I'm gonna do is about a 2" suspension lift with 1.5" body lift and tummy tuck with 31's, similar to what @Irun has done with his. My question is this: does this seem like too good a deal to pass up, and what does everybody think about this being a worthwhile purchase/potential upgrade for my build plan? It's my understanding that a super 35 is probably better than a ford 8.8, however a fairly built 8.8 for this price seems like a good deal especially with the 4.10 gears I'd want.

I would more than likely refresh the axles a little bit with new seals and ball joints, and take what repairs I've done to my axle (u joints steering etc) and slap it on with this one. My second question is what would have to be done to get the rear onto mine when it comes to brakes, it should be a fairly common thing to do but I'll have to look into it more. Let me know what yall think, thanks in advance!

4B70989D-CB20-446D-9825-B72631256E9A.jpeg

I'd personally stay with the 35. The 8.8 will weigh more, sacrifice ground clearance, and reliability/use is dependent on who welded up the brackets. Plus, the LSD really doesn't give you anything offroad.

I'd personally stay with the 35. The 8.8 will weigh more, sacrifice ground clearance, and reliability/use is dependent on who welded up the brackets.
X2. Getting that 8.8, now configured for leaf springs, ready to bolt into a TJ with its coil spring suspension is a much more difficult and expensive job than you're aware of. Not to mention the above points.

Go for Super 35 or wait for a used Dana 44 out of a TJ.

X2. Getting that 8.8, now configured for leaf springs, ready to bolt into a TJ with its coil spring suspension is a much more difficult and expensive job than you're aware of. Not to mention the above points.

Go for Super 35 or wait for a used Dana 44 out of a TJ.
The main thing that got my attention on this one was it already had tj brackets on it, but like Irun said above I have no idea who welded it and then you also gotta talk about pinion angles on it. For me being on 31s and my primary use being street/forest roads I could go for a while on the stock 35 without problems. I'm wanting to focus on light weight and maximum clearance so this wouldn't be a fit for my build anyway the more I think about it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this one everyone 👍🏼

I'm not a 8.8 HATER so for the price I'd say jump on it. It's a HP30 & 8.8 with the brackets already welded onto it so you aren't playing to have it converted. As long as the 8.8 was setup for a stockish suspension the the pinion angle should be good.

Yes the 8.8 hangs down more than the Dana 35 but for what you are wanting to use it for then I'd say it's good. And if 31" tires are as large as you're thinking you'll go with then 4.10 gears would be great. And a 8.8 with stock axes is as strong if not stronger than a Dana 44. The only DOWNSIDE to the 8.8 is that it is narrower than your Dana 35. You can either just deal with that OR run spacers in the rear OR do a Super 8 kit which makes it wider but includes stronger axle just like the Super35.

So I'm one vote for Go For It. Yes check them out and make sure everything is good but if they aren't bugger welds or it was setup for a 4+" lift I'd snag them up.

That’s a good deal all day long. Welds look good from what I can see. Even if you don’t use them I would buy them, clean them up and flip them. No way a person could lose on that deal…

9B5BBA5C-5EB1-49B5-87F8-1D0C5F497CD9.jpeg
Granted I am taking some liberty with what I think I am looking at/seeing. That being said, the welds appear to be decent. I’ve seen a lot worse splatter…

Here are some 8.8 threads for you for more information. The 8.8 was pushed as a popular swap axle before the Super35 kits came out. Also for the YJ & XJ crowd it was a easier swap. There isn't a lot of reasons to swap in a 8.8 now with the other kits available but the price on these axles are good. And if you're getting the adjustable control arms in the pictures for the from axle it's an even better deal.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/installing-yukon-super-88-kit-wf-88-31.44358/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/everything-you-need-to-do-to-ford-8-8-swap-your-tj.44064/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/ford-8-8-axle-swap-info-faq.66/

Seems like $400 is the going rate for a stock 8.8 right off the Ford Exploder. The fact that comes with 2 axles and is already setup for a TJ is well worth the price, and if you end up not going that route you could probably flip them easily for profit.

Well I was second in line and supposed to hear back this morning if the other person flaked, I haven't heard anything so safe to assume they're gone. I was considering taking the front axle then I'd just need to re gear and do a super 35 on mine but oh well, it was a thought lol.

Reactions: Wildman
Just curious, but with only 31's and for only street/forest road use, do you even need an upgrade?
That's my current use, eventually I want to add a Detroit rear and a powertrax front and do a little bit harder trails once I get a lift and a tummy tuck done but I still want something that I can drive on the street. I want to take it out west and do stuff like Imogene, black bear, fins n things etc. I also live 1.5 hours away from hot springs orv so I'll be out there a lot also. With my rear 35 I've limited myself to light use for now, as I get some more income freed up I'm going to build it out the rest of the way.

Reactions: Wildman
I'd take a Super 35 over that 8.8 any day.
Budget notwithstanding?

You’re talking $3500 vs $400, considering that the S35 will also require regearing of the front axle to match in order to consider an apples to apples comparison. It’s pretty easy to argue against the 8.8, but the financial considerations of this pair of axles are significant.

Lmao bunch of 8.8 haters, if you can weld properly and adjust pinion angle you're gold. Had one for years, still running great, no driveline vibration and sure as hell not wasting money on a weak Dana 35 axle, a TJ Dana 44 ain't that much better considering what people ask for them cost wise. All I hear is alot of parroting.