Another SWR problem

It's pretty common, once you are using the radio you'll turn up the squelch and you wont notice it much. My Jeep has a very poorly shielded fuel pump, you can hear it when you cycle the key with the engine off.

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
so here's a video when I turn my CB on;

is the noise normal? and how should I have my SQ adjusted?

this is my first CB so this is all new to me

Turn the dial on squelch until the noise stops.

Consider better quality cables. Not all RG-58 cables are the same.

Consider where you route the cables too... running an antenna cable parallel with other wires will pick up noise and degrade your SWR.

I have both...CB and GMRS. And yeah I could have bought something else...but it works for me.

-Mac

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
You are adjusting the volume listening to noise, that is pointless. You need to adjust the volume when somebody is talking. Then you turn the squelch up until it is quiet when the person you are listening to is not transmitting and you can hear them when they talk (are transmitting). You can't do any of this without somebody talking to you. This is why I think it's important to test with a friend. Playing with it alone doesn't do much. When you are driving the Jeep you probably wont hear the background static when you have the volume adjusted to hear the other person comfortably.

You are adjusting the volume listening to noise, that is pointless. You need to adjust the volume when somebody is talking. Then you turn the squelch up until it is quiet when the person you are listening to is not transmitting and you can hear them when they talk (are transmitting). You can't do any of this without somebody talking to you. This is why I think it's important to test with a friend. Playing with it alone doesn't do much. When you are driving the Jeep you probably wont hear the background static when you have the volume adjusted to hear the other person comfortably.
I'll wait till my dad gets his CB setup and check back

Reactions: nathanotis
so here's a video when I turn my CB on;
View attachment 305326
is the noise normal? and how should I have my SQ adjusted?

this is my first CB so this is all new to me

Wow, that's some real RF interference right there. Doesn't happen with the engine off, right? If you search around, you can learn more about what parts of the Jeep tend to put off radio frequencies that your CB is picking up, and what you can do about it.

But yea, as you saw, you can turn the squelch way up, and then you'll only hear clear radio transmissions. The bummer about running with the squelch that high is that you'll miss any less-than perfect, somewhat scratchy transmissions. They'll get blocked out just like that noise. Or, you might also try playing with that ANL button up above the knobs. That's a built-in noise limiter.

Post that pic of the underside of your antenna mount!
I sanded the paint off before connected the stud to the bracket

tempImage5Q4IuY.png

IDK why its sideways

Read the owner's manual, there is a lot of information that will benefit you in how to get the best performance from your radio. Second and most important, the lower cost radios don't have the best noise limiters. Chasing the source of static in a radio will make you crazy.

Reactions: Akitadog
Squelch is not to filter out loud noises like that. Squelch is for filtering out faint noises in the absence of strong signals. In other words, use it to hush background static when no one is talking. Do this by turning it all the way off or as low as it goes. You'll hear static. Slowly turn it up until the static disappears. That's it. You're done.

Well, except you're not. Your radio seems to be malfunctioning so none of that will really work right now.

Where do you have the cb wired to? You said battery. Does that mean both the red and black wire are attached to the battery?

Was the key off in the Jeep when you filmed the video or just the engine off?

Squelch is not to filter out loud noises like that. Squelch is for filtering out faint noises in the absence of strong signals. In other words, use it to hush background static when no one is talking. Do this by turning it all the way off or as low as it goes. You'll hear static. Slowly turn it up until the static disappears. That's it. You're done.

Well, except you're not. Your radio seems to be malfunctioning so none of that will really work right now.

Where do you have the cb wired to? You said battery. Does that mean both the red and black wire are attached to the battery?

Was the key off in the Jeep when you filmed the video or just the engine off?
Key off, the Cb is wired straight to the battery, black to the negative and red to the positive, thats what the instructions said to do

Key off, the Cb is wired straight to the battery, black to the negative and red to the positive, thats what the instructions said to do
the video is with the engine off...
Wow! that's with the engine off? It should not sound like that if the engines not running. Sounds like your getting some RF interference from a running motor? Usually in a vehicle you get sparkplug, alternator and sometimes electric motors running. With the engine off you should just have a lttle static in the background.

Was there absolutely nothing running on the Jeep? What about lights? Do you have any LED lights? They can interfere with radio. Do you have an LED dome light or any others that would be on with the key off? LED brake lights and your foot was accidentally on the brake?

how should I store the coax slack? I have a good bit extra
Don't worry about it. Find somewhere to tuck it away. You can cut it off later but manlinly for neatness/simplicity. Unless there's a kink or an extra 50ft that you're cutting off, any improvement will be miniscule