Anyone added a coolant filter?

For me personally in my `99? 3, to be exact thats when I upped to a 44. And to be clear, this Jeep has never sen a dirt road much less a mud hole or a rock.
And yes, a rear Dana 44 should have come stock. PERIOD!
And you were running 29-30” tires??? No lockers? No retardation involved?

Never got the angry dork grill. I like the factory look. My Jeep also did not come stock with an 800 dollar Griffen rad either. Wonder why the engineers and bean counters did not install one.

They didn't install one because what they installed works just as well for 1/5 the cost.
Wonder since those engineers know so much, just why in the PHUC did they install a Dana 35 and think that would be ok on any level to include just rolling in a straight line?
When my buddy worked at the Jeep dealer during the years the TJ was still in production and under warranty, I told him that his life must be just a barrel of laughs having to work on all those broken Dana 35 rear axles.

What are you talking about he asks? We never get them in under warranty, they just don't have any problems.

I got to pondering that some and realized he was in fact correct, they don't have issues when used as designed. After some more pondering, I got to figuring just how many Jeeps have a D-35 under them with no issues and decided that my dream as a designer would be to design a product, any product with the production numbers of the D-35 and the exact same or slightly worse attrition rate. It is a very successful product.

Tell the truth, did you know what chelation was before he posted up?
Don't you know, his "personal first hand experience" (as opposed to what, personal second hand??) dictates such? Apparently my tenure as a R&D chemist in the semiconductor world working on metal etchants is no match to that of a muffler shop owner...

Don't you know, his "personal first hand experience" (as opposed to what, personal second hand??) dictates such? Apparently my tenure as a R&D chemist in the semiconductor world working on metal etchants is no match to that of a muffler shop owner...
Do you even $800 Radiator bro?

Sadly, I wish the auto versions were just that much now.
Yeh, it looks like the one for the autos is at about 325.00. One thing I question is the part breakdown. I thought the radiators for the TJ's were all the same, except for auto vs. manual. It looks like 97-02 used a different style than the 03-06
And since when does the CFS shit command a higher price than OEM?

Yeh, it looks like the one for the autos is at about 325.00. One thing I question is the part breakdown. I thought the radiators for the TJ's were all the same, except for auto vs. manual. It looks like 97-02 used a different style than the 03-06
And since when does the CFS shit command a higher price than OEM?
There is a different in cooler line connections. That may cause them to translate that to the manual as well. Some early 97's have different AC line connection locations is the only fitment issue I know of other than RHD. If you do find yourself in need and the only option is a RHD, you can make it work by unbolting the mounting flanges off the old one and swapping them onto the new core. The cores are the same, just the flanges are different.

I don't know anything about CFS except we bought some early on and found out they were both poorly made and cooled far less than OEM.

Reactions: williambmac
An $800 radiator…classic. Can’t think of anything I’d rather spend my money on!….except 3-4 Mopar radiators, or practically anything else. I have never seen a stock engine overheat on the stock radiator in good condition and that’s usually solid for 100K, 10 years, in many cases much more than those numbers.

Let’s evaluate the purpose for the $800 cost.

Is it for extra cooling? Nope. It’s already proven that the stock radiator cools more than enough to where a thermostat is needed, so clearly the $800 radiator isn’t improving on that front.

So is it for longevity? Doubt it. Never seen anything all metal in the aftermarket last even close to as long as stock, much less 3-4x stock to justify the cost. So that’s not the reason to buy either.

So is it the shiny aspect that makes the cost worth it? $800 is a lot for shiny. Certainly not to me, actually I feel they look tacky AF, sticking out like a sore thumb under the hood with everything else looking normal. It looks noticeably “modded” for no real reason.

In short, I’ll keep my Mopar and save my $570. But I also don’t have the coolant smarts of muffler man so maybe he knows something I don’t.

You may know this answer. I see lots of warnings about not mixing the Chrysler long life pink coolant with the standard green coolant. What will actually happen if you do so? The reason is when I fired my 97 up, it had an odd temperature reaction so we shut it down and started checking the cooling system starting with the thermostat housing. There was a gel build-up in the cavity the temp sender plugs into. What might have caused that?

Reactions: pc1p
You may know this answer. I see lots of warnings about not mixing the Chrysler long life pink coolant with the standard green coolant. What will actually happen if you do so? The reason is when I fired my 97 up, it had an odd temperature reaction so we shut it down and started checking the cooling system starting with the thermostat housing. There was a gel build-up in the cavity the temp sender plugs into. What might have caused that?
I don't know about the Mopar coolant, but GM Dex-cool doesn't like Ethylene based coolants. It gels up over time.

Regular antifreeze is composed of water mixed with methanol and ethylene glycol. These products are mixed and placed into your cars engine to allow higher boiling points to prevent your car from overheating. DEX-COOL, as well as other organic acid antifreezes, are not glycol based.

Reactions: mrblaine
I’m certainly no expert but if I remember right, the stock conventional green stuff in the early Jeeps is IAT and the later pink stuff is HOAT. I believe IAT and HOAT are both types of ethylene glycol? I think the problems arise when OAT gets mixed with HOAT. I dunno, but I converted from green to Zerex just fine and I did a pretty half ass version of a flush to do that (made up the decision to not be too worried after googling plenty). Never a problem. In other vehicles they call for HOAT and POs put in conventional green. No problems there either.

I think dex cool is OAT and doesn’t play nicely with mixing really at all.

I think a lot of people assume it is a propylene glycol vs ethylene glycol issue, but I'm not sure that is the case as the two are generally miscible (I have never checked a chart but know in large cooling systems, no one ever really worries about mixing or gelling issues between the two). I'm not super familiar with the various additives in the modern coolants (like the pink stuff), and I've personally never experienced this gelling issue, but my guess would be that when a traditional green antifreeze (ethylene-glycol base, inorganic acid) is added to OAT (organic acid) type antifreezes, the silicates become the problem. Without knowing the chemistry that well, I would suspect that the silicates are either hydrating (possibly through a reaction of silicic acid) or are making a colloid of some sort.

I think a lot of people assume is a propylene glycol vs ethylene glycol issue, but I'm not sure that is the case as the two are generally miscible (I have never checked a chart but know in large cooling systems, no one ever really worries about mixing or gelling issues between the two). I'm not super familiar with the various additives in the modern coolants (like the pink stuff), and I've personally never experienced this gelling issue, but my guess would be that when a traditional green antifreeze (ethylene-glycol base, inorganic acid) is added to OAT (organic acid) type antifreezes, the silicates become the problem. Without knowing the chemistry that well, I would suspect that the silicates are either hydrating (possibly through a reaction of silicic acid) or are making a colloid of some sort.
That was the discussion my helper and I had. He related that he mixed the two half and half and tossed it on a shelf and nothing happened. I said while that was valid for part of it, neither of us knew how hot and cold cycles would or would not change the outcome. His position was since they were both similar types of coolant base with just a different additive package to extend the service interval that it shouldn't matter. My position was how do we know?

Reactions: pc1p
That was the discussion my helper and I had. He related that he mixed the two half and half and tossed it on a shelf and nothing happened. I said while that was valid for part of it, neither of us knew how hot and cold cycles would or would not change the outcome. His position was since they were both similar types of coolant base with just a different additive package to extend the service interval that it shouldn't matter. My position was how do we know?
For sure - while his "shelf test" shows miscibility and stability at normal ambient temperatures, it is hardly representative of what the inside of the engine is seeing. Heat is a mother fucker and definitely would impact chemistry over time. Couple this with the speciation of the various dissolved salts and acids, I think it would safe to say that the "shelf test" is hardly considered conclusive.

I mean a good anecdotal example is that people have indeed mixed the two without issues (at least not a gelling issue). However, there are many that have had issues. This shows that something is at play other than just solvent base.

Reactions: mrblaine