Anyone running or installed a lunchbox locker?

@DuncLJ Which LSD are you running? I’m looking to run this combo as I already have the lunchbox in the front. Having my regear in a couple weeks and looking at options. I have a brand new rebuilt traclok but thinking bout spending the cash for the Trutrac. I pretty much ruled out a selectable locker as I don’t want to spend that much for my off road needs.

I got a TracLok for sale if someone wants one.

I ran Spartans front and rear for a couple years. Worked awesome. I can't recommend them enough. But they're sitting in my garage collecting dust, still in the carrier's right now.

Did Detroit's TruTrac in back and Detroit locker in front when I put in 4.56s.
Happy as a clam, with no more clicking.

Reactions: DuncLJ
I believe the key to wheeling in the snow is not to be locked in the front, but I have no experience with these things. An E-locker would be ideal, but too rich for my blood.
I ran a lockrite in a cj7 22 years ago in Alaska, I put it in the front, it was not an issue. Just some chatter if you were braking with one wheel on ice and one on dry pavement. It pulled real good in the snow...but I also had a limited slip in the rear.

I ran Spartans front and rear for a couple years. Worked awesome. I can't recommend them enough. But they're sitting in my garage collecting dust, still in the carrier's right now.

Did Detroit's TruTrac in back and Detroit locker in front when I put in 4.56s.
Happy as a clam, with no more clicking.
what axles did you have the spartans in?

@DuncLJ Which LSD are you running? I’m looking to run this combo as I already have the lunchbox in the front. Having my regear in a couple weeks and looking at options. I have a brand new rebuilt traclok but thinking bout spending the cash for the Trutrac. I pretty much ruled out a selectable locker as I don’t want to spend that much for my off road needs.
I have a Detroit TruTrac in the Dana 44 rear, Aussie Dana 30 up front. Great combo. I'm on 32's on a 2.5" lift. I do trails, rocks, mud, snow. Never had any problems. Nothing extreme, just good fun off-roading.

Reactions: jazngab
I ran a lockrite in a cj7 22 years ago in Alaska, I put it in the front, it was not an issue. Just some chatter if you were braking with one wheel on ice and one on dry pavement. It pulled real good in the snow...but I also had a limited slip in the rear.
This is good to hear. I’m running the PowerTrax no slip up front and we’re moving to snow country soon. I was concerned but reading this and other on other forums that it’s okay in the snow gives me hope

This is good to hear. I’m running the PowerTrax no slip up front and we’re moving to snow country soon. I was concerned but reading this and other on other forums that it’s okay in the snow gives me hope
While selectable is the ideal choice it does boil down to adjusting your driving technique to work with the equipment you have.

Reactions: JMT and astjp2
I had a No-Slip in the front of my full-size Blazer (10-bolt). Super easy to install and I actually snapped an axle shaft without the locker letting go. Had a full Detroit in the rear (14-bolt).

FB_IMG_1472567351065.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: JMT
Had an aussie and loved it. Absolutely incredible off road when you can actually pull up obstacles. The only time I found it sketchy was driving in the snow and shifting gears. The off power/ pause/ back on power would cause the front to pull to a side. After a few runs you get used to its quirks. Nothing to deter me from doing it all over again.

Reactions: JMT
My Spartan lunch box came today, going to put it in tomorrow and plan on testing it in the snow tomorrow and ice is coming on Saturday... I will see how it does. Despite hearing the "bad" things about them on snow and ice I'm really excited!

Reactions: M35A2
My Spartan lunch box came today, going to put it in tomorrow and plan on testing it in the snow tomorrow and ice is coming on Saturday... I will see how it does. Despite hearing the "bad" things about them on snow and ice I'm really excited!

Just go easy on the skinny pedal and you should be fine.

Reactions: Kyle
The new lunchbox locker will be much better behaved in 2wd. Shifting into 4Hi or 4Lo will make it much more difficult for the locker to unlock when making turns, especially on snow or ice. Staying with neutral throttle while making turns in 4Hi or 4Lo will give the locker a fighting chance of unlocking while in a turn.

Accelerating or decelerating while turning left/right in 4x4 on an icy surface will assuredly keep the locker firmly locked and cause slipping/sliding during the turn. Neutral throttle is the secret to helping that new lunchbox locker behave through turns when you're in 4x4. It's a non-issue in 2wd.

This will all become second nature before long. Really. :)

Reactions: Sancho
The new lunchbox locker will be much better behaved in 2wd. Shifting into 4Hi or 4Lo will make it much more difficult for the locker to unlock when making turns, especially on snow or ice. Staying with neutral throttle while making turns in 4Hi or 4Lo will give the locker a fighting chance of unlocking while in a turn.

Accelerating or decelerating while turning left/right in 4x4 on an icy surface will assuredly keep the locker firmly locked and cause slipping/sliding during the turn. Neutral throttle is the secret to helping that new lunchbox locker behave through turns when you're in 4x4. It's a non-issue in 2wd.

Good to hear.. now that laguna and big bear are getting snow... time to test out my new front aussie!

I agree here. I ran power trax in a previous rig. I did not like the way it drove at any speed above 20 in 4wd. Always was a bit unpredictable to me. It was in a much lighter vehicle though. Just my 2 cents. YMMV
It was great off road at slower speeds though.