Are all hood louvers equal?

Everyone i have seen in person looks the same. Some logos more obnoxious than others. Really wish i didnt have stupid spyders all over my jeep!

this is 100% why I have no visible poison spyder products on my Jeep (rear bumper frame tie-ins were too small for their logo, I guess).

If it was a simple, small logo, that would be one thing, but that damn spyder belongs on a 1-2 sizes too small $50 Affliction brand t-shirt, not a TJ.

Or, said another way, it would be right at home on a JKU.

Wouldn't this hold water between the hood and louver, creating a corrosion issue?
maybe, I'm used to down here in TX, water under matt black anything isn't going to stay there for long, and if you run the jeep the hood would probably get hot enough to encourage evaporation. plus the hood is painted too, and I don't expect the edges of the plate to be watertight, so I imagine it would just flow down off the hood, you might get a little water stuck at the edge, but I don't think it would be enough to cause a real problem.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
For some reason I do wish all the vents faced the same way rather than the ones closest to the windshield opening forward, hell I'd be happy if those six vents were not there at all.
I want to say genright has a bunch more facing forward compared to PS. @rasband can you show us your genright one?

I have paint damage on mine and just couldn't get up the nerve to cut my hood. I went the easy route this morning.

Rubi hood decal 2 (2).jpg

@Chris , are you going to actually cut the hood and vent it, or just put the louver ontop without actually cutting the vent holes?

I am going to cut.

Well well well. @Chris going for a hood louver!

My louver came from Amazon. From many reviews I believe it is made at same place as the poison spyder louver without the logo. It black powder coated and aluminum. They make two versions to accommodate the different years that have one washer nozzle or two.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NL31QRS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I like that one, thanks for this!

I figure this is a better option than repainting my hood. My TJ already has so much black armor that this will look right at home.

Mine is PS. Aside from the logo, it's pretty much the same as the Amazon Chinese knock off I've seen on a few other Jeeps with the exception of the paint. The PS seems to be higher quality paint.

I can say I'm not impressed with the hardware PS provided. Shiny soft metal hex bolts. Two striped out trying to tighten them down. Partly my fault for not drilling out the hole wide enough but it's clear they could have included better hardware. If only the black hex bolts I've seen around didn't rust so easily.

I chose the poison Spyder one because I liked that it used screws/nuts instead of posts permanently attached to the piece itself. The screws/nuts would be easily replaceable in my mind, if needed. I can’t remember which brand(s) had the studs on them. I didn’t particularly care or want the logo, but I sprayed some black paint in that area before bolting it down and I don’t even really notice it. @Chris ’ Jeep is a lot taller than mine so I think it would be even less noticeable. I also painted the screw heads black before installation and then dabbed a little paint on them where needed from the Allen wrench scuffing them up.

Never had any issues with water getting in there. Occasionally after sitting outside in a storm, I may hear the fan belt chirp on initial start up, but that’s it.

My 2 cents!
While still living in South Florida I installed the Poison Spider vented louver. Cut the hood vents as well as counter sunk all the screw holes to make a cleaner install.

I can say that there was a noticeable reduction of heat radiating through the floor, as it was now able to vent up and out through the vented hood.

I have been fortunate that I have been able to park the Jeep in covered parking in Florida and here in Hawaii as well. I don't know if all the rain entering through the open louvers would increase corrosion in the engine bay over time?

As for the spider logo? It's a pain in the butt! Can't even recall how many times the sponge has caught while washing, or the cloth while waxing, no logo would be better for the louver.

I do recommend the vented hood for sure. And spend the time to counter sink the holes and buy quality stainless steel flat head screws!

Reactions: Chris
Any hood louver can be installed either way, rivets or nuts/bolts.

Yep, going back and forth on whether rivets or nuts / bolts would be better.

I have paint damage on mine and just couldn't get up the nerve to cut my hood. I went the easy route this morning.

View attachment 203808

I wonder if the paint issue seems to be more common on flame red. That's my color, and I remember someone around here posting that they had tiny little cracks in the paint on their flame red TJ as well.

I recently got an extended recall notice for flaking paint for my wife's 10 year old, 140k mile Toyota, which has no signs of any paint problems. Not likely we could expect the same from FCA. :rolleyes:

I never had any issues on my previous flame red hood. Paint was in phenomenal shape for being 21 years old. My replacement spent its years on the western slope and is another story; cracked and chipped paint everywhere

Ive never met anyone who praised the paint quality on 90s-00s chrysler products. I also think alot of jeeps dont get love that other vehicles do in terms of frequent waxing, etc...

My paint isnt perfect on my 2003 jeep, however, its in alot better shape than my 2015 volkswagen...

I never had any issues on my previous flame red hood. Paint was in phenomenal shape for being 21 years old. My replacement spent its years on the western slope and is another story; cracked and chipped paint everywhere

interesting.

I don't have a lot of data. My dad always told me growing up that red paint didn't take to the sun as well as other colors, and between my 1999 Forest Green Pearl which has glaring signs of poor treatment and the 2006 Flame Red with an engine quieter than my wife's Toyota, the red one has tons of little tiny cracks and the green one has none. Maybe I just have one Jeep that got garaged while it went 10k miles between oil changes and another that got meticulously maintained while spending it's days outside.

interesting.

I don't have a lot of data. My dad always told me growing up that red paint didn't take to the sun as well as other colors, and between my 1999 Forest Green Pearl which has glaring signs of poor treatment and the 2006 Flame Red with an engine quieter than my wife's Toyota, the red one has tons of little tiny cracks and the green one has none. Maybe I just have one Jeep that got garaged while it went 10k miles between oil changes and another that got meticulously maintained while spending it's days outside.
I used to wax my jeep a couple times a year. Maybe that i why it was in such amazing shape. I was pissed at myself for butchering it with the high lines.

attachment.jpg
PSLouvre.jpg