Arizona Rock Crawler

The Jeep just feels incredible to drive. I can’t even believe the difference in drivability when you tweak all of the little things possible (and some big things) that lead to the best possible steering.
I know shocks play a big role in how a rig feels and drives, but I now think maximizing steering is way underrated when it comes to overall driving performance.
Are you noticing a difference just in the backspacing change since earlier today?

Are you noticing a difference just in the backspacing change since earlier today?
It’s hard to tell what’s what at this point. So many changes have been made. I can say the Jeep drives straighter now. What I mean by that is it isn’t trying to follow ruts and whatnot in the road. It also seems like it turns nicer now around sharp corners but I know that’s such a subjective fluffy way to say it.
I don’t know if it’s the aluminum wheels or what but the Jeep feels stiffer. Almost like there’s less sidewall flex going on when making hard turns.
Also, my front end used to be wider than the rear end by an inch on each side. I now have rear spacers to make them even. I don’t know enough about the effect of that on handling to say if that plays a role but the Jeep feels more stable going around turns.

Overall I think I’ve maximized everything from wheel material, backspacing, caster, steering box, torsion bar, stabilizer, hydro assist, pump, bigger upper control arm joints. I think all the little things just add up to a great overall feel.

It’s hard to tell what’s what at this point. So many changes have been made. I can say the Jeep drives straighter now. What I mean by that is it isn’t trying to follow ruts and whatnot in the road. It also seems like it turns nicer now around sharp corners but I know that’s such a subjective fluffy way to say it.
I don’t know if it’s the aluminum wheels or what but the Jeep feels stiffer. Almost like there’s less sidewall flex going on when making hard turns.
Also, my front end used to be wider than the rear end by an inch on each side. I now have rear spacers to make them even. I don’t know enough about the effect of that on handling to say if that plays a role but the Jeep feels more stable going around turns.

Overall I think I’ve maximized everything from wheel material, backspacing, caster, steering box, torsion bar, stabilizer, hydro assist, pump, bigger upper control arm joints. I think all the little things just add up to a great overall feel.
On the subject of backspacing and SAI, for a while years ago I ran a bit less BS than my current 3.75". when I pulled the wheels in to where they are now, I did notice a little less steering input from the road after hitting a sizeable bump. My thinking is that with too little BS and the resulting increased leverage against the ball joints, an impact can pivot that wheel backwards and induce steering. A heavy damper can reduce this input. Your hydro assist even more so, and is only helped with the 4" BS.

Last edited:
On the subject of backspacing and SAI, for a while years ago I ran a bit more BS than my current 3.75". when I pulled the wheels in to where they are now, I did notice a little less steering input from the road after hitting a sizeable bump. My thinking is that with too little BS and the resulting increased leverage against the ball joints, an impact can pivot that wheel backwards and induce steering. A heavy damper can reduce this input. Your hydro assist even more so, and is only helped with the 4" BS.
Yes exactly. It did feel better over bumps as well. It’s all working together to create a very stock TJ feel.

Reactions: jjvw
Enjoying the heck out of driving this thing in some beautiful weather last few days.
22DDC8E1-5A2C-4C96-B55B-75C7F95D73B6.jpeg

I’m going to be wheeling for a while before I tackle any more projects. After all, rigs are made to be in the rocks, not in the garage! But we have the next project lined up already. Time to correct some geometry 😉.
392A78D2-35A9-441E-9769-332BF3593CE4.jpeg

What you’re looking at is the genright midarm frame brackets, a savvy truss, and some little towers that I will use to extend the upper mounts higher. Genright makes these brackets to accommodate rigs with no body lift, despite it being poor geometry. What Blaine used to do prior to the savvy kit, was weld these little towers on to extend the uppers. This increases the frame vertical separation and decreases the anti squat to make the rig climb better. All I need to do now is make some links on my buddies lathe and order some joints.

I realize that outboarding is probably a more bang for buck next step. Maybe I’ll outboard at the same time. I want to do the midarm first though so that when I do outboard, I don’t have to deal with the trackbar mount or the axle swing. Also, the terrain I wheel in is a LOT of climbs. The value of having a rig that can climb calm and safe as possible can not be understated in AZ.
B8E84F69-E941-4A91-9C1D-4BD280454CDC.jpeg
D430E7AB-3ADC-4D35-B0E6-5D3F9A812796.jpeg
20EF7E3A-CC1E-4ED3-888E-CC6A9231B537.jpeg
9BA74C0B-595C-48F9-A97F-C5BFA65D69F3.jpeg
328B031D-24AD-475B-98FB-D1208B4BA8F5.jpeg
0C2F7B67-0C17-4811-A5E3-D408C559A8D4.jpeg

I want to do the midarm first though so that when I do outboard, I don’t have to deal with the trackbar mount or the axle swing.
We ignored the track bar doing mine since a midarm is a likely eventuality, and just put it where it could go (we did cycle of course to make sure there wasn't any interference).

I’m going to be wheeling for a while before I tackle any more projects. After all, rigs are made to be in the rocks, not in the garage! But we have the next project lined up already. Time to correct some geometry 😉.
View attachment 317873

What you’re looking at is the genright midarm frame brackets, a savvy truss, and some little towers that I will use to extend the upper mounts higher. Genright makes these brackets to accommodate rigs with no body lift, despite it being poor geometry. What Blaine used to do prior to the savvy kit, was weld these little towers on to extend the uppers. This increases the frame vertical separation and decreases the anti squat to make the rig climb better. All I need to do now is make some links on my buddies lathe and order some joints.

I realize that outboarding is probably a more bang for buck next step. Maybe I’ll outboard at the same time. I want to do the midarm first though so that when I do outboard, I don’t have to deal with the trackbar mount or the axle swing. Also, the terrain I wheel in is a LOT of climbs. The value of having a rig that can climb calm and safe as possible can not be understated in AZ.
View attachment 317876View attachment 317877View attachment 317878View attachment 317879View attachment 317881View attachment 317882
Can’t beat having someone like Blaine, with his knowledge, on this forum to guide us. If it can be done he can tell you if it is good bad or a waste of time. Good stuff.

After all, rigs are made to be in the rocks, not in the garage
I share these sentiments 100%! I'm itching to get out of the garage, difference is your winter wheeling looks sublime and my winter wheeling just equals MUD which I refuse to partake in, so its an okay time to be stuck in garage.

It will be cool to incrementally feel the impacts of each change.

Reactions: starkey480
I share these sentiments 100%! I'm itching to get out of the garage, difference is your winter wheeling looks sublime and my winter wheeling just equals MUD which I refuse to partake in, so its an okay time to be stuck in garage.

It will be cool to incrementally feel the impacts of each change.
salt for me.........but it's been raining every few days and more tomrw, i think by next wk it'd be safe to get it out again.

i can't give any real reasons other than a mid arm makes sense. link mounting location changes allow the sys to operate more efficiently.

Reactions: jjvw and starkey480
View attachment 317873

Stirring the pot! 🤣

Reactions: starkey480
I’m getting a fucking house!!!!!
E6DBE354-C16A-45AA-B6B0-9D353D676B82.jpeg

Our offer got accepted this morning. This process has been really hard. Believe it or not, it took longer than finding new wheels for the Jeep 😂

Investors are buying everything out here for 40k over asking price. It makes it virtually impossible for young couples who are not cash heavy to get a house. We got very lucky in this situation, the house is owned by an old lady who loves her house. She took immaculate care of it. We wrote her a letter and she decided to turn down the higher offers from investors and sell the house to us because she wanted to see people move in who would love her house like she did. A very rare and fortunate circumstance that I am feeling very grateful for. Here’s to hoping everything closes smoothly.

I’m getting a fucking house!!!!!
View attachment 318116

Our offer got accepted this morning. This process has been really hard. Believe it or not, it took longer than finding new wheels for the Jeep 😂

Investors are buying everything out here for 40k over asking price. It makes it virtually impossible for young couples who are not cash heavy to get a house. We got very lucky in this situation, the house is owned by an old lady who loves her house. She took immaculate care of it. We wrote her a letter and she decided to turn down the higher offers from investors and sell the house to us because she wanted to see people move in who would love her house like she did. A very rare and fortunate circumstance that I am feeling very grateful for. Here’s to hoping everything closes smoothly.
Congrats! We went through a similar situation when we bought. An older widow who had lived there since the house was new, we wrote a letter and attached a picture of the family. She accepted our offer since she wanted another family to grow up in "her" house. We still call her "Saint Marion". 😂