Baby steps build

Who’s got pics of cycling their suspension?? I’ve read threads and at the moment bumpstop for 31s and 3” coils is the order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With 3" coils and 31's, you are really bump stopping to keep the shock from bottoming out. A 31" will have plenty of wheel well clearance.

With 3" coils and 31's, you are really bump stopping to keep the shock from bottoming out. A 31" will have plenty of wheel well clearance.

So basically cycle the springs and bump stop an inch or so more than where the shock will bottom out right?

Rob's right brah. I can tell you this much, with Rancho RS5000X shocks for a 2.5" lift, you will need 1" extended bump stops to keep the shock happy.

Well here are a few pics. I must say that I like the look of 3” front springs and 2” I’m the back (haven’t done the back yet) so now I’m contemplating switching them for 2” because I don’t want the front rake issue. Took her for a ride on the Highway and there are no noticeable vibes. Also when braking hard it doesn’t lean forward as much at all. Now my rear still has the BB 2” pucks, stock springs and Pro Comp ES3000. I noticed the front is much smoother and not as bouncy and not as much body roll when disco’d. I never thought I would notice this much but thus far I’m very impressed and excited about the BDS springs at least in front with Ranchos. The rear is garbage and I imagine will feel like a caddy once I swap them out. Now to contemplate the pro’s and cons of running 2” in the rear.
d07e99c53c5974607beadf2f39f71c90.jpg
before
bbe65c7cb90e375f9c4b4bfa3b25e452.jpg
after
4c764cae0fdbf131a34ba046aa2818a2.jpg
front driver before
907cd031bee41ad358488364c55174b5.jpg
rear driver before.
Now it’s about 7” all around besides the 3/8 to 5/8 drop on the one side which Is not noticeable. More updates soon with Ranchos in the rear and spring decision.
I know my pics suck and they’re always at night with a blacked out Jeep and I’ll get some better day shots this weekend.

Reactions: JMT and bobthetj03
I'm thinking you need some satin colored wheels to offset all the black.

Wait... Are you considering running 3" front springs and 2" rear springs? So like a reverse rake? I must be misunderstanding.

I'm thinking you need some satin colored wheels to offset all the black.

Wait... Are you considering running 3" front springs and 2" rear springs? So like a reverse rake? I must be misunderstanding.

You are right about the wheels. Yes I’m thinking about it. Someone posted that they run that with BDS but I can’t remember who. I need to find out if the rear springs push it up much higher. If it’s exactly an inch I’m okay with that. Just not entirely sure of the disadvantages to running 2” in rear.

I think I’m just confused as to why you would want the front to be 1” higher than the rear?

I think I’m just confused as to why you would want the front to be 1” higher than the rear?

Right now I only have the front done and the rear has 2 inch pucks. It is pretty level at the moment but I did just look at dla and nk24 pics who are running BDS. dla has the 3/2 combo. nk24 has the 3” f/r which looks fine. So my hope is not too much rake if any at all. The springs are rated for less in the rear anyways.

Reactions: Chris
Ahh, that makes sense now! I thought you actually wanted it to be higher in the front, like noticeably higher. I was thinking, “but why?”. Haha

Right now I only have the front done and the rear has 2 inch pucks. It is pretty level at the moment but I did just look at dla and nk24 pics who are running BDS. dla has the 3/2 combo. nk24 has the 3” f/r which looks fine. So my hope is not too much rake if any at all. The springs are rated for less in the rear anyways.

82e14e08a8e2269ef8ad1894b4f59294.jpg
this is how it sits right now.

Ahh, that makes sense now! I thought you actually wanted it to be higher in the front, like noticeably higher. I was thinking, “but why?”. Haha

Haha not at all. I would like it to be pretty close to level for sure.

Tested to see if my bump stop was good today with tires on. Found a dirt hill close by and with 31s and 2” bumpstop at full stuff I got into the flares. Not the actual fender. Once again this is just the front with 3” BDS springs.
43f1e18835db04613a2aba05a68ad2ac.jpg
eb11452956ad5c7ac23dac4aa6f0868b.jpg
11310189b07669bf49ceefa618088a18.jpg
checked both sides. Everything cleared from what I could see. Now I can hear a bad LCA bushing on take off I believe but I do have some 16” fixed ones in the garage that just need a few bushings and they’re good to go if I can pin it down to that.

If you are keeping it light with no armor or heavy bumper/tire carrier you're going to end up with at least a 1"-1½" forward rake with the 3" rears.

Like I said in your other thread, the 2" rears netted me at least 2½" of lift. Measuring the way you are, tire to flare I still have nearly a 1/2" rake towards the front.

flare-to-tire-front.jpg

flare-to-tire-rear.jpg

If you are keeping it light with no armor or heavy bumper/tire carrier you're going to end up with at least a 1"-1½" forward rake with the 3" rears.

Like I said in your other thread, the 2" rears netted me at least 2½" of lift. Measuring the way you are, tire to flare I still have nearly a 1/2" rake towards the front.

View attachment 30495

View attachment 30496

Thanks for that, I’m doing the rear next weekend and I’ll decide very soon. I love how the 2” levels it out but I want to make sure that’s the way I want to go because I don’t want to do this again anytime soon. I also have the 1/2” lean and may get a spacer. Not noticeable to the naked eye but it’s there.

Reactions: dla
I think the 3"/2" is a good idea. Worst case scenario, you add a little spacer in the rear if you don't like the rake. If you really want to know what the rake is, measure from the welds on the lower control arm bracket where it's welded to the frame.

Thanks for that, I’m doing the rear next weekend and I’ll decide very soon. I love how the 2” levels it out but I want to make sure that’s the way I want to go because I don’t want to do this again anytime soon. I also have the 1/2” lean and may get a spacer. Not noticeable to the naked eye but it’s there.

@dla what made you decide to run 2” springs in the back? Did you inquire about it or just decide on your own to take a chance?

I think the 3"/2" is a good idea. Worst case scenario, you add a little spacer in the rear if you don't like the rake. If you really want to know what the rake is, measure from the welds on the lower control arm bracket where it's welded to the frame.

I’m leaning towards it for now. I may call them tomorrow and inquire about it. The rears do have a lesser spring rate so it may adjust but dla’s set up is pretty dang level.

I’m leaning towards it for now. I may call them tomorrow and inquire about it. The rears do have a lesser spring rate so it may adjust but dla’s set up is pretty dang level.

Do you know what that spring rate is?

Did a 5/8 TC drop today. Painted the aluminum spacers and painted the rear sway bar end links red even tho they won’t be seen. They showed up with a Zone sticker on the box. I’m getting quite a sticker collection.
2667b8622f7d76823bff9965272f542a.jpg
the paint came off in huge chips/chunks. New skid in the works and some sanding and painting to be done.
3126226ef2b331473d587332f8181d05.jpg
banner red looks almost orange to me. A good part for a test run color. I’d like to add that the TC drop took care of the clank and the vibes!! Bonus!!