Barbara Sylvanas do it all build

Wow that's quite a site. Thanks for the suggestion.

The secret to an accurate calculation is understanding that the tire size you enter is not the one on the side wall. The size that matters is the radius from the ground to the hub center x2. Keep this in mind when you are estimating larger tire sizes.

You can also arrive at your hub height by entering your existing numbers into the calculator and adjust the tire size until the calculator matches what you see on the gauge cluster for a certain speed.

FWiW, mine is setup for 3k rpm at 75mph.

The secret to an accurate calculation is understanding that the tire size you enter is not the one on the side wall. The size that matters is the radius from the ground to the hub center x2. Keep this in mind when you are estimating larger tire sizes.

You can also arrive at your hub height by entering your existing numbers into the calculator and adjust the tire size until the calculator matches what you see on the gauge cluster for a certain speed.

FWiW, mine is setup for 3k rpm at 75mph.

And I'm guessing this varies. Like not all 35"s are the same and the size of the wheel too. So I need to decide exactly what I want or is there room to guessimate slightly?

And I'm guessing this varies. Like not all 35"s are the same and the size of the wheel too. So I need to decide exactly what I want or is there room to guessimate slightly?

The steps between gear ratios and tire sizes are what they are. But if you are interested in accuracy, then this will get you close and far closer than might be needed to get the job done.

Reactions: DrDmoney
The steps between gear ratios and tire sizes are what they are. But if you are interested in accuracy, then this will get you close and far closer than might be needed to get the job done.

I do like accuracy. A thought I had about wheels is if I go for JK wheels and get the converter from the TJ would that potentially give a little more space for the 35" tires or is that not how it works?

I do like accuracy. A thought I had about wheels is if I go for JK wheels and get the converter from the TJ would that potentially give a little more space for the 35" tires or is that not how it works?
That is mostly a discussion about backspacing, sidewall, bigger brakes.... The overall tire size itself is what it is regardless of how big the hole in the middle might be.

Well built locked, lifted and geared TJs come up for sale all the time here in CA. I hope you've done the math on this build. Just as an example take a look at this and compare.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/big-bear-lake-2000-jeep-wrangler/6886785356.html

This guy is 25K in and selling for 16K. That's you in three years. You'd potentially even be ahead just buying something like this and swapping his back to stock. And this ad isn't exactly new.

Well built locked, lifted and geared TJs come up for sale all the time here in CA. I hope you've done the math on this build. Just as an example take a look at this and compare.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/big-bear-lake-2000-jeep-wrangler/6886785356.html

This guy is 25K in and selling for 16K. That's you in three years. You'd potentially even be ahead just buying something like this and swapping his back to stock. And this ad isn't exactly new.

I'm okay with it. I appreciate the warning but it is much more rewarding in so many ways if I build this Jeep and make it my own. I consider it money well spent. I have no intention of ever selling it anyways. Money isn't a concern for me.

I'm okay with it. I appreciate the warning but it is much more rewarding in so many ways if I build this Jeep and make it my own. I consider it money well spent. I have no intention of ever selling it anyways. Money isn't a concern for me.
Just an option not a warning. I enjoy the process too.

Just to throw this out there, but since you are aiming for a combo duty rig would 33's be a more logical choice?
Probably in my opinion too. You can go almost anywhere in the US on 33's.

And yeah, I'd stick with that 32rh transmission for sure. The 42rle has it's own possible issues

Almost anywhere. For me, 33s have been a nice halfway point for a slow build to 35s.

Just to throw this out there, but since you are aiming for a combo duty rig would 33's be a more logical choice?

Yea this has always been at the back of my mind. I feel like I should go with the more logical choice since 35" really aren't necessary.

Almost anywhere. For me, 33s have been a nice halfway point for a slow build to 35s.

I'm glad you commented because I was about to mention that your thread has shown me that 33" can handle pretty much anything thrown at them. This topic is a constant battle of want and I know I don't need. I feel like going 33" would be better since I am using her as my daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobthetj03
If you had an LJ then I'd be more on board with 35's cause they just seem to fit an LJ's profile better. 35's on a TJ just seem too big, and that is just my opinion, not bashing on folks with 35's.

You could gear to 4.56's and run 33's to see how you feel about it. If it just isn't your cup of tea, the 4.56's would still be ok for 35's as an all purpose rig, IMO.

Whether I "need" them or not, 35s will likely happen after one more set of 33s. The Jeep is built for them and will do quite well with that size.

Early on when the general plan took form, the idea was to run 33s but slowly over-build for 35s even if I never went that far. Mine is in a weird place today where I would not encourage others to follow the specific path I took in recent years.

Separately from the tire size, raising the underside is incredibly valuable. So is the approach and departure. I made an unwise decision with my rear carrier on that front.

The rear outboard with nicer shocks is one of my most favorite things I've done. The Antirock falls into a similar category.

And I always appreciate the seat heaters when I use them!

Reactions: Classic>New
If you had an LJ then I'd be more on board with 35's cause they just seem to fit an LJ's profile better. 35's on a TJ just seem too big, and that is just my opinion, not bashing on folks with 35's.

I haven't seen all that many TJ's with 35" so I can't speak on this but I can see what you are saying. I have seen pictures but they only do so much justice.

You could gear to 4.56's and run 33's to see how you feel about it. If it just isn't your cup of tea, the 4.56's would still be ok for 35's as an all purpose rig, IMO.

Well that's the thing... Wouldn't 4.1 be better for 33" though? This isn't something I know much about but from what I have read it seemed to me like 4.56 was more 35" territory while 4.1 fit the 33" better. I could be completely wrong here so please advise.

Whether I "need" them or not, 35s will likely happen after one more set of 33s. The Jeep is built for them and will do quite well with that size.

Early on when the general plan took form, the idea was to run 33s but slowly over-build for 35s even if I never went that far. Mine is in a weird place today where I would not encourage others to follow the specific path I took in recent years.

Separately from the tire size, raising the underside is incredibly valuable. So is the approach and departure. I made an unwise decision with my rear carrier on that front.

The rear outboard with nicer shocks is one of my most favorite things I've done. The Antirock falls into a similar category.

And I always appreciate the seat heaters when I use them!

My heart tells me to go with 35" but my head says go with 33". The original plan was 35" and that is what I think I am going to stick with. If anything I feel like it would be easier to go from 35" to 33" if I end up not liking the 35" rather than the other way around. But that is what I feel even if it may not be true. Your carrier in the back is heavier than most if I recall correctly?

Absurdly heavy. My fantasies of running out of gas somewhere far away from everywhere have never been fulfilled. I don't need a way to carry two cans of gas. :(

Absurdly heavy. My fantasies of running out of gas somewhere far away from everywhere have never been fulfilled. I don't need a way to carry two cans of gas. :(

I would like to have a carrier that holds the cans merely because I like the look and the just in case factor but I feel like I could probably find a carrier that is lighter than yours but still has the two can capability.