Bosch 67655 fuel pump

Why aren't more people doing

Why aren't more people doing this? Are there major cons on the install???
My sending unit (level sensor) was no good. That would have been $78 alone. And I had a long crank so the check valve was going bad also. When I pulled my original pump assembly out of the tank the filter screen at the bottom fell off and what was inside resembled mud.

At $103 on rock auto, a complete Delphi drop in unit was a no brainer for me.

Reactions: FJQue
Why aren't more people doing

Why aren't more people doing this? Are there major cons on the install???
It isn’t as easy to do as some guides make it out to be, and in the end, if anything else needs to be replaced, it becomes cost prohibitive. Got a Delphi unit and so far no issues at all. Fully expect to have to replace it again in a few years but that’s life.

Reactions: FJQue
The entire fuel pump assembly is not needed, you can replace just the fuel pump itself. The fuel pump also contains the check valve to cure the problem with a bad/leaky check valve causing slow starts in the morning.

This Bosch fuel pump fits all 97-04 TJs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZL922/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I received my complete bosch fuel pump assembly a few years back destroyed in the box, and i took the fuel pump out of the broken housing, stuck it in my old housing and its worked like a charm ever since.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Depends on what you have.

There are 2 main groups of the pumps:
  • 97-04 TJ (and (some?) XJ) fuel pump is all one style of clamping ring and same size hole but there is 2 different styles of electrical connectors used (I'm not positive but I think the split happened in 03.).
  • 05-06 TJ through 2018 JK used the same connector and is compatible with the same style of clamping ring (some of the JK pumps need to be extended to reach the bottom of the TJ depth tank... I'm not sure which years or part numbers they are).

The TJ years have 3 style of plugs:

1. 97-02(?) 4 contacts 2 on 2.
  2. 03(?)-04 4 contacts in a single row.
  3. 05-06 4 contacts in a single row with a key.

If you remove the key from the 05-18 fuel pump the 03(?)-04 pump will work as long as you switch the order of the pump positive and negative wires (the fuel sending unit wires stay the same). The 2 on 2 style connector will require a different plug be crimped onto the vehicle side harness. The harnesses may need to be lengthened to reach the pump.

I'm not sure if all TJ years are compatible with the higher pressure (58psi) of the still available 05-06 TJ and 07-18 JK pumps. I have not noticed any issues with my i6 4.0L 2004 LJ as of yet but I also haven't put many miles on it with this pump yet.

The 05-06 fuel tank will fit into some (or most?) of the factory and aftermarket TJ skids.
Does anybody have a part number for the 05-06 fuel pumps? I haven’t been able to source it. I have an 05 with the tank dropped currently to do the check valve fix and the pump plastic that squeezes the rubber seal is just toast.

I had the exact same issue with that motorsport company. Ended up buying it at Napa and they had to ship it in from other side of usa. They also charged a very high price.

Does anybody have a part number for the 05-06 fuel pumps? I haven’t been able to source it. I have an 05 with the tank dropped currently to do the check valve fix and the pump plastic that squeezes the rubber seal is just toast.
Go to Rock Auto, I got a 05-06 pump from there for my LS conversion. Airtex e7200

Last edited by a moderator:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Did you try priming it first before cranking? may not be the pump, could be the check valve on the unit on top of the pump
The fuel pump's check valve is inside the fuel pump itself. That cylindrical unit on top of the assembly is the fuel pressure regulator/main fuel filter and only has a pressure relief valve, it's not the check valve that fails the most causing slow starts.

The fuel pump's check valve is inside the fuel pump itself. That cylindrical unit on top of the assembly is the fuel pressure regulator/main fuel filter and only has a pressure relief valve, it's not the check valve that fails the most causing slow starts.
@Jerry Bransford Hopefully you can please give me a little insight:

Last summer, I removed my Bosch fuel pump because it was intermittently working. Found out it was just an electrical short from below the tub causing the issue. I still have the original pump. That said, can I rebuild it for future use? -I’d appreciate any feedback.

@Jerry Bransford Hopefully you can please give me a little insight:

Last summer, I removed my Bosch fuel pump because it was intermittently working. Found out it was just an electrical short from below the tub causing the issue. I still have the original pump. That said, can I rebuild it for future use? -I’d appreciate any feedback.
Sorry I just don't know. I have never seen rebuild kits for the fuel pump, I also imagine it's not designed to be rebuilt.

The entire fuel pump assembly is not needed, you can replace just the fuel pump itself. The fuel pump also contains the check valve to cure the problem with a bad/leaky check valve causing slow starts in the morning.

This Bosch fuel pump fits all 97-04 TJs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZL922/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Hey Jerry, is this part number still valid? There is a warning message on the amazon.ca page that suggests this will not fit a 1998 jeep wrangler TJ.
1634774834218.png

A garage here in Canada quoted $699.00 CAD to replace the whole assembly. I'm not sure how much of that is labor, and as you mentioned that there is a little more work to replace the pump inside the assembly. I'd rather Supply the part you suggested and have them insert the pump. So, i guess the question remains,,,, is the part number still valid?
I appreciate your experience.
Thanks.

Your '98 uses a different Bosch p/n which doesn't seem to be available right now. I dunno what brand to recommend, perhaps Delco. Just don't let them install a store brand, Airtex, or Spectre.