CJ turn signals on TJ

If there is one bad aesthetic on a TJ it is the signals in the fenders-I did white lenses on white to minimize mine.

0A1188D7-D8C6-42B9-89EA-EB702A62B329.jpeg

If there is one bad aesthetic on a TJ it is the signals in the fenders-I did white lenses on white to minimize mine.

View attachment 276189

I agree with you. But I did smoke lenses (with amber bulbs) on black to minimize mine. Does anyone know if this location was intentional for the design of the TJ, or was it some sort of government mandate?

L3.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Head Lice
Likely intentional since they went back into the grille on the JK.

Except the grille is W I D ER on a JK, and the turn signals are at the very outside edge of the grille. The turn signals are not even centered under the headlights on the JK; they are way off to the side, which looks odd to me.

I wonder if the turn signals were under the headlights on a TJ, they would be too close together for some stupid regulation?

Except the grille is W I D ER on a JK, and the turn signals are at the very outside edge of the grille. The turn signals are not even centered under the headlights on the JK; they are way off to the side, which looks odd to me.

I wonder if the turn signals were under the headlights on a TJ, they would be too close together for some stupid regulation?
That’s true, I don’t love the look of the location on the JK. I put mine closer together and I think it looks better, but maybe I’m illegal. 🤷‍♂️

That looks perfect. The proportions are right on. It looks like it came from the factory that way. This is exactly how I would like mine to look.

I think the chrome bezels made the difference, as it is consistent with the chrome headlight bezels. Do you where the chrome bezels came from?
I know I love the lights and the fenders,would like to know more about this jeep

Are these the correct part numbers for the Jk lights used to move signals to the TJ grill ?
Part Number=68200290AA & 68200291AA

Are these the correct part numbers for the Jk lights used to move signals to the TJ grill ?
Part Number=68200290AA & 68200291AA
I believe I used 55077885 and 55077884 which is the p/n from the 2007 Mopar parts guide. I can't say your numbers are wrong though.

Clear vs amber.

I did not like my OE signals either.....

IMG_1471_zpscwk8augg.jpg

See the little dot led on the fender bracket, it is a three wire/two light version. I had to put a resistor on the drive light so you could see the flashing when the turn is on. I also put a single light led dot under the fender, the tire glows/flashes amber at night when the turn signal is on.

001(215).jpg

IMG_4843_zpsmdmd56ep.jpg

I can't tell in the photo, but there are 3 notches?

Thanks! Brian
It's easily done with nothing more than a 3 1/8" steel hole saw and a pair of JK turn signal enclosures, I did mine years ago. JK front turn signal enclosures fit the 3 1/8" hole perfectly. The TJ's front turn signal bulb enclosures fit the JK turn signal enclosures perfectly.

If you get serious and are ready to do this, I have a few additional tidbits to make the mounting of the JK enclosures easy so they don't require anything additional to old them in place. The enclosures can be made to twist-lock into place with no extra hardware required.

View attachment 275534

Edited to add another photo of the large 3 1/8" hole to show the notches cut into it for the ribs on the bulb enclosure to fit into.

It's easily done with nothing more than a 3 1/8" steel hole saw and a pair of JK turn signal enclosures, I did mine years ago. JK front turn signal enclosures fit the 3 1/8" hole perfectly. The TJ's front turn signal bulb enclosures fit the JK turn signal enclosures perfectly.

If you get serious and are ready to do this, I have a few additional tidbits to make the mounting of the JK enclosures easy so they don't require anything additional to old them in place. The enclosures can be made to twist-lock into place with no extra hardware required.

These photos are from my previous TJ but I did the same thing on my current TJ.

View attachment 61816

View attachment 61806

View attachment 275534

View attachment 61807

Edited to add another photo of the large 3 1/8" hole to show the notches cut into it for the ribs on the bulb enclosure to fit into.

Hi. I'm doing the same to my TJ. How did you mount the JK turn signal to the fender? Thanks for the help.

Hi. I'm doing the same to my TJ. How did you mount the JK turn signal to the fender? Thanks for the help.
I made the hole and enclosures so they twist-lock into place.

Use a 3 1/8" hole saw.

DrillGrill.jpg

Turnsignal-Opening-Size.jpg

Notch the hole like this, so the three notches to match the three ribs on the JK enclosures are 10-20 degrees away so the JK enclosure would be 10-20 degrees away from being perfectly vertical.

Notch cutting 2.JPG

Then cut a thin sheet-metal thickness notch at the very front of each of the three ribs. These notches allow the JK enclosure to rotate to lock into place. Insure the notches are at the very front of the ribs.

Notch cutting.JPG

Insert the JK enclosure and twist it so its pattern is straight up & down, it will be locked into place.

Yes these pics show two colors of Jeeps, I did this to both of mine.
CIMG3745.JPG

Twisted-Cropped.jpg

Reactions: TEZZA