Clunk coming from rear end on bumps

DropTopDon

TJ Enthusiast
Hearing this clunk/rattle when driving over bumps in the road, speed bumps, potholes etc. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? All lower control arms have been replaced recently, and I have new uppers too I just haven’t had time to put them in yet. The uppers aren’t loose though and feel snug. I tried moving the rear track bar by hand and it felt tight but I’ll still check the bolts.

I did notice this though.

I know that the antiswaybars should be able to move side to side and rotate, but my bushing has considerable play like this on both sides. Could this cause a clunking noise going over bumps?

Do you have a track bar relocation bracket on the axle? If you do, check to make sure it is mounted tightly. Maybe even weld it on. I had a clunking sound it the back and this was the cause.

Same comment if you have relocation brackets for the lower shock mounts.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Hearing this clunk/rattle when driving over bumps in the road, speed bumps, potholes etc. Anyone able to point me in the right direction? All lower control arms have been replaced recently, and I have new uppers too I just haven’t had time to put them in yet. The uppers aren’t loose though and feel snug. I tried moving the rear track bar by hand and it felt tight but I’ll still check the bolts.

I did notice this though.

View attachment 410356

I know that the antiswaybars should be able to move side to side and rotate, but my bushing has considerable play like this on both sides. Could this cause a clunking noise going over bumps?

Check all the connection points of links and shocks. If they are bound up it will be harder to tell. Look up high on the tank skid and crossmember for rub marks caused by the track bar hitting

So you recently replaced the lower control arms and now you are hearing a clunk... I think I know the first things I'd be checking

My clunk was my track bar mount to rear housing having broken the weld… cleaned, re-welded and clunk gone.

Grab ahold of your exhaust pipe and give it good up & down, side to side motion.
And check for any shiny spots where it could hit/rub another metal surface.
Don't be afraid to move it 3-4 inches in any direction.

Or it could be that it is a "made on a Monday or Friday" vehicle. I've seen plenty of objects like beer cans/bottles, large nuts/bolts, and even large ball bearings in the rocker cavities and frames of cars that I have worked on in my bodyshop days.