Coil spring suggestions?

Do you by chance remember where you saw that write up? I've read that metalcloaks were really designed taking consideration of heavy bumpers and winches. How long have you had the currie springs? Have you noticed any settling in them?

I don't recall, sorry. However, you are correct, like @Serbonze said, the MC springs were designed for full armor, winch, bumpers, etc. They are good springs, but the issue many will have is that if you use them on a vehicle that is primarily street driven (such as my Rubicon), then you end up rattling your fillings out of your teeth because they are so damn stiff (without all the armor and everything they expect to have).

That being said, the Curries ride really, really nice, and don't sag whatsoever. I've ran them for 4 months I would say and there's been no sagging. I have a winch, heavy ass front bumper, hard top, 3 people in the Jeep (on average) and tons of gear.

Perfect thank you. You may have just swayed me towards currie. I have other products from currie and am more then satisfied with quality and performance. Maybe later this summer I'll be able to afford the upgrade.

Reactions: Chris
I replaced my rough country 4 inch springs with Currie springs. Ride is a lot better but the rear does sit lower. Wondering if I can add a spacer to level it out. That’s without my hardtop on.

I replaced my rough country 4 inch springs with Currie springs. Ride is a lot better but the rear does sit lower. Wondering if I can add a spacer to level it out. That’s without my hardtop on.

Small spacers are fine to make adjustments to the ride height.

Hope I'm not hijackin
But It amazes me the industry does not publish their spring rates. I have a loaded LJ and trying to find a (known) heavier spring seems impossible. Its mostly word of mouth. Jeep owners being such gear heads, one would think that info would be industry wide.

And the spring rates only start to matter if the weight is going to be changing back and forth between light and heavy. If the ride height is where it needs to to be, then the spring rate and spring lengths are sufficient.

And the spring rates only start to matter if the weight is going to be changing back and forth between light and heavy. If the ride height is where it needs to to be, then the spring rate and spring lengths are sufficient.

Don't know if I agree completely with that.
You can establish a ride height with a progressive spring and get one kind of ride. You can also establish that same ride height with a straight wound or dual wound spring and get a very different ride. How much of a load variance will a particular spring handle before the ride is way out of the ball park your looking for is a factor for me. For example in installed a spring a had laying around out of a E250 van Slightly lower height as the spring that came with my LJ ride height was where I wanted it but it was way to stiff, as I suspected it would be. To me the spring rate is the most important, the ride height is somewhat adjustable. If the spring rate isn't right for your needs, no tuning or shocks will overcome that.

Don't know if I agree completely with that.
You can establish a ride height with a progressive spring and get one kind of ride. You can also establish that same ride height with a straight wound or dual wound spring and get a very different ride. How much of a load variance will a particular spring handle before the ride is way out of the ball park your looking for is a factor for me. For example in installed a spring a had laying around out of a E250 van Slightly lower height as the spring that came with my LJ ride height was where I wanted it but it was way to stiff, as I suspected it would be. To me the spring rate is the most important, the ride height is somewhat adjustable. If the spring rate isn't right for your needs, no tuning or shocks will overcome that.

The highest spring rates that I am aware of for a TJ is from Rubicon Express.

"Rubicon Express 3.5" Front RE1363" 240 lbs 19.50"

"Rubicon Express 4.5" Front RE1355" 205 lbs 20.25"

"Rubicon Express 5.5" Front RE1352" 184 lbs 22.50"

"Rubicon Express 6.5" Front RE1358" 213 lbs ??"

"Rubicon Express 3.5" Rear RE1365" 225 lbs 15.00"

"Rubicon Express 4.5" Rear RE1360" 225 lbs 16.25"

"Rubicon Express 5.5" Rear RE1353" 235 lbs ??"

"Rubicon Express 7.5" Rear RE1359" 224 lbs ??"

Last edited:
Stock fronts are about 140lbs/in.

Stock rears are somewhere below 200lbs/in.

I have the MC 3.5 dual rate, when I have my tj on jack stands, disconnect track bar, disconnect sway bar, full drop where the lower control arm binds up against the axle bracket, and if I jack up one said of the axle, I still cant take the other side spring out, its still compressed. I still have to use spring compressors to take them out. I switched from a 3.5"ish RE regular springs and I don't have any complaints about the ride. statistically speaking the lower spring rate should have a softer ride. I like the way the top half of the spring sits on top of each other like a solid component so the springs don't bend forward