Dana 35: Correct Wheel Seal Installation?

20180717_225024-X3.jpg

Does anyone know if I have this seal installed correctly? This is a Dana 35 on my 2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ. This started as a brake job and then morphed into a bunch of work on the rear axle. When I removed the old brake drum on the drivers side I found the brakes coated in oil. I replaced the bearings and then the seals. The problem is that the new seals (shown installed in the photo above). Are a different shape than the old ones and I could not find a source to tell me how to install the new ones correctly... so I guessed.

Here is a photo of the old one prior to removal (which is a task!):
20180714_114920-X3.jpg

It's a little hard to tell, but the old seal has a flange that clearly seats against the end of the seal "housing" (not a mechanic so that's my term for where it installs).

I had a separate issue with the brakes auto-adjuster lever that caused me to remove the brakes last night The new auto-adjuster lever was the wrong one and rubbed a groove into the drum brake. There was metal shavings/dust all over the inside of the drum brake...also to my surprise there was fresh oil. The new seal was already leaking. At this point I'm not sure if the metal shavings/dust caused the seal to fail or if I installed it incorrectly (or if it's the wrong seal). I could use a little help on this one...

Because this is my only vehicle for the moment I need it back on the road. I removed the auto-adjuster levers until this weekend and put it back together after cleaning it as best as I could. Below is a photo of the new seals that I am planning on installing this weekend. Could anyone tell me which side should face out toward the wheel?
20180731_063807-X3.jpg

How does the axle look? I always clean the seal surface with some 600 grit sandpaper or green scotch brite before installing the axle into a new seal. I also pack some grease into the back side to keep the tension spring from popping out.

How does the axle look? I always clean the seal surface with some 600 grit sandpaper or green scotch brite before installing the axle into a new seal. I also pack some grease into the back side to keep the tension spring from popping out.
It was clean... but I didn't buff it like you recommend. I'll do that this weekend when I tear it apart again. Also, I did not pack the inside of the seal. I'll do that too.

View attachment 49483

Does anyone know if I have this seal installed correctly? This is a Dana 35 on my 2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ. This started as a brake job and then morphed into a bunch of work on the rear axle. When I removed the old brake drum on the drivers side I found the brakes coated in oil. I replaced the bearings and then the seals. The problem is that the new seals (shown installed in the photo above). Are a different shape than the old ones and I could not find a source to tell me how to install the new ones correctly... so I guessed.

Here is a photo of the old one prior to removal (which is a task!):
View attachment 49484

It's a little hard to tell, but the old seal has a flange that clearly seats against the end of the seal "housing" (not a mechanic so that's my term for where it installs).

I had a separate issue with the brakes auto-adjuster lever that caused me to remove the brakes last night The new auto-adjuster lever was the wrong one and rubbed a groove into the drum brake. There was metal shavings/dust all over the inside of the drum brake...also to my surprise there was fresh oil. The new seal was already leaking. At this point I'm not sure if the metal shavings/dust caused the seal to fail or if I installed it incorrectly (or if it's the wrong seal). I could use a little help on this one...

Because this is my only vehicle for the moment I need it back on the road. I removed the auto-adjuster levers until this weekend and put it back together after cleaning it as best as I could. Below is a photo of the new seals that I am planning on installing this weekend. Could anyone tell me which side should face out toward the wheel?
View attachment 49485
The seal on the right side is oriented correctly.