Dana 44 upgrade recommendations

Not an Atlas or a transfer case. I'm just aware of a possibility that isn't realized yet.

Not an Atlas or a transfer case. I'm just aware of a possibility that isn't realized yet.
gypsy.jpg

If you want to squeeze every bit of strenght out of the 44 you can do JK gears with a 35 spline ARB and chromo shafts.

Shafts: 4340 Chromoly shafts, USA made. As far as I know Revolution is the only one making their shafts in the USA. I'm not 100% positive.
Dutchamn Axle, Dynatrac Axle, and Moser axle all offer Dana 44 axles that are manufactured right here in the USA.

I’m confident Currie does as well, but not sure if they sell shafts alone. I dont see any on their website, but all I took was a brief look.

Reactions: L0jik
Absolutely. Don't let the lower rpms you see in a car with tiny tires make you think they'd also be appropriate for a Wrangler with the aerodynamics of a barn door running huge 35's.
This.

Also don't be afraid to rev the 4.0L. It's a common misconception that lugging the engine at low RPMs while at highway speeds is its ideal powerband.

This.

Also don't be afraid to rev the 4.0L. It's a common misconception that lugging the engine at low RPMs while at highway speeds is its ideal powerband.
X2, it'll run all day every day >3k rpms. My rpms were over 3000 at even 65 after I converted my 4.88 geared TJ with its 35's and 5-speed transmission to the 3-speed 32RH transmission. Those rpms were worth it to get the 32RH installed though. 🤣

Reactions: jeepguy03 and pc1p
X2, it'll run all day every day >3k rpms. My rpms were over 3000 at even 65 after I converted my 4.88 geared TJ with its 35's and 5-speed transmission to the 3-speed 32RH transmission. Those rpms were worth it to get the 32RH installed though. 🤣
I bet it could climb a vertical wall without touching the gas though. :LOL:

Dutchamn Axle, Dynatrac Axle, and Moser axle all offer Dana 44 axles that are manufactured right here in the USA.

I’m confident Currie does as well, but not sure if they sell shafts alone. I dont see any on their website, but all I took was a brief look.
You are correct but, Currie’s shafts are only for Currie made housings that use the Ford housing ends. And Dynatrac only makes shafts for JK 44s.

Dutchman offers 1541-H shafts, and Moser doesn’t seem to list what their alloy is, does anyone know?

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Dont forget that the Revolution axles use the JK u joint which is definitely an upgrade over a 5-760x.

You are correct but, Currie’s shafts are only for Currie made housings that use the Ford housing ends. And Dynatrac only makes shafts for JK 44s.

Dutchman offers 1541-H shafts, and Moser doesn’t seem to list what their alloy is, does anyone know?

I know a guy with a junk yard Ford 9" who had Currie make some custom shafts about 2 years ago.

I know a guy with a junk yard Ford 9" who had Currie make some custom shafts about 2 years ago.
Yes, true custom made shafts are always an option but seeing as how this is an OEM application it would probably be cheaper to get it somewhere else where it’s already produced as a product.