Eco Diesel 2 door JL

Cam 73

Supporting Member
Hello everyone I was just browsing the Jeep website and saw that they officially announced the eco diesel in the 2020 JL, but I was trying to build one to see what it would cost and it would only let me apply that option to a 4 door. Call me old school but IMO like the 2 door look. Does anyone know if the eco diesel is coming to the 2 door? I hope it’s not a 4 door exclusive :mad:

Hello everyone I was just browsing the Jeep website and saw that they officially announced the eco diesel in the 2020 JL, but I was trying to build one to see what it would cost and it would only let me apply that option to a 4 door. Call me old school but IMO like the 2 door look. Does anyone know if the eco diesel is coming to the 2 door? I hope it’s not a 4 door exclusive :mad:
I saw a YouTube video that said for now it’s exclusive to the 4 door

I think they claimed the engine/transmission was too long to practically fit in the 2 door

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Have fun with the maintenance and repair bills once the emissions on that eco diesel clog up and it starts having a plethora of problems ;)

Don't worry though, it won't happen bad until it's out of warranty (y)

As much as I'd like to have a factory installed diesel Jeep, truck, car, etc. The emissions stuff just kills all of our new offerings. It's so frustrating. I've actually thought of going to Mexico and picking up a properly built truck and driving/towing it home and getting it registered in my state, which has only just checked title to VIN and been fine with transfers. Not exactly legal, but it'll get me by for several years.

445 ft pounds of torque would be awesome in a 2 door, maybe one day :unsure:
You can do that with the R2.8 Cummins in your choice of vehicle..Just sayin'.

I don't think the reliability would be there with the R2.8 though unless you modify the bottom end.

It's all about the transmission length though, so unless they swap transmissions, I wouldn't expect a 2 door with a diesel unless you build it.

For the cost of the Rubicon I want, I can get a TJ or LJ, order some easy bolts ons and drop the thing off at Axis and have a cheaper diesel Jeep in a package that I think is much tougher and better off-road and get high 20 mpg with no DEF or emissions. If you want a 4-door, then it sure would be easy to just sign away a lot of money, but drive out with a nice grunt under the hood. But the one I want is $54,000. And I'd still be adding a winch and maybe a rack.

Reactions: Alex01
The weight is a tradeoff. I don't think it would be that big of a deal in general. I mean it sucks when I get my 8,500 lb truck stuck, but often it'll get stuck less than my Jeep (wheelbase and crawl ratio, locker make my truck much harder to get stuck). However there's obvious places the truck won't fit. I think the problem with the additional weight is more of a design issue. Like swapping in an engine in a TJ that's 400 lbs more is an issue, because the axle, suspension, steering, CG, and percentage of additional weight in the front was not designed for it. A JLU is designed for it. The additional weight is probably half emissions and transmission and maybe battery related, so that's dispersed around the vehicle and everything else is designed for it. If you're doing stuff that a few hundred pounds matters, stick with pre-JK (JL weighs less than the JK) and definitely not the 4 door versions. Though a JLU diesel may weigh as much as the JKU.

If you're on trails most people will have to have enough gas cans to match the additional weight anyway to match the range. I find that in 4x4 the diesel sips the fuel much more sparingly than an equivalent gas engines. I don't have a good comparison, except with towing, but my gas gauge used to take a major hit when going off-road and now I hardly notice it. Towing I easily get twice the mileage than the 4.0, but it was also under-powered and under-geared.

In any case, if I were to get a JLU, then it would be the diesel version, because diesel is just so much better when you're not near a gas station (take a wrong turn, who cares). And it's better off-road 90% of the time (once it has been fixed from the factory). You will have more money in a diesel, but there's almost nothing I want off-road with 4 wheels that's gas powered. However, I'm not completely against picking up a gas vehicle and driving until the engine blows up and swap in a diesel assuming the frame looks like it's got hundreds of thousands of miles left on it. Of course the JLU Rubicon is priced beyond what I think is reasonable, so I'm not gonna purchase one. And I think the new stuff is a bit too complex for off-road, where screw-ups and weird stuff happens, because hey I'm not a professional driver, so I do a lot of dumb stuff and learn the hard way. That sucks when you don't have cell reception and you hit a little sensor and your vehicle won't start, which is even more true if you get a modern diesel that's not been deleted yet. If they are deleted, they're incredibly resilient and simple.

Have fun with the maintenance and repair bills once the emissions on that eco diesel clog up and it starts having a plethora of problems ;)

Don't worry though, it won't happen bad until it's out of warranty (y)
If you use a Banks Tuner (100% approved by Jeep's to keep your warranty) it will eliminate ALL soot from the exhaust, in turn keeping your EGR, emissions components, AND engine free of all the shit that builds up inside and ruins any EcoDiesel within 250-350k.

With Banks you can also remove most of that emissions crap and still pass a state inspection I hear, but since I'm from a state with no inspection, I'm ripping it out the day my warranty clears.

I'm running a 3rd Gen EcoDiesel in a Gladiator Willy's

Reactions: Alex01 and Zorba
If you use a Banks Tuner (100% approved by Jeep's to keep your warranty) it will eliminate ALL soot from the exhaust, in turn keeping your EGR, emissions components, AND engine free of all the shit that builds up inside and ruins any EcoDiesel within 250-350k.

With Banks you can also remove most of that emissions crap and still pass a state inspection I hear, but since I'm from a state with no inspection, I'm ripping it out the day my warranty clears.

I'm running a 3rd Gen EcoDiesel in a Gladiator Willy's
Good info to know , wife has a 2021 willys wrangler with 3.0 eco diesel. Recent trip to west coast was truly amazed by fuel mileage

9D687B38-50F2-43B6-AA6F-FF19FAEE861B.jpeg