Finally Found A Remanufactured Engine!

I bought a 4.0 from titan 2 years ago, the engine has held up fine. I drove down and got it to save shipping. I've used a strait 30 weight diesel oil since I got it.
One pointer I'll give you is take out there rear main seal and put in a mopar. One year after I installed my engine it started leaking and I replaced it with a mopar. They had used felpro gaskets and seals.
There's some things you have to take off your core before you trade and if your motors locked up they don't give you core money. Good luck on project !!!!
I wonder if you replace it before it’s installed. ( the rear main seal) if they would back out of a warranty from it? But still good advice. Most of the issues I see online is with their stroker engine, I think it’s the 4.7. Which a lot of people put in their Jeep’s. I don’t even know why they call it a stroker? I would go right back to the 2.5. I’m glad yours turned out good. Still trying to decide what to do.

It’s not every day I see a 2.5L swap for another 2.5L which is what I would do so I’m very interested in your experience and outcome.

A 2.5 to 2.5 swap is probably the cheapest/simplest way to go. Any other engine requires a different transmission, and the main shaft of the transfer case needs to be changed. Motor mounts are different, different wiring harness issues, etc. Even doing a 2.5 to 4.0 swap same year isn't a direct engine swap. Unless you've got a donor 4.0 Jeep. It'll be the little things that cause issues.

Of course Jeeps are one of the most common vehicles for engine swaps. I would have loved a small block V-8 instead of the 2.5, but I wasn't wanting to go there. Plus I had a new 23 JLU on order, so I was wanting to keep it not so expensive. It still came out more expensive than I wanted (figure $6000 once all said-and-done), but the TJ was 25 years old as was a lot of the parts still on there, so I figured I'd do it right while I had the chance. Pay once, cry once I guess. Between the TJ (an unexpected expense) and the new JLU (which I had ordered but not received yet when the engine blew) I think I'm still crying a little bit.

Last edited:
I always found my 2.5 to be adequate. I haven't had to deal with Titan other than with the initial purchase, so I have no comments on their responsiveness.

If you've got over 200,000 miles on your engine, there are probably a lot of things you should replace for good measure while you've got the engine out. I think I listed what I replaced earlier, but things like motor mounts, radiator, water pump, exhaust manifold, hoses, clutch fan, belts, plugs/wires/cap/rotor, etc. Anything that wears or wears out (like motor mounts) I'd recommend replacing while it is right in front of you. So that'll add to the $1100 your mechanic quoted. My shop also ran the injectors through their cleaning machine. So that's why mine was like around $6,000 when all said and done.

The year prior my clutch went, so I had all new clutch stuff and the heavier flywheel installed. But if yours has 200,000-plus miles on it, now's the time to replace all that stuff.

Yea I just replaced my clutch 1.5 years ago as well. I wish I had the money to replace everything. I may have to go cheap on this though.

Yea I just replaced my clutch 1.5 years ago as well. I wish I had the money to replace everything. I may have to go cheap on this though.

Check this thread out regarding a heavier flywheel:

https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/heavier-flywheel-for-a-four-cylinder-tj.4439301/

I wouldn't have done it unless the clutch needed to be replaced anyways, And it did, so I did. Here's me on the IDBDR (summer before engine blew). The TJ is my overlanding Jeep.

IDBDR.1aaa.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman and RAC02
I bought a 4.0 from titan 2 years ago, the engine has held up fine. I drove down and got it to save shipping. I've used a strait 30 weight diesel oil since I got it.
One pointer I'll give you is take out there rear main seal and put in a mopar. One year after I installed my engine it started leaking and I replaced it with a mopar. They had used felpro gaskets and seals.
There's some things you have to take off your core before you trade and if your motors locked up they don't give you core money. Good luck on project !!!!

The guy from Titan I spoke with said there is a 3 or 5 year warranty, unlimited miles. I’m concerned though because the complaints on their stroker engine. A lot of people said they made it impossible to claim. Like take the engine back out and ship it to them. But that may not be true. And who knows maybe just the stroker engine was being put into situations it should not have been. I don’t know. Is good to hear a equal to equal swap worked for you. I may call Titan again tomorrow and ask about their confidence on the build and off the break in period is obtainable being a DD. Also the zink and oil questions.

That's the oil they're going to tell you to use in south.
The stroker motor is a whole different ball game than the stock motor, it's a high performance motor.
When you get a motor from them you just get long block, you have to put oil pump and pickup on and a ton of stuff from your old motor. They give you a box of gaskets (felpro). They don't know what you or your installer has used in way of gaskets and seals.
I'm not trying to sell engines for them but there known for quality jeep engines and mine was great except main seal .
And I've used that oil for over 2 years and 12,000 miles.

16891209606698634672149828575323.jpg

That's the oil they're going to tell you to use in south.
The stroker motor is a whole different ball game than the stock motor, it's a high performance motor.
When you get a motor from them you just get long block, you have to put oil pump and pickup on and a ton of stuff from your old motor. They give you a box of gaskets (felpro). They don't know what you or your installer has used in way of gaskets and seals.
I'm not trying to sell engines for them but there known for quality jeep engines and mine was great except main seal .
And I've used that oil for over 2 years and 12,000 miles.

View attachment 440618

Thanks so Much. The picture helps. I’m going to look around here to see availability. So I take it you still have your Jeep with this engine? This was all good information.

So today I drove the TJ to the Cabela's in Olympia. Why?

1. I like Cabela's. I have a Cabela's credit card that I get points for purchases using their card. So when I go to Cabela's, I check in at the front desk and see how many points (dollars) I have credited to me. It's like shopping for free! I put the Titan engine stuff on my Cabela's credit card (figure $6,000.00 total), so the points added up.

2. (And - more importantly) it is over 160 miles round-trip for me there-and-back from where I live in SW WA, so I knew it would put me over the 500-mile mark on the Titan engine. Seems like it was taking forever to get to the 500-mile mark on the TJ.

So now I have an appointment 1 August at the place that did the engine install for a 500-mile oil change and to give it a "once-over". The engine is running great, no funny sounds or anything. AC works fine too. I'm happy with it so far. I did have a check engine light come on once that said it didn't recognize the catalytic converter, but I cleared it and it hasn't returned. I think that was just a hiccup when starting it once. I haven't been checking my MPG during all this, so nothing to report there.

TJ at Cabellas.jpg

Last edited:
Is it typical that a engine comes sealed in a bag that has oil at the bottom of the bag? The engine was picked up but there is oil collected at the bottom of the bag. I thought these do not come with oil in them. Is there a reason for this?

The engines are well oiled before they're sealed in a bag. Keeps them from rusting. Keeps it slippery. This is a good thing. It is ok if some oil drains down.