Front Track Bar Clearance

Windrac

Supporting Member
Hey all,

Looking to see if anybody knows of a front track bar mount relocation kit or some such for the TJ.

I have an 03 with an OX locker in the Dana 30. The nice heavy cast diff cover does NOT clear the track bar, and it has a tendency to break the shifter cable threads at the diff cover.

Jeep is stock height, with 33s.

Found one guy who asked about this before on here but never got a response. Thanks

You're better off pulling the axle backwards. Or an ARB without a silly cover.

If you are ambitious, you can cut the frame side track bar mount off and move it forward on the frame.

Most of us would say you're solving the wrong problem, I wouldn't compromise the steering system to accommodate a diff cover. I'd either get a different cover or trim the one I have down or move the axle back.

Reactions: Woodrow
Most of us would say you're solving the wrong problem, I wouldn't compromise the steering system to accommodate a diff cover. I'd either get a different cover or trim the one I have down or move the axle back.

He's got OX locker, so he's stuck with the enormous cover.
oxlockers.jpg

So yes, I know the current setup is not ideal, else I wouldn't be here asking for suggestions. It's still a work in progress.

The decision for the OX came after a trip to Moab when I had owned the Jeep for less than a month, and it had an open front diff. It had the 33s (the exact tires, actually. KM2s) on it when I boight it. I knew I wanted an electric shifting locker, and several of the guys I was with had major problems with the Eaton E-lockers being unreliable, so the OX was the logical choice seeing as if the solenoid broke, I could always use the drive away lock if I needed to lock my front axle to get home.

And the diff covers are large, but not nearly as large on the 30s as that image above. I think that's a previous generation locker as well which were larger.

Anyhow, I'll probably end up cutting and welding the mount point on the frame to move it forward and then readjusting. I do not want to lift unless absolutely necessary. The CG is high enough already. I'll tummy tuck to get better clearance before I lift.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

Digging back through my photos from install, here's the current gen OX on my Dana 30.

Note the really close trackbar.

Screenshot_20221013-220911_Gallery.jpg

So yes, I know the current setup is not ideal, else I wouldn't be here asking for suggestions. It's still a work in progress.

The decision for the OX came after a trip to Moab when I had owned the Jeep for less than a month, and it had an open front diff. It had the 33s (the exact tires, actually. KM2s) on it when I boight it. I knew I wanted an electric shifting locker, and several of the guys I was with had major problems with the Eaton E-lockers being unreliable, so the OX was the logical choice seeing as if the solenoid broke, I could always use the drive away lock if I needed to lock my front axle to get home.

And the diff covers are large, but not nearly as large on the 30s as that image above. I think that's a previous generation locker as well which were larger.

Anyhow, I'll probably end up cutting and welding the mount point on the frame to move it forward and then readjusting. I do not want to lift unless absolutely necessary. The CG is high enough already. I'll tummy tuck to get better clearance before I lift.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

If you are going to move the TB mount, be ready and able to reshape the track bar. I have done this for the purposes of a front stretch. Doing that amount of work for an OX locker feels misplaced.

The CoG isn't going to be too high, btw. Keep building for LCoG, and you are inviting more problems and compromises like this the deeper you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley and rasband
If you are going to move the TB mount, be ready and able to reshape the track bar. I have done this for the purposes of a front stretch. Doing that amount of work for an OX locker feels misplaced.

The CoG isn't going to be too high, btw. Keep building for LCoG, and you are inviting more problems and compromises like this the deeper you go.

Don't you remember? Shocks are more stable when they are fully compressed!

• USA Proud
Reactions: jjvw and rasband

I'm not sure what you are talking about with the amount of work. Swapping the locker for another one sounds like way more work (and more money) than modifying the TB.

Note the massive diff cover. A LCOG build is for those who aren't aware of the position they can put their jeep into. Its an ill-conceived concept.

But since you have the locker, and the cover. I'd suggest getting a decent set of quality control arms so you can position the axle where it needs to be rather than cut up the steering. You'd be doing more than modifying the track bar, you're also moving the mount. @jjvw has done this, and its no easy feat, especially if you are doing it only to clear a massive cover.

Reactions: jjvw and rasband
Note the massive diff cover. A LCOG build is for those who either aren't aware of the position they can put their jeep into. Its an ill-conceived concept.

But since you have the locker, and the cover. I'd suggest getting a decent set of quality control arms so you can position the axle where it needs to be rather than cut up the steering. You'd be doing more than modifying the track bar, you're also moving the mount. @jjvw has done this, and its no easy feat, especially if you are doing it only to clear a massive cover.

This is definitely a much easier way to solve this than pushing the trackbar mount forward.

Digging back through my photos from install, here's the current gen OX on my Dana 30.

View attachment 366663
You definitely must lift it asap, get adjustable front control arms and move the axle where it needs to be. 33’s on no lift is a no go. Your CoG will be fine. Any other route is a sequence of compromises and bad choices.

You missing a bolt at the top of the diff cover? Which track bar do you have?

Picture was from install about a year ago. It's not missing any bolts. I just don't have any recent pictures.

You definitely must lift it asap, get adjustable front control arms and move the axle where it needs to be. 33’s on no lift is a no go. Your CoG will be fine. Any other route is a sequence of compromises and bad choices.

I suppose I'll consider it... I never planned for a lift. That is going to have a lot of downstream effects.

Edit: Besides the needed 1 1/2" body lift for the tummy tuck I'm planning.

Good question. Could the whole issue be fixed more easily with a better track bar shape? (maybe the currie/rock jock bar?)

Just the stock track bar. Could just heat it with a torch and bend it out of the way.

Problem solved.