GMRS or HAM radio?

Good advice for most. I'm actually thinking of adding HF capability, complete with an extensible antenna and mast to my Jeep for emergency response purposes - but that's not the average Jeeper.

I'm not wanting to get into Ham radio's for anything other than trail communications. If things go the way I hope I'll be a full time RV'er in 3 years and I sure won't have the room for a base station.

So I guess I need to determine if I even need a Ham radio. Unless it's got the MAR's mod. I need to do some more reading and research.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I'm not wanting to get into Ham radio's for anything other than trail communications. If things go the way I hope I'll be a full time RV'er in 3 years and I sure won't have the room for a base station.

So I guess I need to determine if I even need a Ham radio. Unless it's got the MAR's mod. I need to do some more reading and research.
I have a combined radio and don't use the HAM much, even with my HAM license. If I were to do it again I would have saved the 200-300 difference and gotten a nice GMRS like @tworley 's new one.

The case for ham, at least for anyone not just wanting to tinker with radio or needing really distant comms, is more and more diminished by GMRS in my opinion.

For the disaster recovery scenario some folks like to prep for I'd just get a handheld (like the UV-5R) that should get you by. In such scenarios I can't imagine a license is going to be a thing people care about.

Just my $0.02

I have a combined radio and don't use the HAM much, even with my HAM license. If I were to do it again I would have saved the 200-300 difference and gotten a nice GMRS like @tworley 's new one.

The case for ham, at least for anyone not just wanting to tinker with radio or needing really distant comms, is more and more diminished by GMRS in my opinion.

For the disaster recovery scenario some folks like to prep for I'd just get a handheld (like the UV-5R) that should get you by. In such scenarios I can't imagine a license is going to be a thing people care about.

Just my $0.02

I'm starting to lean more towards a GMRS. I have a handheld HAM radio just never used it.

Just my $0.02
I thought I wanted a ham/gmrs and was trying to find some sort of justification that would let me listen to emergency stuff/far off places etc...

I had to remind myself that the only time I ever use my CB is on the trail and our convoys to the trail. No need for a $300+ mobile ham unit.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I thought I wanted a ham/gmrs and was trying to find some sort of justification that would let me listen to emergency stuff/far off places etc...

I had to remind myself that the only time I ever use my CB is on the trail and our convoys to the trail. No need for a $300+ mobile ham unit.

I've had a CB in most of my rigs since I was a teenager. But I only used it in my last truck when I was traveling with others.
There doesn't seem to be as much traffic on them as there was even 15 years ago.

I've always said I wanted a HAM license but I don't know why or what I'd use it for at this point.

if you are open to the mars mod, my nice icom 2730 goes for less money than the wouxun kg1000g...

I'm open to doing the mars mod. I have a open spot for a radio and I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck.

There doesn't seem to be as much traffic on them as there was even 15 years ago.
I think the CB is pretty much dead at this point:(. We had them in high school and would chat with each other but even that quickly stopped as cell phones took over.

When my jeep was my daily I had the cb on any time I was on the highway. It was always quiet but any time traffic came to a stop (accident for example) there was little chatter.

I think the CB is pretty much dead at this point:(. We had them in high school and would chat with each other but even that quickly stopped as cell phones took over.

When my jeep was my daily I had the cb on any time I was on the highway. It was always quiet but any time traffic came to a stop (accident for example) there was little chatter.
I'm given to understand that CB activity varies by region. I used to love to listen to - and occasionally talk with - the truckers on 19 when on a road trip. Around here, there's no truckers on 19, just a few local, overpowered ratchetjawers. Occasional traffic on 17, and of course the hyper-powered skippers on 6.

I don't see how cell phones can replace communications radio - cell phones are point-to-point technology, not exactly useful for the things CB, GMRS, HAM, whatever excel at.

Last edited:
If you're not interested in getting your Ham license and just want to go the GMRS route, you can still scan and monitor Ham frequencies with your GMRS radio. Wouxun makes some pretty decent radios. I have this one in my jeep now, but will be moving it and using it as a base unit at my work soon.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-xs20g.html
There's really no reason for you to need the MARS mod since you won't be transmitting on Ham frequencies, but If you want to have the option to, then some of the Btech radios are unlocked right out of the box. This one, for instance would be a nice, little compact unit, and is 25 watts.

https://baofengtech.com/product/uv-...el_aTQQ-qV9RABEJI6czUcXX4JkI5V6QaAipBEALw_wcB

Reactions: Wildman and rasband
I'll be totally honest and admit I have no idea now which I should get.

From what I understand from all the research and comments here is this.
1) HAM is good if I'm wheeling alone and need to call for help.

2) Unless other club members have a HAM radio I'm not talking to anyone on runs.

3) GMRS is the new CB and more people are switching to it.

4) I can cover both options by getting a basic HAM radio and perform the mars mod.

And I'm leaning more towards this again as a good option.
And I say this for a few reasons. Even if I only used the HAM radio 2-3 times at least I have it if ever needed I'd have it. But I can use it for a GMRS radio.

Is my understanding correct?

Seems about right with the caveat of use the service people in your area use i.e. GMRS if that's what popular on the trail or the same for CB. I think far and away the most popular I have seen recently is GMRS (FRS actually with the little hand held walkies from Walmart). Nothing wrong with the HAM radio that will cover GMRS with the exception of maybe it being s little more complicated and obviously the price.

Reactions: Wildman
I'll be totally honest and admit I have no idea now which I should get.

From what I understand from all the research and comments here is this.
1) HAM is good if I'm wheeling alone and need to call for help.

2) Unless other club members have a HAM radio I'm not talking to anyone on runs.

3) GMRS is the new CB and more people are switching to it.

4) I can cover both options by getting a basic HAM radio and perform the mars mod.

And I'm leaning more towards this again as a good option.
And I say this for a few reasons. Even if I only used the HAM radio 2-3 times at least I have it if ever needed I'd have it. But I can use it for a GMRS radio.

Is my understanding correct?
yes.

4) options available with mars mod already completed, and some options which do not require it, but can already talk gmrs.

Btech is an option i know of that can talk gmrs out of the box just make sure to check the frequency ranges to ensure the fcc hasnt forced a change. got mine direct from company website.

Here is another consideration.
Just because you buy the ham that can talk GMRS doesn't mean you NEED the license right off the bat.

program it for frs, gmrs, gmrs repeaters, and a local ham repeater or 2, and MONITOR anything you please, TRANSMIT HAM only in a true emergency (legal), and get your license when you get around to it or never.
IMG_20220315_045841087_HDR.jpg
pictured: local repeater, FRS freq, gmrs freq, free program, all simultaneously monitored if desired.
IMG_20220315_050000720.jpg

just keep in mind, a dual band radio (one that can transmit 140-470MHz) will need programmed to do GMRS. They won't come ready to go out of the box. Likely, you'll have to get a programming cable for said radio and program it from your computer. Some can be programmed on the fly from the mic or radio, but is time consuming. I'm not talking about the Mars mod. That is something different all together. A true part 95E radio is set up right out of the box for GMRS and will have the channels (1-22) burned in and ready to go. The downside to a true part 95E radio, is it will only transmit on GMRS frequencies. It will receive Ham frequencies, so it works well as a scanner, but transmitting is limited to 462-467MHz. All stuff to think about when shopping for a radio. Also, you'll need a dual band antenna if you get a "do all" radio. I'm not trying to discourage you to get a Ham radio. Just want to give you ammo for thought.

Reactions: Wildman
just keep in mind, a dual band radio (one that can transmit 140-470MHz) will need programmed to do GMRS. They won't come ready to go out of the box. Likely, you'll have to get a programming cable for said radio and program it from your computer. Some can be programmed on the fly from the mic or radio, but is time consuming. I'm not talking about the Mars mod. That is something different all together. A true part 95E radio is set up right out of the box for GMRS and will have the channels (1-22) burned in and ready to go. The downside to a true part 95E radio, is it will only transmit on GMRS frequencies. It will receive Ham frequencies, so it works well as a scanner, but transmitting is limited to 462-467MHz. All stuff to think about when shopping for a radio. Also, you'll need a dual band antenna if you get a "do all" radio. I'm not trying to discourage you to get a Ham radio. Just want to give you ammo for thought.

This is where it gets confusing for me. But I'm sure I could figure it all out over time.

I guess the biggest question I have to figure out as far as I can see is if I really need a HAM radio.

Reactions: bobthetj03
If I were to go HAM, do the MARS mod, and use an antenna properly tuned for HAM it will still function for GMRS but with a higher SWR, correct? And the SWR when on GMRS would be far from ideal but still functional for general trail use, correct?

Reactions: Wildman and pagrey