Happy Columbus Day

I think this forum is a wonderful place. Unlike most places online, we have had pages of this discussion and numerous people who disagree on certain facts and nobody is name calling. The general population has become so caught up in our differences, that we have failed to acknowledge our common ground. I don't agree with those that may think that CC day should be stricken from the calendar or have us refer to it as "indigenous people" day (see rant below.) CC day started a discussion of some pretty tough social points here among a small group of people. Indigenous people day doesn't sound like it would encourage anything except one group of people bashing another for things that were done to ancestors several generations ago, and that's no way to start a civil discussion. I also disagree with those who think this day should be spent screaming at others about oppression that they had no hand in. A calm discussion, however, can and will persuade others to listen to your point while taking you seriously, whether they agree with your beliefs or not.

Rant: By the definition of the word "indigenous," I (a southern, white, hetero-normative, sys-gendered male) am an indigenous person. I was born here and originated here naturally and my kind occurs here on a normal basis. When we try so hard not to use any words that offend a certain group of people, the pendulum eventually swings the other way and you start saying things that lose all meaning in language and thats why people are so fucking stupid confused these days. Case in point: because we cant call black people "black people," I witnessed a reporter call Usain Bolt an "African American" athlete. I spit my beer all over the table as I hysterically laughed. The dude is Jamaican, and last time I checked, Usain was neither African nor American.

I could go on. I watched the whole democratic presidential debate last night. But I will spare y'all.
Nope, watched the baseball games instead...But my favorite PC name change came from a Buffalo (upstate NY) elementary school that changed the name of Tug-O-War on field day to Yank for Fun! I KID YOU NOT.

...But my favorite PC name change came from a Buffalo (upstate NY) elementary school that changed the name of Tug-O-War on field day to Yank for Fun! I KID YOU NOT.

Perfect. That's a great game to play at church youth group, as there is no need for group confession afterwards!

Nope, watched the baseball games instead...But my favorite PC name change came from a Buffalo (upstate NY) elementary school that changed the name of Tug-O-War on field day to Yank for Fun! I KID YOU NOT.

:ROFLMAO: That right there is exactly what I'm talking about. Avoiding being offensive by being even more offensive!

Even more alarming is that this is the current system that is tasked with handling the education of our next generation. As an aside, last night's debate could have been called the same

Reactions: reddvltj
What a great conversation. Wish I wasn't so late in the game. The world has always had the conquerors and the conquered. As far as CC, I do celebrate him (or his day) for the main reason if he had not discovered this place then the Jeep would never have been invented. Back to the debate. Jeep on.

What a great conversation. Wish I wasn't so late in the game. The world has always had the conquerors and the conquered. As far as CC, I do celebrate him (or his day) for the main reason if he had not discovered this place then the Jeep would never have been invented. Back to the debate. Jeep on.

Glad Jeep was invented at the time it was. The Jeep "Native American nation from the Great Plains whose historic territory consisted of most of present-day northwestern Texas and adjacent areas in eastern New Mexico, southeastern Colorado, southwestern Kansas, western Oklahoma, and northern Chihuahua" sounds much less appealing or desirable than Jeep "Comanche"

Got it. 20 years of working in the oil field has taken its toll. At least I use good grammar with my profanity!
It was my mistake, not yours. Shouldn’t have used a word. Sort of cranky because I deal with so many hyper sensitive people. Gets tiring.
Ah well, I am for letting the Italians have their day. He was a great explorer in his day. Days of short lives and plenty of war and hunger. He must have been a badass.

It was my mistake, not yours. Shouldn’t have used a word. Sort of cranky because I deal with so many hyper sensitive people. Gets tiring.
Ah well, I am for letting the Italians have their day. He was a great explorer in his day. Days of short lives and plenty of war and hunger. He must have been a badass.

It's all good. I didn't even notice it. Just got off a conference call and it was much more profanity laced than you could guess. I'm not one that is easily offended by other's beliefs, but I really enjoy logically discussing differences in opinion. I don't know how many minds I have changed, but I know I have changed my mind on many issues as I have grown older. I keep an open mind. The day I stop learning is the day my life ends.

Glad Jeep was invented at the time it was. The Jeep "Native American nation from the Great Plains whose historic territory consisted of most of present-day northwestern Texas and adjacent areas in eastern New Mexico, southeastern Colorado, southwestern Kansas, western Oklahoma, and northern Chihuahua" sounds much less appealing or desirable than Jeep "Comanche"
That's a mouth full that's for sure.

60 minutes is going to have a special on Columbus' notes this Sunday. Historically, CBS has inserted some bias, but it may be worth the watch for those of you that are interested.

60 minutes is going to have a special on Columbus' notes this Sunday. Historically, CBS has inserted some bias, but it may be worth the watch for those of you that are interested.

Thanks. I used to watch 60 minutes all the time, but I gave up on it since Trump got elected. It is nuts and wildly left wing these days. The media for the most part feeds us wild left stuff and it is really hard to watch. I don't expect it to be very good. It will just feed the hype machine and act as though Columbus lived in the 1900's instead of the 1400's. Moronic stuff really, but glad you mentioned it.

Edited: It isn't showing that here in Pittsburgh. 60 Minutes is going to show the attack on the synagogue here in Pittsburgh.

Thanks. I used to watch 60 minutes all the time, but I gave up on it since Trump got elected. It is nuts and wildly left wing these days. The media for the most part feeds us wild left stuff and it is really hard to watch. I don't expect it to be very good. It will just feed the hype machine and act as though Columbus lived in the 1900's instead of the 1400's. Moronic stuff really, but glad you mentioned it.

Edited: It isn't showing that here in Pittsburgh. 60 Minutes is going to show the attack on the synagogue here in Pittsburgh.

That sucks. I set it to record. I still watch the media. Like The Art of War says, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. And Rage against the Machine said, know your enemy.

😂

That sucks. I set it to record. I still watch the media. Like The Art of War says, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. And Rage against the Machine said, know your enemy.

😂

Yeah, I have seen enough super far left stuff to know Hollywood and most media is crazy left. Not to mention most colleges in their f'n bubbles are wildly left. What are they teaching our young? It is nuts, but you are right I hope most Americans keep an eye on the propaganda machine.

Yeah, I have seen enough super far left stuff to know Hollywood and most media is crazy left. Not to mention most colleges in their f'n bubbles are wildly left. What are they teaching our young? It is nuts, but you are right I hope most Americans keep an eye on the propaganda machine.

Pravda would be proud. They had to be forced on the population. Here, we watch freely

Reactions: gg1
Pravda would be proud. They had to be forced on the population. Here, we watch freely

I'm going read that comment about state run media with a bit of intended irony directed at the recipient. ;)

I'm going read that comment about state run media with a bit of intended irony directed at the recipient. ;)

Maybe, but I watch multiple news casts on multiple networks and they use the same verbage. They are getting their talking points from somewhere. I don't have a side. My deciding factor is always the Constitution. It's clear that they have a side. BTW, I can't watch Fox news. I stopped watching when the president said it should be illegal to burn flags and FnF talking heads agreed

Reactions: jjvw
Fox News is the closest thing we have to state run media. For a little perspective, some of these guys should give Democracy Now an occasional listen.