Harbor Freight Roadshock LED Lights

I'm moderately interested in these only because of this thread. I put a cheap Chinese ebay bar on my previous Jeep and the first time is rained it fogged up bad. I disassembled, used my wife's hairdryer to dry and a tube of black permatex to seal and it performed pretty well for the next few years until I took it off when I got my new bumper.

Recently for my new setup I bought some 2x2 pods from blackoak led, comparable to rigid. I'm pretty happy with them and I've gotten no fog or any other issues to speak of.

If these new HF lights are even close to as good as some of you guys have said they are, I may have to pick up a set for some of my other applications and it would be interesting to see the head to head performance delta.

IMG_20190516_070643953_HDR.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
Anecdotally, it seems that once HF established a foothold in the US market about a dozen years ago or so, their product quality/durability has increased some too. Never going to beat a snap-on or craftsman, though.
There are a number of test on Youtube that show how good the quality has gotten and in this case, the Icon torque wrench ( Habor Freight) beats out the Snap on.

Reactions: matkal and rasband
I apologize for the quality to begin with but here’s a example:

#1: stock low beams
#2: HF fogs only
#3: stock low beam + HF fogs
#4: high beam no fogs

Your pictures point out my theory that in most cases your brights put out more than enough light. No need for all the extra pods and light bars.
However, there's a simple mod to allow your factory fogs to work with the brights on.

I cut the stock plugs off and soldered the HF pigtail in. Runs fine off of the fog light switch.
Any issues with the wiring or switch after doing this?

Looks like the HF lights are 15.1 watts each. And the stock fog lights are 55 watts each. So it seems like it should be fine.

Looking for the stock plugs for the other end of the HF light wiring.

Any issues with the wiring or switch after doing this?

Looks like the HF lights are 15.1 watts each. And the stock fog lights are 55 watts each. So it seems like it should be fine.

Looking for the stock plugs for the other end of the HF light wiring.

No issues so far, they are still going strong.

Reactions: Airjunky
I stopped by the boneyard this morning on the way to work and found 2 connectors from older Dodge trucks (a Ram 1500 & a Durango). Both were for the battery sensor.....super easy access. Took me about 5 minutes and cost $3.
Installation won't be quite as easy but far easier than running wires through the firewall.

Just picked up the 14" light bar and I'm impressed. 43 bucks with coupon. Definitely more solid feeling that the cheap ebay ones. I threw it on before a show run last night and they were a lifesaver, especially since my cheap led headlights suck. The plug is a nice waterproof piece as well with a pigtail to use with existing wiring. Drove home an hour in pouring rain with no issues either
Will post pictures soon

20200110_213634.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
I have these lights on my jeep , so far so good they have been on for ~6 months. I use the multi switch and wired them to the oem fog light plugs

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Are these street legal for fog light use? Most aftermarket LED aux. lights are too bright to oncoming traffic.
Properly designed fogs are designed to cut light off that shines upward. Thats why they help you see in fog and mist. The HF lights would throw light all over the place illuminating the fog and mist .. like your high beams, probably worse. And the light being thrown all over is definately bad on oncoming drivers. Using them around traffic would be a douchebag thing to do.

I got these HF lights working on the MF switch. They are definitely bright..... too bright to use on the road. When I tried, I was brighted right away from oncoming traffic.

The LED headlights I have are pretty damn bright too. So I haven't really needed the fog/driving lights too often. But just in case, I snipped pin 1 on the fog light relay so I can use both the fog lights & the highbeams at the same time. Not sure why I'd need a light bar on the hood & over the windshield. It's already pretty damn bright!

Properly designed fogs are designed to cut light off that shines upward. Thats why they help you see in fog and mist. The HF lights would throw light all over the place illuminating the fog and mist .. like your high beams, probably worse. And the light being thrown all over is definately bad on oncoming drivers. Using them around traffic would be a douchebag thing to do.
They are flood lights, not fog lights. Douchebagery is up to the individual.

I always wired my aux lights on my motorcycles to be able to be triggered by the high beams as well as an on/off switch. This enabled me to quickly go from douche bag to non douche bag mode. ;)

I know this is an old thread but really curious how these held up over the past 1.5 years?