Help Choosing a HAM Radio

Midnight LJR

In search of Rubicon flares.
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
My wife and I are studying for our Ham License tests, and most of my wheeling buddies have switched to Ham. So I am trying to decide on a good unit for the Jeep. I don’t mind spending what is necessary to have a really great radio.

I was looking at this one
https://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/amateur/tm-d710ga/
Mostly just because I liked how it has a separate control unit that looks like I could mount it above the stock AC vents in the coin tray for a clean install and an easy to reach place.

But I am still just beginning to shop and try to figure out what to buy. I would like one that I can do a very clean install of, so I don’t have a big box mounted right in my face.

I’ve had my HAM License for a few years, and that’s the radio I would buy for my LJ if I did a mounted one - I think there’s a Yaesu that’s somewhat similar but after playing with both the Kenwood felt best (and has more features like APRS).

Reactions: Midnight LJR
I had a kenwood dual TM-G707 for a time, I’m no longer an active ham operator,
but I can tell you it was a great little radio, the removable face plate makes It easy to mount in a Jeep. Have fun.

You cannot go wrong with a ham radio from Yaesu, Kenwood or Icom, but give some thought to the features that are important to you and which features you will actually use. If you are going to use your ham radio as a CB on Steroids, and most jeepers using ham radio probably do, then simpler is better.

I used to favor Yaesu ham radios, and still use a Yaesu FT-90R in my Xterra, but switched to Kenwood in my jeep a few years ago. I like Kenwood mics better than Yaesu's. Kenwood controls seem more intuitive.

I chose the Kenwood TM-281A two-meter for my LJ because it is built on the same rugged "milspec" chassis as Kenwood's commercial VHF radios, has a front firing speaker, and is simple to use. There is little 70cm traffic in my region so I haven't missed that band.

If I were in the market for a dual band mobile for my jeep, the Kenwood TM-V71A would be my choice. It is currently priced at $345.95 at HRO. Kenwood formerly marketed a separate control panel, P/N RC-D710, that would convert a TM-V71A to a TM-D710A. Unfortunately, that control panel is apparently no longer available. You used to be able to start with the V71A and upgrade later if you discovered that you actually needed the extra features. If not, you saved some cash.

Kenwood's top-of-the-line dual band mobile (TM-710GA, $549.95 at HRO) is now all digital. It is an absolutely terrific radio with features far too numerous to list here, which is exactly why I think it is too much radio for most new hams.

Getting back to simplicity and ruggedness, there is a lot to be said for the Kenwood TM-281A for $137.95 if you don't need the 70cm band or the additional features of the other Kenwoods. For a dual band radio my pick would be the Kenwood TM-V71A for $345.95.

However, there is also a lot to be said for not spending much money on your first ham radio, which opens the door to Wouxon, B-Tech and similar off brand or Chinese dual band radios, some of which are quite cheap. Whether that door is actually a trap door is another discussion for another thread.

KG6LMV

Good luck on your test.

give some thought to the features that are important to you and which features you will actually use. If you are going to use your ham radio as a CB on Steroids, and most jeepers using ham radio probably do, then simpler is better.

I was just writing something similar when I saw what @Mr. Bills posted and agree, keep it simple.

I know it has nothing to do with what you asked but I really enjoy using the UV-5R out on the trail hiking and camping. They last the weekend easy and you can give them to anybody to walk around with and spot you. You can get a pair for $40. Great way to listen to the ISS or break in your ham licence when you aren't in the Jeep. They are a good compliment to a fixed unit in the Jeep and it isn't a big deal if somebody drops one or it gets covered in dirt and dust. One will easily fit in the glove box or center console and stay charged for months. I have four of these things, they are inexpensive but not cheap or poorly constructed.

I started self studying and lost interest after chapter 2. Probably going to have to sit in a course to force me to do it.

Any real world experience with APRS? How reliable is it in the back trails?

• Haha
Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
Any real world experience with APRS? How reliable is it in the back trails?
Are you looking at connecting to the internet or just point to point? The way I look at it you can consider APRS coverage generally worse than cell coverage. There are large holes in California in heavily traveled corridors let alone in the sticks. Just finding a 2m repeater out on remote trails can be a challenge, pairing it down to one frequency makes it really difficult. If you aren't connecting to the system and just doing point to point that's a different story.

Getting back to simplicity and ruggedness, there is a lot to be said for the Kenwood TM-281A for $137.95 if you don't need the 70cm band or the additional features of the other Kenwoods. For a dual band radio my pick would be the Kenwood TM-V71A for $345.95.

Thank you for taking the time to write all that out.

How would a new person to Ham even know if they need/would like the 70cm band?

Also similar question in regards to the dual band? Is that really nice to have, or not needed?

I currently use Gaia GPS, for navigation, and have a Garmin InReach for emergencies so mostly would like Ham for the increased range and power.

But I honestly don’t know everything a Ham Radio is capable and if I need or would like those features.

Good luck on your test.

I was just writing something similar when I saw what @Mr. Bills posted and agree, keep it simple.

I know it has nothing to do with what you asked but I really enjoy using the UV-5R out on the trail hiking and camping. They last the weekend easy and you can give them to anybody to walk around with and spot you. You can get a pair for $40. Great way to listen to the ISS or break in your ham licence when you aren't in the Jeep. They are a good compliment to a fixed unit in the Jeep and it isn't a big deal if somebody drops one or it gets covered in dirt and dust. One will easily fit in the glove box or center console and stay charged for months. I have four of these things, they are inexpensive but not cheap or poorly constructed.

Thanks, I will look into these it would be nice to have a few handhelds as well.

I have Yeasu FTM-400XDR. One of the best radios for mobile. Using APRS is easy on this with touch screen.

I started self studying and lost interest after chapter 2. Probably going to have to sit in a course to force me to do it.
Get an online course, they're easier to go through. And if you get one by Gordon West, he's the best ham radio teacher I've encountered and humorous throughout the process. He keeps it from being so dry that you give up after two chapters.

https://www.amazon.com/2018-2022-Technician-Class-Software-package/dp/0945053924/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2291RDLD7X2L2&dchild=1&keywords=gordon+west+technician+2018-2022&qid=1591486494&sprefix=Gordon+West+technician+,aps,643&sr=8-2&tag=wranglerorg-20

Or https://www.amazon.com/2018-2022-Technician-Class-Gordon-West/dp/0945053908/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2291RDLD7X2L2&dchild=1&keywords=gordon+west+technician+2018-2022&qid=1591486702&sprefix=Gordon+West+technician+,aps,643&sr=8-1&tag=wranglerorg-20

I happened to meet Gordon at a 4x4 event, really nice guy. He helped me get my Novice, Technician, then General Class licenses.

N6TAY

Are you looking at connecting to the internet or just point to point? The way I look at it you can consider APRS coverage generally worse than cell coverage. There are large holes in California in heavily traveled corridors let alone in the sticks. Just finding a 2m repeater out on remote trails can be a challenge, pairing it down to one frequency makes it really difficult. If you aren't connecting to the system and just doing point to point that's a different story.

i was thinking use with a repeater for the times I was out of cell service if I ever needed to get a signal out of if someone needed to find me. Your comment about it generally being worse than a cell signal is exactly the observation I was looking for. I am in Canada to probably less signal than California.

I have Yeasu FTM-400XDR. One of the best radios for mobile. Using APRS is easy on this with touch screen.

I saw that one too, that seems like one of the better options if your going to get all the extra features. Since it appears to have a much more modern UI.

i was thinking use with a repeater for the times I was out of cell service if I ever needed to get a signal out of if someone needed to find me. Your comment about it generally being worse than a cell signal is exactly the observation I was looking for. I am in Canada to probably less signal than California.
You're probably more likely to find a repeater in remote areas than a cell tower. I'm often where there is zero cell service but I can normally find a repeater. There are repeater books and apps that show all of the thousands of repeaters scattered around.

Reactions: LJGreg
I use icom-2300 as it takes little room and very dependable,also have repeater app on my cell phone.wherever you are the phone will tell you the millage to the nearest repeater.

Ok im gonna revive this old thread to pull out more information.
I have been informed that you can modify a Ham radio to cover GMRS and FRS bands (MARS mod) but am not sure which, if not all, can be modified. I was reading that some unit handle the mod better than others. Any of you guys have any first hand experience on modded units and what ones are best to modify?

Ok im gonna revive this old thread to pull out more information.
I have been informed that you can modify a Ham radio to cover GMRS and FRS bands (MARS mod) but am not sure which, if not all, can be modified. I was reading that some unit handle the mod better than others. Any of you guys have any first hand experience on modded units and what ones are best to modify?

I went through GigaParts for mine and "built a bundle" where they did the MARS mod before I ever received the radio. I'd highly recommend it.

I would find whatever radio you want and see if they can do it, if so then I am sure you can find a way to do it at home if you'd rather not pay for it. I went with the Icom 2730A, but in retrospect I use HAM so little anymore I would have just gotten a ~$100 GMRS mobile unit.

Reactions: U8MYDZT and Zorba
IMO, it's about having options. Why limit yourself to only one form of comms. I've spent way too much coin on radios and radio accessories, but find myself always looking at more stuff, lol! I spent $200 on a GMRS only mobile for the jeep, then decided I wanted my Ham license, so did that, and now needed a Ham radio for the Jeep.
Just decide where you want to end up for comms and buy once. For me, it become a rabbit hole, like my Jeep addiction, so now I have several radios, a GMRS license and a Ham license.

IMO, it's about having options. Why limit yourself to only one form of comms. I've spent way too much coin on radios and radio accessories, but find myself always looking at more stuff, lol! I spent $200 on a GMRS only mobile for the jeep, then decided I wanted my Ham license, so did that, and now needed a Ham radio for the Jeep.
Just decide where you want to end up for comms and buy once. For me, it become a rabbit hole, like my Jeep addiction, so now I have several radios, a GMRS license and a Ham license.
I too don't want to limit myself, plus the advantage of ham once Putin drops a nuke on our power plants is a great selling point.
I went through GigaParts for mine and "built a bundle" where they did the MARS mod before I ever received the radio. I'd highly recommend it.

I would find whatever radio you want and see if they can do it, if so then I am sure you can find a way to do it at home if you'd rather not pay for it. I went with the Icom 2730A, but in retrospect I use HAM so little anymore I would have just gotten a ~$100 GMRS mobile unit.
I have heard from others that GigaParts does this mod and I may end up going that route. But, I have no problem modifying a circuitboard and if I can find the information to do the mod I will save the $ and do it myself.