How do you insure your TJ?

I think I saw you mention that in some thread once, I didn't really even know about them until then so thanks! So you don't have to "prove" it's worth that at any point with them? Either via receipts or appraisal
Yes, correct stated value. I have had them payout when I crashed my TR6 into the back of my E350 work van. I made out great on that one and no increase in premiums.

• Haha
Reactions: lBasket
I know a lawyer and I enjoy watching/reading lawyer blogs in my free time. One thing is common between a guy I know and guys I watch, they all at some point had to take State Farm to court to resolve car insurance despute and know someone who also had to battle with State Farm in court.
I don't deal with them, I don't know much more, but SF seems to be known to pull shenanigans. Take it for what it's worth.
I was hit by a lady with State Farm. They told me I was 20% at fault for being there. I did not cash their check and sued the lady in Small Claims Court. I got my 20% from her and then cashed the State Farm check.
My BIL has a State Farm agency and wonders why I do not insure through him. My Jeeps and a Suburban are through Good Sam as recreational vehicles, my antique truck is through Hagerty and the rest with GEICO.

Yes, correct stated value. I have had them payout when I crashed my TR6 into the back of my E350 work van. I made out great on that one and no increase in premiums.
That's good - it feels like what I bought it for + what I bought for it wouldn't really buy me a decent replacement right now. So I guess it would be cool to talk to them about it!

Oh no, I'll lose my 5% "multi-car discount" from Geico though! Such a deal! :rolleyes:

I think I saw you mention that in some thread once, I didn't really even know about them until then so thanks! So you don't have to "prove" it's worth that at any point with them? Either via receipts or appraisal

No, stated value policy covers up to that value in case of theft or total loss. They didn't ask for pictures or details.

I have full coverage with State Farm. Mine is insured for 35k.
I have provided them with receipts. They had an agent take pictures.
If it gets stolen or totaled I get 35k. I'm sure it's built into my premium.
I've been with State Farm since the 80's and they have always been easy to deal with.

I just priced one for mine, $405.00. The last one I had installed was a couple years ago and it was $280.00 i believe.
Trust me it’s built in to your premium.

So my understanding is since my Jeep sits in my garage in my house, it is covered by my homeowner's insurance when it's "in storage" over the winter (still insured and registered but it's not really going anywhere). Is that how it works or is it more of an "it depends" situation?

The key part of that is "still insured and registered" for homeowners to cover anything if say your house burned and took the Jeep with it. I asked my insurance guy about homeowners coverage of some unregistered vehicles I have and he said that if they are not tagged/registered or covered under a personal property policy, they would not be covered in any way.
So you don't have to "prove" it's worth that at any point with them? Either via receipts or appraisal

There are limits. You won't be able to claim $100K on a stock TJ by any means. But their "agreed values" are very reasonable and can be set rather high.

Also I'm curious if these modification allowances would include labor or just equipment when it comes to the full coverage? I do most work myself anyways but gears is like 70% labor

Assuming you'll have to verify value of mods before payout? Did you have them come inspect it or do you hang onto receipts
No inspection. Just asked when I was adding wife's truck. I've been with them since 94-95 and I've had two claims one unisured and a single motorcycle accident. They took care of them without any hassle.... no I don't work for them either...lol

As far as the labor, I just look at the mods, since I've provided all the labor myself.

Last edited:
I have a stated value policy on my Jeep. they didnt want receipts, but they did ask for a basic justification. so i sent them a few comps for LJs, and then a list of modifications with very rough prices. they said no problem. $60k coverage for about $1300 for the year. If i make a modification or prices go up, i simply send my agent an email asking for an increase in coverage.

I may have to look into switching to Haggerty as well for the TJ

Bringing this back from the dead, is it typical to have to jump through additional "hoops" with the DMV for registration with Hagerty? Having trouble renewing not sure if my policy is messed up somehow or if it's normal... Agent suggested a "proof of insurance" form which I've never dealt with before

Bringing this back from the dead, is it typical to have to jump through additional "hoops" with the DMV for registration with Hagerty? Having trouble renewing not sure if my policy is messed up somehow or if it's normal... Agent suggested a "proof of insurance" form which I've never dealt with before

Not for me, but state requirements vary. I just show my current insurance card at the DMV.

Reactions: BlueC and lBasket
X2. I dont have Hagerty (I use State Farm) but when registering I just show them my most up-to-date insurance card and nothing else.
Yeah same... He said the DMV was picky about Hagerty so idk. Sucks cos they won't make appointments for renewals and won't see you without an appointment. So I just need to guess with the insurance company what's wrong