How to install a cabin filter

When I traded my ram air for a stock air filter system, it came with a K&n filter in it (replaced with WIX)… I coincidentally kept the filter for whatever reason but when I opened up the cowl to wash out the drain I realized the stock tj air filter perfectly sticks to the air intake (on older models without the additional snorkel thing) so I just stuck the K&n there and boom, no more dust, I can just wash it off once a year, and it doesn’t matter if it gets a bit of water on it during hard rain.

Still drying, but got mine in. Hopefully it doesn't restrict flow too much. I got a little happy with the silicone and forgot to test the air on full blast stock style and then putting the filter in place to see how much it restricted it. Guess I'll just have to guesstimate. I'm also going to figure out some kind of sound baffle to reduce cabin noise from the intake opening being right there.

PXL_20230105_185516093.jpg

PXL_20230105_185507711.jpg

PXL_20230105_185540052.jpg

Still drying, but got mine in. Hopefully it doesn't restrict flow too much. I got a little happy with the silicone and forgot to test the air on full blast stock style and then putting the filter in place to see how much it restricted it. Guess I'll just have to guesstimate. I'm also going to figure out some kind of sound baffle to reduce cabin noise from the intake opening being right there.

View attachment 389353

View attachment 389354

View attachment 389355

77 Cutlass.??

'75. Good eye. I don't think there were any differences you'd be able to see in that pic between a '75 and a '77 besides maybe the paint color. It was my grandpa's.

How about the cheap spun glass HVAC filters, those flow pretty freely. They wouldn't catch as much dust but probably a noticeable amount. Can't restrict airflow too much in the Summer without the evaporator freezing.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Some Outerwears mesh filter sheet might make a good intake filter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TYJZWG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Maybe cut a piece to fit and hold it over the intake with magnets.

I think the pleats in a filter provide it more surface area and let it flow better. I'm guessing that might be a bit restricted. Just guessing though. That would be super easy if it worked and would repel water somewhat too.

I think the pleats in a filter provide it more surface area and let it flow better. I'm guessing that might be a bit restricted. Just guessing though. That would be super easy if it worked and would repel water somewhat too.

I use Outerwears stuff for other things and there is no restriction. It will allow a little fine dust through but not much. The water repellant coating is also kind of neat.

Quick followup for science 🤓🤓.

This is after about 1,600 miles and 10 months (although it isn’t driven much at all from Nov-April). I could tell the filter was saturated on the last few trips.

IMG_0228.jpeg

Reactions: MichaelGH
Dust. The filter is pretty well protected from water if the drain is clear.

Unfortunately my 97 has both the 3 vent cover and they also didn’t come with the plastic snorkel (for lack of better term) attached to that intake hole… so heavy rain does go in and drip on the passengers feet.

Unfortunately my 97 has both the 3 vent cover and they also didn’t come with the plastic snorkel (for lack of better term) attached to that intake hole… so heavy rain does go in and drip on the passengers feet.

The later model part looks like it could work if you drill 3 holes. I believe it's 55037540AA and seems to be available for relatively cheap. I could measure mine if you need.

That's awesome! And it's nice knowing that the filter causes a negligible (in my book) difference

Are the plans available anywhere?

Reactions: chili_pepper
That's awesome! And it's nice knowing that the filter causes a negligible (in my book) difference

Are the plans available anywhere?

As of yet, no, it's still considered a functional prototype. I wanted to test it a bit before deciding where to go from there.

Reactions: matkal

Not sure why you facepalmed my comment Corky. I’ve made 100% sure my drain is completely clear, and if its raining hard and driving 40-50mph water drips on the passenger feet. It’s completely not a drain blockage issue.

Reactions: chili_pepper