If we remastered the TJ and LJ? 🤔

I've been looking through pictures of the Dakar and I'm liking the bumpers they used. They hug the body much better too. They don't look like an afterthought. If the TJ came with those, I don't think I would ever care to replace them. Being more critical here, but the approach angle would be greater with those too.

IMG_20200107_171443.jpgIMG_20200107_171538.jpgIMG_20200107_171934.jpg
IMG_20200107_171443.jpg
IMG_20200107_171538.jpg
IMG_20200107_171934.jpg

IMG_20200107_171502.jpg

IMG_20200107_171600.jpg

I was doing the same thing within the past year. I picked up a "BlackWeb" FM modulator for my power outlet, and eventually tore it down and hardwired it in behind my glovebox just because I hated the way even that thing looked.

I'm behind the times, but finally came across the drop-in units that run off of Android operating system. It fits by needs perfectly and it's appearance is 98% tolerable. Being able to access the OBD2 through it and have everything displayed right there on the screen is nice too. Killed two birds with one stone.

View attachment 133044

I really like this!

You can get a factory TJ radio that has bluetooth and/or aux from a company that modified the OEM radios like the RBK radio that comes stock in a lot of late model TJ’s/LJ’s.
This RBK has bluetooth added.
https://www.1factoryradio.com/chrys...2-10-radio-02-07-am-fm-cd-player-w-bluetooth/View attachment 133039

The only aftermarket radio I have found that builds off of the OEM look and appearance is the Clarion M508. It has what I believe to be a white backscreen.
check out this thread where both options are discussed.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/looking-for-a-new-radio.7866/
View attachment 133042
View attachment 133047

The issue I have with the Continental is the hideous ORANGE back lit screen and buttons. Its a huge clash with the factory TJ/LJ dash.

Also worth mentioning is the Clarion M508 is designed for boats. It’s sunproofed so you can see and read the screen with the top off the Jeep. Its also built to withstand water, naturally being that it is designed to be in a boat.

That's funny, I like the orange in the pictures and while I reallllly like your option, the big silver knob is the thing that drives me nuts a lot of the time ha. I'd definitely consider this though.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Alright you have my attention
Used masking tape and paper/plastic to mask off the radio. Bead blasted the knob and sprayed it with some SEM trim paint in black. I think it looks great.

If it was me, I would see what the process is to remove the knob and paint it. I have no problem painting it on the radio, I would just feel better if I was painting it off the radio.

For what it's worth, I just went ahead and got a plug in charger/bluetooth adapter - I went with Anker Roav. It was between $15-20 on Amazon and works flawlessly so far. That tech has come a long way since I first used cassette adapters in my old XJ and other early model BT adapters. Took all of 1 minute to plug it in and pair my phone. I likewise use it for charging and podcasts, radio for NPR (come at me Wrangler TJ forum) or music.
You're the second one to bring that up recently. I'll have to take a look at it. That's simple enough for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

Right there with you. I'm a 37 y/o with an old soul that's battling my inner tech interests. My old soul saying, "Why are you even fooling around with that? It's barely practical.", while the 37 y/o is attempting to argue the "need". Thankfully, the simplicity wins out with most.
Completely agree with you (and same age).

By no means am I scared of tech - I was a database manager for a few years and have done other sorts of computer jobs. But... my vehicle is not supposed to be a computer. I was also trained as a mechanic in the army national guard - so I spent most of my wrenching time on vehicles from the 60s and 80s. So my simple little TJ feels much more comfortable. :D

Reactions: bedhed
Wrenching time on vehicles from the 60s and 80s. So my simple little TJ feels much more comfortable. :D
Same here. Even with with our generation, wrenching time was slim to none for some. It appears to have gotten far worse since then though. For me, my simple Jeep with it's (somewhat) minimal tech and exposed parts brings some peace of mind. The more that automotive tech has increased since 2000, I've found myself pulling further away from it.

Just Enough Essential Parts 😎

Same here. Even with with our generation, wrenching time was slim to none for some. It appears to have gotten far worse since then though. For me, my simple Jeep with it's (somewhat) minimal tech and exposed parts brings some peace of mind. The more that automotive tech has increased since 2000, I've found myself pulling further away from it.

Just Enough Essential Parts 😎
Blame it on the demand for automatic braking, lane departure warnings, backup warnings, a call for increases in gas milage, adaptive cruise control, and touch/touchscreen controls for everything from engine starting to HVAC controls. Among everything else thats behind the scenes.

Blame it on the demand for automatic braking, lane departure warnings, backup warnings, a call for increases in gas milage, adaptive cruise control, and touch/touchscreen controls for everything from engine starting to HVAC controls. Among everything else thats behind the scenes.
Man, I have thought about this many times lately. The most recent was a week ago. While I was passing a car in the right side lane, I saw her warning indicator light up. I was wondering to myself, when will the time come when people become so dependent on these types of electronic features that they don't even turn to look anymore, instead just trust the indicator light and merge over. With so many blind spots in some of these new SUVs, I can't say that those warning indicators are misplaced. They're pretty nice, actually. But, they're only nice if they're used as a second set of eyes, not the only set.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Man, I have thought about this many times lately. The most recent was a week ago. While I was passing a car in the right side lane, I saw her warning indicator light up. I was wondering to myself, when will the time come when people become so dependent on these types of electronic features that they don't even turn to look anymore, instead just trust the indicator light and merge over. With so many blind spots in some of these new SUVs, I can't say that those warning indicators are misplaced. They're pretty nice, actually. But, they're only nice if they're used as a second set of eyes, not the only set.

My wife's car has these and I never remember to use them.

But honestly, I believe self driving cars will be here relatively soon and then the skill of driving all together will go the way of the stick and be relegated to enthusiasts.

You're the second one to bring that up recently. I'll have to take a look at it. That's simple enough for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

Every time I went down the rabbit hole of new head units, I either didn't like the look of what I found or it didn't make sense to invest in one without fixing my center console sub, much less performing at least a basic upgrade to the stock sound system. Felt like putting the cart before the horse. This was cheap, simple, looks good, retains stock equipment, meets all needs.

Just bring it back. I don’t care if a thing is changed. Just - bring - it - back ...

Just seeing it brought back as it is would be pretty cool. But, I feel like it would be in need of some tweaks, and more attention to details, if it was going to have a higher price tag anyway.

They did...it’s called a JL. I think they look really good.
View attachment 146995View attachment 146996

I do like some of their aesthetics, but not all. The picture of the Rubicon reminded me of another thing for this hypothetical list. I've yet to walk around one of these, so I did't know until now that they did address the bender-to-body issue that the TJ has. That is, the problem of sand getting lodged in-between the flare and body. Am I seeing that right, is that a wider gap that I'm seeing for the rear fender?

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Just seeing it brought back as it is would be pretty cool. But, I feel like it would be in need of some tweaks, and more attention to details, if it was going to have a higher price tag anyway.

I do like some of their aesthetics, but not all. The picture of the Rubicon reminded me of another thing for this hypothetical list. I've yet to walk around one of these, so I did't know until now that they did address the bender-to-body issue that the TJ has. That is, the problem of sand getting lodged in-between the flare and body. Am I seeing that right, is that a wider gap that I'm seeing for the rear fender?
A TJ, as is from 2006, would likely not pass any of the federal mandated test. Like emissions as well as front and rear collision test.

But the JL as a two door, IMO, looks really good. And it is, theoretically, the updated version of the TJ. Actually, it’s better.

Interesting that you mention price. If everything stayed the same on a 2004 Jeep Rubicon and it was re-released today, it would have a asking price of $40k if inflation was calculated in.

People gawk at that kind of asking price, claiming the new Wrangler which is priced around $40-50k is overpriced.

To be fair the asking price for a 04 Rubi was $28k new off the lot. Today’s money, that would be $39k.
https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=28000&year1=200401&year2=202002