Impact Jack (LJ Rubi build)

Power steering pump for a V8 WJ. Supposed to have more volume and pressure than factory pump.

hydro2.jpg

Last edited:
We got the new steering box mounted on the frame and started putting the system together. To convert a Mercedes box to a Saginaw you need to drill a new hole for one of the mounting bolts and cut off a tube in the frame. 2 of them fit in factory holes. When cycling the steering we couldn't get a proper place for the Ram to mount and tie rod was hitting diff cover so we ordered offset heim joints for the tie rod. More to come. Waiting for parts

Boxin.jpg

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
I found a guy on Marketplace with a TJ roll cage with an add on cage. He was selling the whole kit including the factory roll bar. I have an LJ so the rear factory section will not fit but all the add on stuff will. My friend with a TJ wanted the factory cage bc it has weld on harness bars for front and rear. Here is a pic the day I got it

received_1042438806373060.jpeg

We have made big progress on the hydro steering project. Got the power steering pump drilled out and all the hoses installed. Also replaced the radiator and heater hoses with silicone hose while everything was apart. We replace thermostat, water outlet, idler pulleys and the antifreeze. Also installed the M.O.R.E. Bombproof 1" lift motor mounts.

steering1.jpg

steering2.jpg

steering3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
Got the Ram mounted and have more room for the ram to swing the steering farther for more steering angle and lessening the turning radius. I will call PSC Tuesday(holiday weekend) to order a longer ram. We are going to cap the hydro ports in the steering gear so I can drive it until we get the longer ram. I only want to do it once so its worth the wait.

hydro7.jpg

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
One thing lead to another, the front suspension was not moving correctly with the steering and we decided to reset the front suspension while it was taken apart. Adjust long arms, pinion angle, replace the shocks with longer ones and set the bump stops.

hydro15.jpg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Installed the longer Ram and didn't have enough bump. Very tight, Adding another inch of bump and we should be good. We need to get the hydraulic hoses made and get the power steering bleed and the coolant burped. Moving along.

hydro12.jpg

hydro13.jpg

hydro14.jpg

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Here is a pic from today. Got the hoses for the Ram measured and made locally. Installed the hose wrap for chaff protection. Ordered shock stem eliminators and they came in not correct. Had to reorder. Should be here tomorrow. Hopefully this Phase of upgrades will be completed Saturday.

Hydro16.jpg

Reactions: JMT