James & The Sahara Build Thread

Yikes...4" of bumpstop seems excessive. You only have 3" springs, right? I'd say your shocks are too long...So the compressed distance is too long. It also looks like your bumpstops are going to hit your coils as soon as that suspension starts to cycle.
You think my shocks are too long? I would think they are too short since they are limiting. School me on this.

Those shocks can't be right Jimbo. Looks like they sent you shocks for 4" coils. Definitely get a call in to Gerald. Leaves you very little suspension travel. Gonna ride like shit brah.

Those shocks can't be right Jimbo. Looks like they sent you shocks for 4" coils. Definitely get a call in to Gerald. Leaves you very little suspension travel. Gonna ride like shit brah.
Since its Sunday email is probably going to be my best bet reaching out to him. I would think the shocks are too short, but you guys are telling me they are too long. Trying to comprehend the reason why they would be too long vs being too short and requiring the additional bumpstopping.

Since its Sunday email is probably going to be my best bet reaching out to him. I would think the shocks are too short, but you guys are telling me they are too long. Trying to comprehend the reason why they would be too long vs being too short and requiring the additional bumpstopping.

It's all about collapsed length of the shock. At full compression, the shock is too long and is bottoming out way too soon, so you need a shock with a shorter collapsed length, so you don't need so much bump stop. Yes, you will sacrifice some extended length. The idea is a happy medium. Not sure why Fox doesn't advertise their shock sizes.

Reactions: Mike_H
It's all about collapsed length of the shock. At full compression, the shock is too long and is bottoming out way too soon, so you need a shock with a shorter collapsed length, so you don't need so much bump stop. Yes, you will sacrifice some extended length. The idea is a happy medium. Not sure why Fox doesn't advertise their shock sizes.
Thank you! I have emailed Gerald, just pulled up my original invoice to ensure I purchased the right shocks:

EDF718EB-BD2B-4076-85FB-B2DA00A446DB.png

Quite a bit more dough spent than I thought I did. Hopefully Gerald will be able to help out via email. Playing the waiting game now.

You think my shocks are too long? I would think they are too short since they are limiting. School me on this.
@bobthetj03 hit it on the head. When those shocks are compressed, they are not allowing enough up travel. Did you put bar pin eliminators or anything in? Those add about an inch to your compressed length too.

@bobthetj03 hit it on the head. When those shocks are compressed, they are not allowing enough up travel. Did you put bar pin eliminators or anything in? Those add about an inch to your compressed length too.
No I don’t have bar pin elimators, shocks are stock.

Your invoice doesn't list the part #'s of the shocks, so not even sure how you'd know if you have the correct shocks or not. Hopefully Gerald will shed some light.

This is an example. Rancho's website lists the part# of the shock, along with the shock's collapsed/extended lengths.
http://www.gorancho.com/products/sh...er/rancho-rs5000x-shock-absorber-rs55241.html
Yeah we will see, no idea why they aren’t listed on the website.

Guess I need to practice what I preach. While waiting for the engine to cool to replace my valve cover gasket yesterday, took some measurements while the jeep was on level floor. I hadn't checked things since putting the RS5000X's on. I'm good up front, but the rear needs another inch of bump stop extension. I think I may have lost of bit of shock travel when I relocated the bottom mounts in prep for the SYE.

Guess I need to practice what I preach. While waiting for the engine to cool to replace my valve cover gasket yesterday, took some measurements while the jeep was on level floor. I hadn't checked things since putting the RS5000X's on. I'm good up front, but the rear needs another inch of bump stop extension. I think I may have lost of bit of shock travel when I relocated the bottom mounts in prep for the SYE.
Seems like a PSA is in order to double check your bump-stops forum wide.

I called Katie at savvy offroad and she said I need to get the part numbers off the shock body that are located “somewhere”. A quick once over while it being on my vehicle led to no identifying numbers. She said if no part number is present on the shock then i will need to pull the shocks and take measurements. God dangit wish I did this while it was in the bay. Guess tomorrow morning I’m gonna pull a front shock in the parking lot and call back with the measurements. She seemed to reassure me that if it is the wrong part number swapping them out wouldn’t be an issue. If this is the case, really not looking forward to pulling the springs again for bumpstops though.. ugh. Gonna setup my CB today so it will be ready for the trail ride saturday. More to come.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Luckily for me, I had already drilled/tapped a hole in the lower spring perch, so I should be able to snake a puck in there without pulling the springs. Sucks you have to pull a shock.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Luckily for me, I had already drilled/tapped a hole in the lower spring perch, so I should be able to snake a puck in there without pulling the springs. Sucks you have to pull a shock.

Same, although curious how you knew you needed another inch of bumpstop without pulling the springs :).

How much up travel do you have, and what is the total travel of the shock? You generally want about 50/50 or 60/40 down bias to prevent tire contact.

With 3.5” of bumpstop, not very much. Don’t have a measured number on hand.

Same, although curious how you knew you needed another inch of bumpstop without pulling the springs :).

My Ranchos have an exposed piston rod(ditched their stupid rubber dust boots), so I measured from the bottom of the spring perch to the upper jounce bumper cup(metal portion, anticipating jounce bumper full compression), then measured the exposed portion of the shock piston rod and compared. Spring perch measurement, 5". Shock piston rod measurement 4.5". So, my shock will bottom out before my suspension reaches full compression. This is assuming my coil spring doesn't also reach full coil bind before they hit full bump.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Biggest package I’ve had at this apartment came in today ;)

3EA7B5AC-F948-4E99-ACD7-09F3AE85744B.jpeg

Packaging is questionable..

A3A9DFA6-4CBB-443F-A484-0687859462F6.jpeg

Everything looks really good and the parts list leaves a lot to question if its truly all there or not (I will know soon enough). It came undamaged (thank god) and with minimal storage rust. Very light rust on the tire carrier itself, however I can’t say the same for the handle LOL.

16B0DC25-EEC3-48E0-B547-AD2AD42995B9.jpeg
94B91A17-5423-4009-91D8-3E982FF62490.jpeg
8FDBC582-6C42-48F7-9921-0D69A111516C.jpeg

Even came with a retro sticker:

3326864F-A491-4AB0-BE31-B84EC090A98A.jpeg

Now to stop looking at this beauty and get a shock measurement.

Reactions: ac_ and bobthetj03
Me thinks that was a return at some point in it's life judging by the re-taping of the box...that is why you found it after it was discontinued. I bet they would have not resold it if it was still in production. Looks like it will work out great though...enjoy.

Me thinks that was a return at some point in it's life judging by the re-taping of the box...that is why you found it after it was discontinued. I bet they would have not resold it if it was still in production. Looks like it will work out great though...enjoy.
None of the factory orfab was taped on the side and all contents were where they were supposed to be so idk. Stoked though, looking into different paint options now.