James & The Sahara Build Thread

Agreed on the rub rails, that's on you. the hole misalignment would bother me, but not a deal breaker for the amount of variance a TJ has. not making excuses for Savvy. We need comparative evidence.
No the rub rails *should* follow the curve of the TJ naturally, but it appears they are designed with a bow to be pulled inward and that’s what shapes them. Without that rear bolt and tension there is nothing pulling it that way. A clamp and some heat should help shape it when I take the hard top off. What comparative evidence are you after? Its 3 seperate panels that are significantly off.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I'd have to paint all that raw aluminum, it would drive me nuts! Really some damn nice parts though!

Who else makes panels like this? Comparative evidence of another that makes like/kind/quality.
Forgive me if this sounds brash, but does matter? Anyone selling a tj specific corner guard should be able to nail the tail light/license plate/key/handles, no? If a company like Motobilt makes corners that match the holes, its great and all, but it doesn’t help me. All it would tell me is exactly what we already know, these product’s holes should line up.

It doesn’t matter if I bought Savvy/Genright/PS/MetalCloak/Motobilt I’d expect the same thing, the holes pre-drilled in the armor line up. Especially if they are externally visible holes for the key or handle.

I'd have to paint all that raw aluminum, it would drive me nuts! Really some damn nice parts though!
I’ve cleaned enough marine aluminum to not mind the light maintenance. Although the stainless steel may get painted :).

I’m going to go ahead and add that I’m not upset with the products or experiences thus far with Savvy Offroad. I’m just calling to attention things I don’t believe should be an issue in a product of this caliber. I’ll let you know if I get that valance sorted out next time I can call back (Monday).

It looks great, hopefully I’ll get to try ‘em out real soon. Still working on that mystery item, shipping is complicated. Hoping to get some more photo’s tomorrow of the finalized rig :).

I'm picking up what you're laying down brah. It all does look sharp, even if the holes don't line up perfectly. First couple wheeling trips and the related scars those trips will generate, it won't much matter. Wheel on!

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Well it was a solo wheeling day, so didn’t get too crazy out there. Hoping I can do some serious wheeling soon:

BDBD6C96-39C4-4487-A62B-5EC77299DD67.jpeg
B3D73AE3-4E95-4296-9BA8-C82D0F1D0C5B.jpeg
D090BAF0-9659-4A96-85B6-543737EBE9D3.jpeg
C08B41EF-F9C6-46BE-9178-B31206D8EA64.jpeg
7C835E46-D72C-4864-A6B8-AABB262A3830.jpeg
8169AF0C-7325-4D63-981E-E8E334933059.jpeg
A9326040-FABD-4F2E-92D0-D9C5C23031C0.jpeg
9923FF22-A9A1-41F7-AA9D-738D2C68FDBC.jpeg
BF51411B-67E5-4764-81BB-DA61753DE114.jpeg

Well getting ahold of Savvy has proved to be challenging this week. Its very clear after talking to Katie that there isn’t much they can do until KOH is over. I will wait and hopefully reach resolution.

My stainless steel step seems to not like the elements very much. It continues to form surface rust spots even after cleaning and coating it. I may be pulling it off to paint it. Very tempting at this point to also pull off the rub rails and paint them black (As a safeguard in the event it starts to go too). I’m not worried about the aluminum... the stainless steel I don’t exactly want to be fighting forever.

Still trying to get a trail ride organized so I can get this puppy trail tested!

Reactions: JMT
Well getting ahold of Savvy has proved to be challenging this week. Its very clear after talking to Katie that there isn’t much they can do until KOH is over. I will wait and hopefully reach resolution.

My stainless steel step seems to not like the elements very much. It continues to form surface rust spots even after cleaning and coating it. I may be pulling it off to paint it. Very tempting at this point to also pull off the rub rails and paint them black (As a safeguard in the event it starts to go too). I’m not worried about the aluminum... the stainless steel I don’t exactly want to be fighting forever.

Still trying to get a trail ride organized so I can get this puppy trail tested!
Have them cleared.

Nice poser shots brah! rattle can clear would work just fine and make touch ups easier. Just scuff with a grey Scotchbrite pad, clean, and throw a few coats of clear on.

Have them cleared.
Well I called up the local PC shop an hour away, quoted $250.00 to get them powdercoated in clear. He strongly reccomended I powdercoated it in silver because after blasting the stainless steel (required for them to powdercoat, even ar bare metal) it would not look the same. Leaning more towards pulling them & painting them in rustoleum clear or black.

Nice poser shots brah! rattle can clear would work just fine and make touch ups easier. Just scuff with a grey Scotchbrite pad, clean, and throw a few coats of clear on.
I appreciate the comment JB ;), sadly weather won’t permit a trip to a location like morris mountain this weekend :(. Would it be better to just clear coat the stainless or prime-paint it black? I’ve never had any great luck with just using clear coat, but willing to give it a shot.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Well I called up the local PC shop an hour away, quoted $250.00 to get them powdercoated in clear. He strongly reccomended I powdercoated it in silver because after blasting the stainless steel (required for them to powdercoat, even ar bare metal) it would not look the same. Leaning more towards pulling them & painting them in rustoleum clear or black.

I appreciate the comment JB ;), sadly weather won’t permit a trip to a location like morris mountain this weekend :(. Would it be better to just clear coat the stainless or prime-paint it black? I’ve never had any great luck with just using clear coat, but willing to give it a shot.

The sheen of the stainless might look a little different than it does now as a result of scuffing it to create some bite for the clear to stick to it, so maybe black would be a better choice. Black accents on a white jeep just plain work IMO.

It's you like it stainless color, give clear a shot. If it turns out you don't like it, or it doesn't last, it's easy to paint black at that point.

Not so easy to go from black to clear
If you you guys think it will hold up I’ll give it a shot. I bought some extra nutserts as blaine shared a fantastic idea to make it easier to pull the steps on and off.

Last edited:
I’d paint them silver and then clear or black. Your wheels are silver, your tires are black. It’s a tough call. Actually been thinking about what I would do if your Jeep were mine since you put them on

I’d paint them silver and then clear or black. Your wheels are silver, your tires are black. It’s a tough call. Actually been thinking about what I would do if your Jeep were mine since you put them on
Well my ideal rims will be a dark grey. I don’t like silver or black rims on my rig. Its between clear and black on them. Going to give clear a shot and see how it holds up. Scotchbright and quality clear coat sounds easy enough.

Reactions: bobthetj03