James & The Sahara Build Thread

Yeah, scary to imagine what salt would have done. I have considered painting the hardtop black, although I probably won’t ever do it. Have considered getting a twill soft top for year round. Just a matter of finding a TJ owner locally with one so I can see how well it holds up. Hardtop season is nearly over hahaha, can’t wait to take it off!
So, James...when you first started putting all this stuff on, the first thing I though of was the possibility of moister being trapped between the panels and your factory sheet metal. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me, but I have "zero" experience with these things. I'd be concerned you're creating an environment that'll promote rusting of your factory sheet metal. At the vey least, the rust that's happening is going to stain that white paint. Don't you think it would be a good idea to paint the backside of all the armor you mounted? Just a thought..

So, James...when you first started putting all this stuff on, the first thing I though of was the possibility of moister being trapped between the panels and your factory sheet metal. Seems like a recipe for disaster to me, but I have "zero" experience with these things. I'd be concerned you're creating an environment that'll promote rusting of your factory sheet metal. At the vey least, the rust that's happening is going to stain that white paint. Don't you think it would be a good idea to paint the backside of all the armor you mounted? Just a thought..
So the aluminum won’t rust and the sheet metal has some quality automotive paint on it. I’m not really concerned with the tub vs aluminum contact. I talked to a couple other people and its just something you have to accept when putting armor on. It will stain it but its not like I can remove the armor and sell it later on. Way too many holes to do that!! :D

Reactions: Squatch
So the aluminum won’t rust and the sheet metal has some quality automotive paint on it. I’m not really concerned with the tub vs aluminum contact. I talked to a couple other people and its just something you have to accept when putting armor on. It will stain it but its not like I can remove the armor and sell it later on. Way too many holes to do that!! :D
Ahhh...I was also under the impression that the tub armor was stainless, not aluminum. My mistake! And as for removing the armor later on down the road, you're right...that'd be a whole lotta holes!!!

Agreed! No worries so many metals going on here hahaha.

Reactions: Squatch
Installed the armor today but it was raining hard and dark.. so no pictures till tomorrow I guess. I’ve removed the armor so many times the whole thing is now a huge pita to go on and off. I will not be removing these again anytime soon.

The tire carrier will require a repaint on the pivot point in the near future beause its starting to rust out. Not looking forward to it hahahaha. Debating option on whether a paint or PC would hold up better. May try an industrial paint on just the pivot point so it would hold up better.

Hopefully will fit up the third brake light tomorrow. Currently trying to figure out where to drill a hole in the tub for the third brake light and for the CB antenna cable.

CB will be here on monday so going to wire all that up on tuesday probably.

I’ve got one or two more small mods coming up but this rodeo is gonna slow down soon... ;)

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Are you mounting the CB antenna on the driver side or passenger?
Driver side, against the body:

0D001854-B5CD-486C-839F-B65D5EDA2C78.jpeg

It clear the hardtop liftgate glass perfectly. Never intended on using this kind of mount but the ORFAB tire carrier came with the striker mount having provisions for a CB. Since it ties into the rollcage the ground is VERY impressive :).

You can run the coax thru the tail light and up thru the factory wiring harness that goes thru the tub. Just cut a small slit in the rubber boot for the wiring harness and feed it thru. You may need to dremel a groove in the tail light housing so the coax fits flush.

You can run the coax thru the tail light and up thru the factory wiring harness that goes thru the tub. Just cut a small slit in the rubber boot for the wiring harness and feed it thru. You may need to dremel a groove in the tail light housing so the coax fits flush.
That is a strong possibility, just a matter of where the cable routes to with no kinks and naturally. I really wanted to do LED tail lights in the rear but probably not the best option for me.

That is a strong possibility, just a matter of where the cable routes to with no kinks and naturally. I really wanted to do LED tail lights in the rear but probably not the best option for me.

Throw some LED bulbs in the factory tails and get the proper relay, done! FYI, I put LED back up bulbs in mine, and Wow! I can see backing into my carport at night!

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Throw some LED bulbs in the factory tails and get the proper relay, done! FYI, I put LED back up bulbs in mine, and Wow! I can see backing into my carport at night!
With James being the poster child for Savvy, I cannot believe he hasn't grabbed up a pair of their tail lights, yet! Or is that one of the "...one or two more small mods coming up"??? ;)

Reactions: bobthetj03

Trust me, I’ve been there :D

image.jpg

With James being the poster child for Savvy, I cannot believe he hasn't grabbed up a pair of their tail lights, yet! Or is that one of the "...one or two more small mods coming up"??? ;)
Actually after owning my JW speaker headlights, if the LED’s aren’t heated I am not keen on putting them on my vehicle. Nothing against the product, but tail lights are the number one thing I don’t want clumping up with snow. I’ll stick to my incandescents :). If I could re-do my headlights I would have purchased heated!

CB came in broken, go figure with refurbished model. Going to return this one and get a new one. Applied some grip tape to the steps as I’m finding it prevents shoes from chewing up the steps.

Gave in with 100 stickers laid around and placed a couple of them where I saw fit. May keep them there, may remove ‘em in the future. Here’s some photos of the newly
Installed black armor:

66552830-C926-4661-B01D-3F9646180226.jpeg
0515F470-E3CC-4816-9B57-F3702E226D79.jpeg
614D8AD2-0FEC-4915-9E40-367CF0635483.jpeg
25C88784-131B-4325-A951-777431141DA2.jpeg
D546008A-99A5-4532-81F9-035FE419161A.jpeg
6E8127B5-F824-400D-9A92-4681F74DCCFA.jpeg
E7A3CFD6-1912-4A55-933E-7DE32DDE1676.jpeg

I was figuring I'd have to use some skateboard grip tape too, when I do mine! Nice addition.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara