Jeep dogs

Grumpy the jeep dog(not my current jeep)

KIF_0022.JPG

Last edited:
This is my Miniature Schnauzer, Greta von Strudel* at about 6 months old during her first full day of off roading. She might not look too happy in this picture but she was keeping an eye on someone else fueling up behind us.
IMG_20200904_124518125_HDR.jpg

Here she is looking more normal after getting groomed a few days later:
IMG_20200910_105801429.jpg

* the name Greta was given to her before we got her. It could have been changed but my daughter and wife really liked it so I let it stay. She is pure bred Schnauzer and we're not getting her registered but I added the von Strudel because I think everyone loves a sweet dessert. For some reason the wife and daughter don't like that. <Whatever. I used to tell people that my Greta doesn't speak English and she doesn't think climate change is man made. I'm surprised, but totally happy, about the number of people that had no idea what I was talking about.

We rescued this french Mastiff (Hooch) girl a few weeks ago, poor thing was used for breeding in the Ukraine and ended up in a not so great home here in the state, she’s a sweetie but quiet, 115 pounds of chicken, we’re trying to get her to come out of her shell, we gain a little bit of being a free normal house dog out of her every day.
Maybe some day she’ll enjoy rides in the Jeep
1AEA1C0A-0A68-486F-8773-8F179DB97FAF.jpeg

We rescued this french Mastiff (Hooch) girl a few weeks ago, poor thing was used for breeding in the Ukraine and ended up in a not so great home here in the state, she’s a sweetie but quiet, 115 pounds of chicken, we’re trying to get her to come out of her shell, we gain a little bit of being a free normal house dog out of her every day.
Maybe some day she’ll enjoy rides in the Jeep
View attachment 236328
I know what you mean, patience is the key. Our rescue golden took a year before she started to wag her tail, damn near cried when it happened. She turned out to be a damn fine companion.

Last edited:
Ranger is a Merle, best dog I ever had! Also had a couple good heeler cross.
Ranger is a rescue off the Navajo reservation. His DNA came back Australian Cattledog (heeler), Australian Shepherd, German Shepherd, Collie etc... He's definitely got the herding dog instincts. I had an Australian Shepherd that was a blue merle also. She was an awesome dog too. The herding breeds are definitely my favorites.

Quick update:
I took Jaxon out on his first, real 4WD trip in the newly built jeep.
Damn!!!
Wont ever do that again. He always wants to go sooo bad, I can't help but take him. I've made the wife so sick that now she wont go with me, but, I need to include the dog. Trail riding ok, wife and both dogs love that, but off road, in trails, nope.
Poor dog was so sick he wouldn't leave my lap. Then, while I was paying close attention to him I ended up (three times) running into objects that completely stopped the jeep. Good thing I was going very slow. After that, I just couldn't take it anymore, so I passed him over to my brother, where Jaxon proceeded to pee on brothers lap!!!
K, dogs NOT allowed on real trails anymore!!!
I'm sad.

Quick update:
I took Jaxon out on his first, real 4WD trip in the newly built jeep.
Damn!!!
Wont ever do that again. He always wants to go sooo bad, I can't help but take him. I've made the wife so sick that now she wont go with me, but, I need to include the dog. Trail riding ok, wife and both dogs love that, but off road, in trails, nope.
Poor dog was so sick he wouldn't leave my lap. Then, while I was paying close attention to him I ended up (three times) running into objects that completely stopped the jeep. Good thing I was going very slow. After that, I just couldn't take it anymore, so I passed him over to my brother, where Jaxon proceeded to pee on brothers lap!!!
K, dogs NOT allowed on real trails anymore!!!
I'm sad.

Sorry to hear about that. Jaxon's first off road trip ever or his first in that Jeep? How old is he? Maybe he just needs some extra training to keep him calmer while off roading (and while sitting on your brother's lap).

Early on we had problems with Greta not wanting to be anywhere near any vehicle. Once we were able to get her in, she had to be on someone's lap no matter what. With the top off I tried putting her in my TJ while I was building a platform for her to ride on. She hated it and wanted to jump out, luckily she realized it was too high to jump from.
IMG_20200624_101748951_HDR.jpg

I put her in the back of my parked Ram 1500 and she wanted to jump over the side of the bed to get out. The way I fixed this was "leashing" her to the TJ passenger seat, taking the doors off and driving a half a mile or so in my neighborhood. Later that day we went a little farther. We stepped it up a couple times and the next thing I knew she was sitting on my shoulders like Jaxon in your picture. Here we are at a stop sign.
IMG_20200713_155121261.jpg

She's been off roading with me a couple times and we've had no problems. Maybe that's just because the windows were removed each time. She's not exactly terrible, but not so good in enclosed vehicles.

View attachment 213416

Our random peeing issue happens when she is over exited to see anybody or anything with a heartbeat. We've got her considerably better with the peeing (it's been a few weeks) and somewhat better about being over excited. We're still hoping for the best of both.