Just thought this would be a handy thread to have as reference. The light bulb types / sizes for the 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ are as follows:

1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Replacement Lightbulb Size Guide

Low Beam Headlamp Light Bulb Size: H6024
High Beam Headlamp Light Bulb Size: H6024
Parking Light Bulb Size: 3157
Front Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 3157
Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 1157
Tail Light Bulb Size: 1157
Stop Light Bulb Size: 1157
High Mount Stop Light Bulb Size: 921
Fog/Driving Light Bulb Size: H3
Back Up Light Bulb Size: 1156
Front Side Marker Light Bulb Size: 168
Dome Light Bulb Size: 211-2
Step/Courtesy Light Bulb Size: 906
Under Hood Light Bulb Size: 561
Instrument-General Light Bulb Size: PC74
Automatic Transmission Indicator Light Bulb Size: 658

Used this today it was HUGE help. Thanks so much for doing this!

Is there only one type of 3157. I just put smoke signals in and I replaced the bulbs with amber ones. When I turn the turn signal on, it turns the one on in the opposite out side, the little one. I switched the front ones back to clear and they all work fine now. The 3157 looks like it has something extra in it compared to the 3157 amber that I bought.
By the way this is an 06 LJ.

Is there only one type of 3157. I just put smoke signals in and I replaced the bulbs with amber ones. When I turn the turn signal on, it turns the one on in the opposite out side, the little one. I switched the front ones back to clear and they all work fine now. The 3157 looks like it has something extra in it compared to the 3157 amber that I bought.
Were you putting in LED or just a regular amber bulb?

The side marker light grounds through the turn signal filament on the front marker/turn signal bulb. Normally, putting voltage on the turn signal element of the 3157 should cause the side marker light to turn off.

Reactions: Moon Eyes
Anyone know which bulb is in the ‘second’ dome light above the cargo area at the back of the hard top? My ‘98 Sahara has one right above the back window. Is it the same as the dome light on the sound bar? Also, which lights are supposed to be under the dash in the footwells? Both of mine are missing. Going to stock up on some spares. Thanks!

Anyone know which bulb is in the ‘second’ dome light above the cargo area at the back of the hard top? My ‘98 Sahara has one right above the back window. Is it the same as the dome light on the sound bar? Also, which lights are supposed to be under the dash in the footwells? Both of mine are missing. Going to stock up on some spares. Thanks!
Everything right here in one neat post: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ghts-of-your-jeep-wrangler-tj-with-leds.9149/

I appreciate everything that has been posted so far on this topic (THANK YOU), but I can't seem to find any post on this site that has the bulb type for the hardtop light. I'm asking specifically about a 97-02 hardtop, but I'm sure the 03-06 hardtop has a lightbulb as well. Does anyone know that bulb type for LED replacement? Mine works but it is super dim.

looks like Dome Light Bulb Size: 211-2 from earlier post in this thread.
dig through that thread for more info...looks like the 97 had slightly different bulb sizes.
Also, the 03-06 did not have a hardtop light. Overhead lighting was done with the soundbar lights only from the factory.

Last edited:
Old post but on my 02 soft top TJ the dome light is the same as the steplight and is a 906. Found out when the 211-2 didn’t fit

Yep, my original post only applies to 03-06, I need to update that.

The side marker light grounds through the turn signal filament on the front markIer/turn signal bulb. Normally, putting voltage on the turn signal element of the 3157 should cause the side marker light to turn off.
Maybe this is why I cannot get these LED's to work on my front Turn Signal? When I put them in, it causes the Rear LED's to malfunction as seen in the video below. When I put back in the incandescent bulb, the LED bulbs in the rear work fine. I've also noticed in the front the alternating Turn signal and side marker.

I know you cannot replace the side markers with LED, but is there a way to get the front amber turn signals to work? They are so much brighter!

I have an ‘05 TJ and swapped the break lights, front running lights and turn signals for LED bulbs. I replaced my flasher ray with the LM470 relay and my front running lights dont come on except for when i put a turn signal on, they will strobe very very dimly. anyone else have this issue and found a solution? head lights and reverse lights are still stock.

Just picked up my Jeep yesterday and already starting with the mods…. looking for lights and found this forum. I gotta say it is awesome stuff! Really looking forward to picking brains as I start my rehab. Gonna be cleaning up the paint and trim next I think. Cheers!

Reactions: JustDandee