Wyoming Looking for Yellowstone suggestions

pagrey

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Planning a trip to Yellowstone in August and wanted to ask for suggestions. Traveling with a group, 7-14 year old kids and some over the hill folks like me, a pair of very mildly built full size trucks. Just a fun family style trip. Staying about a week just west of the park off the 20. I hope some Idaho folks see this too. I have always found really great suggestions from people on this forum, any advice would be appreciated.

Any suggestions would be great, things to do, things not to miss, roads to drive, trails to take hiking or driving. I know nothing about Yellowstone other than Yogi bear.
Scenery wise, coming in the south entrance is probably going to get you the best wild life viewing. There are a bunch of side attractions along the way, it just depends on what you find interesting. Lava Hot Springs in Idaho is a pretty nice place to visit.

This route would probably give you the best scenery for the journey, unless you want to head north to around Redding before you cut across.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Yel...f254608f4!2m2!1d-118.2436849!2d34.0522342!3e0

Reactions: pagrey
The wife and I where there 4yrs ago. My 1st time. Did all the attractions, Old Faithful was pretty neat to see. the Lodge there is a must visit. Hikes to the platforms to see Yellowstone falls worth it. We did stay in West Yellowstone while we where there. We drove up from seeing the Grand Tetons. Also no cell service while in the park, which I found nice. Give the buffaloes all the room on the road they want, Passed couple bulls in a vw bug. eyeball level. And watch out for tour buses if any.

Reactions: reddvltj and pagrey
If you're staying in or around Jackson I can be of some use, I lived there for 4 years. The Jackson side of things is the more crowded but also nicer part of Yellowstone.

There's a VERY nice campground about 30 miles out of the west side right on the Snake river that we always hit when we went there.

Just don't get close wildlife 🙄
Plan was to leave extra space in the back of the SUV just in case we run across any buffalo calves that look cold.

idiot.jpg