MaxBilt vs ORO LED taillights

I run the maxbilt lights and am happy with them. I like the idea of the resin on top of the LEDs instead of plastic. There’s a video of maxbilt hitting them with a baseball bat and stuff like that and they hold. Could come in handy if any crazy ex’s come after your Jeep 😂

I liked the simple look they have on my more industrial looking rear end with the raw aluminum. That being said I really like the way a low profile rectangle light looks like the savvy or sunken stock lights.

Your Jeep is already far from ordinary looking to my eye, but probably not to the average JK owner lol. I think the sunken stock light looks like the most fitting option for your style.

I also run the maxbilt and have run the sunken in lights before. Prefer the maxbilt due to the built in side marker which made it possible for me to delete my side markers on the rear quarter.

That being said, I’m not sure I like the look. Looks fine on raw aluminum but we will see how it goes after paint.

If by then I don’t like them and the savvy’s aren’t available, I’ll be getting these:

https://maxxima.com/products/produc...-Three-Stud-STTBU-Box-Light.html#.YouieqRlDDs
60 a piece on grainger, 1.4” deep. I’ll wire a small LED strip to the side of the housing to have that side signal taken care of.

probably been mentioned but do you have state laws on plate illumination? that might influence your options.

I also run the maxbilt and have run the sunken in lights before. Prefer the maxbilt due to the built in side marker which made it possible for me to delete my side markers on the rear quarter.

That being said, I’m not sure I like the look. Looks fine on raw aluminum but we will see how it goes after paint.

If by then I don’t like them and the savvy’s aren’t available, I’ll be getting these:

https://maxxima.com/products/produc...-Three-Stud-STTBU-Box-Light.html#.YouieqRlDDs
60 a piece on grainger, 1.4” deep. I’ll wire a small LED strip to the side of the housing to have that side signal taken care of.
Those aren't bad looking.

probably been mentioned but do you have state laws on plate illumination? that might influence your options.
No idea. If we do, I don't think it is enforced very well considering the number of falling apart beaters with Chinese light bars I see around.

Reactions: someguysjeep
No idea. If we do, I don't think it is enforced very well considering the number of falling apart beaters with Chinese light bars I see around.
With no spare center mount it on the tailgate with a light.

Reactions: JMT
Since you mention it, I haven't had a center brake light or a plate light for many years. And both front and rear license plates have been modified.
I don't even know where my front plate is and they are required in Minnesota. I bought the ORO tailgate mount light but I don't know where that is either.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JMT and jjvw
I just ordered some Maxbilt tail lights and LED license lights last night. Trying to wrap up the rear spare holder and lights and license are the last items. I would've gone Savvy if they were available. The lifetime warranty and baseball bat video sold me.

• Haha
Reactions: starkey480 and jjvw
I don't even know where my front plate is and they are required in Minnesota. I bout the ORO tailgate mount light but I don't know where that is either.
I kept getting tickets when I would have to go down town for my side business's meetings from the stupid meter maids. I finally just smashed it between my winch plate and the fairlead.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition
I'm weighing a few options. Savvy is high on the list, but we know how things have been with them recently.

One option that I really like is how Blaine sunk the stock housing up to the lense into the tub. It keeps the stock look. But I need to come to terms with chopping a big hole into the future corner armor. And I need to make sure I have room behind the shock tower after the future stretch.

View attachment 332336View attachment 332337
Dare I point these out?
Plastic I'm running (they're fine, were in stock, sidelight built in) and billet for a lot more money. 3/4" depth IIRC.

https://metalcloak.com/tj-wrangler-rear-molded-led-kit.html
Thunder Thighs!

PXL_20220521_195555063.jpg

Reactions: JMT