Midnight LJR Build

Glad to see I am not the only one with this problem.šŸ˜Š

@jjvw If you center the tire are you going to be able to reach the handle behind it? I originally wanted the tire centered but then realized if it was I would not be able to reach the handle.
Iā€™m not sure how the OEM carrier mounts to your tailgate due to the vent, older models have vents in the hard top, but you might be able mount the carrier to a plate that offsets to the original location to get you up and over more. I did this with my original carrier, I cut down the amount it stands off the tailgate and welded it to a plate that I offset to the factory bolt holes. This moved it up, over, and closer to the tailgate. It was far enough up and away to still get a key in and activate the pull handle.

Iā€™m not sure how the OEM carrier mounts to your tailgate due to the vent, older models have vents in the hard top, but you might be able mount the carrier to a plate that offsets to the original location to get you up and over more. I did this with my original carrier, I cut down the amount it stands off the tailgate and welded it to a plate that I offset to the factory bolt holes. This moved it up, over, and closer to the tailgate. It was far enough up and away to still get a key in and activate the pull handle.

Thanks I will look at it, I may just weld up an adapter that replaces the spacer/adapter I have In there to convert the lug patten. I only need to move it up about 3/4ā€.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Ok a list of outstanding items to be done that I have the parts in for, and what's next. Hoping to push and get all the items in bold done this weekend.

Maintenance
  • Change Oil
  • Replace ODPA
  • Replace Spark Plugs
Armor
  • Install Rock Sliders
  • Install Corner Armor
  • Install engine Skid
  • Finishing installing frame reinforcement brackets on rear bumper. Just a few bolts and two holes to drill.

Exterior
  • Install mucket Seals
  • Assemble and test fit half doors
  • Paint OEM flares (I might buy new ones but figured I may as well try painting these first to see how they turn out)
  • After armor is installed it will all need to be removed and painted but going to wait a few weeks for that until after Castle Crags trip.

Tune/troubleshoot
  • Going to need to cycle suspension again to see how itā€™s behaving with new shocks and wheels. That way I can see if itā€™s good or if I want to go to 1.5ā€ spacers.
  • Still getting pulsating vibrations at about 65+ Even though pinion angles are as perfect as I can get them. Gonna pull the front shaft to see if they go away to at least isolate the problem. At this point I am not sure what it could be other than an unbalanced driveshaft.
  • Build a spacer to fix tire height.
  • Fix last bolt problem on front bumper corner protectors.
  • Wind up winch cable correctly

Whatā€™s next?
  • Lighting LED Headlights/Fog Lights, etc.
  • Permanent CB setup
  • Recovery Gear
  • Upgrade sound system (Still need to find a clean radio that I like that doesn't have 73 tiny flashing buttons.)
  • Savvy tub sliders (not sure I am going to install these but am going to buy them in case they ever plan to stop making them and I want them).
  • Second set of wheels w/mud terrains.
  • Bestop soft top (I sold the slanted one and want to go with OEM style for more room.)
  • Locate and buy OEM half doors for daily driving, the Savvy will be used on the trail
Ok I think that's it for now, not the most exciting post in the world but it will help keep me organized

Impressive list you gots! The harmonic started after the re-gear?

Go for the Bestop Twill top. @Indy has it and says it's almost as quiet as his hardtop was.

@lowranger found some white half doors for me on CL, but I spent my disposable income fixing the genny on the coach, so I can't get them right now. I think it was in Rocklin. Check them out. Obviously you'd have to repaint them, but they looked pretty straight.

• Savvy tub sliders (not sure I am going to install these but am going to buy them in case they ever plan to stop making them and I want them).
I have actually be considering the same thing, they're the one's I want and I'm worried Savvy will pull a Savvy, and quit making them!

Seems like you have a fun weekend in front of you. If you want you could use my jeep or truck as an anchor at the campsite in order to tension the winch.

After all the issues (thrown codes) we ran into with the ODPA on Tom's jeep if it was me I would leave the OEM one in place unless one day you hear the laughing monkeys coming from the engine.

Impressive list you gots! The harmonic started after the re-gear?

Go for the Bestop Twill top. @Indy has it and says it's almost as quiet as his hardtop was.

@lowranger found some white half doors for me on CL, but I spent my disposable income fixing the genny on the coach, so I can't get them right now. I think it was in Rocklin. Check them out. Obviously you'd have to repaint them, but they looked pretty straight.

Vibrations started after the tummy tuck and new driveshafts. Everything was fine after the regear with stock shafts.

I found what I think are the half doors you were talking about. I sent the guy a message, thanks for lead! I donā€™t mind painting them. Since I have to get savvy doors and armor done anyway. It would be nice to get it all done at once.

In regards to the twill top that is what I wanted but donā€™t think they make it for the LJ. I will double check though.

Reactions: bobthetj03
I have actually be considering the same thing, they're the one's I want and I'm worried Savvy will pull a Savvy, and quit making them!

Right! I am a little worried I should buy a mid-arm kit as well, just in case I ever decide to do it. Although that might be a little excessive, even for me. šŸ˜

• Haha
Reactions: Vasq and DrDmoney

well from what I'm seeing lately, if you like them you better get them now, even if you don't use them you could probably sell them at a profit. me thinks they are moving on from the TJ...

just our of curiosity, to those of you who have ordered from Savvy, is it best to call and place the order or do it online

Seems like you have a fun weekend in front of you. If you want you could use my jeep or truck as an anchor at the campsite in order to tension the winch.

After all the issues (thrown codes) we ran into with the ODPA on Tom's jeep if it was me I would leave the OEM one in place unless one day you hear the laughing monkeys coming from the engine.

Thatā€™s a great plan to do it at the campground if I donā€™t have time, thank you.

I was kind of thinking the same thing about the ODPA since I am not having any trouble. If itā€™s something that I can tell is beginning to go out I may just leave it. I am not super stressed about changing it at the moment. But the internet likes to freak me out about it. Makes me feel like I am a crazy person for moving my Jeep in the driveway without changing it. Good to hear someone else would just leave it.

just our of curiosity, to those of you who have ordered from Savvy, is it best to call and place the order or do it online

I just order online, the few times I have called they either did not answer or where quite short on the phone. It was just easier online. Some people do say you can get a discount if you call though. Not sure if thatā€™s true or not.

I just order online, the few times I have called they either did not answer or where quite short on the phone. It was just easier online. Some people do say you can get a discount if you call though. Not sure if thatā€™s true or not.
I have only ordered the TC shift cable online.
Thanks guys! (y)

Had a productive afternoon. Oil change, engine skid installed and chose a location for one of two fire extinguishers I am going to install. I am going to install the second one within reach of the driver seat. I really like these Element fire extinguishers they weigh almost nothing, so are not near as scary as having a regular one in the vehicle.

B324EDA0-76A2-4076-9E1E-94719E04493D.jpeg
F08385BF-7B18-45F8-9326-76F5DA297361.jpeg
4FDF5491-7ECF-4DC3-89BF-F680FF33F9AF.jpeg
F6EFA377-0240-4761-BF5E-B67B3C33AE89.jpeg

Had one of those days where you work all day and donā€™t really feel like you get anything done. Also ran into a few set backs.

First one was thinking I already had a 17/32ā€ drill bit and I didnā€™t. Local internet hero @Alex01 saved me there and found me one at NAPA, locally.

Then I was laying out all the bolts etc for the armor and skid and realized Savvy sent the wrong hardware I got a second set of tummy tuck hardware instead of corner armor hardware.

Once I got flares and tail lights etc all removed. I did a test fit in the slider backer. The OEM rivnuts were not going to allow the slider to sit flat. I tried drilling them out and it was being quite the challenge so I went ahead and just used a hammer to lightly tap them down flat. That seemed to work well.

Than I went to test fit the corner and armor and realized it was TJ not LJ armor! Whoops so I received the wrong hardware and the wrong corner armor. I confirmed on my receipt I did order correctly. I am just just glad I did not take the parts to be painted or powder coated before figuring this out. I will have to call Savvy Monday and get that sorted out.

Moral of the story is always check all the parts and hardware well ahead of your big install weekend. I wonā€™t let Savvy off completely on this including at least a packing list with there product would make it easier to confirm I have everything.

So here is where I sit as of now, tomorrow is going to be a big day, but hopefully progress will be quicker with all the busy work/cleaning parts etc already done.

3D9CCB6B-1206-455B-A29D-D85B175A9955.jpeg

i painted the stock flares since I had them off and the OEM paint was a wreck. We will see how it turns out or if I need to buy new ones.
C8740512-43AE-4C20-A694-ED27064716CB.jpeg

This is all the bolts and rivnuts laid out for the Sliders, I believe the green circled parts are extra and am not sure what the ones in red are for?
515CF566-4FC4-429C-8345-BFE2104F2950.jpeg

The OEM rivnuts were not going to allow the slider to sit flat. I tried drilling them out and it was being quite the challenge so I went ahead and just used a hammer to lightly tap them down flat. That seemed to work well.
I actually just drilled mine out today in prep for the same sliders which should be here on Wednesday. I'll definitely double check the hardware after reading this. Luckily my rivnuts drilled out ok (I used 1/4" bit), one tried to spin but i just put painters tape over the whole ordeal and grabbed it with come channel locks, seemed to work out. did end up doing some pounding as the tub sheet metal was pulled out for some reason. Glad to see you didn't have any irreversible dilemma's.

I might have to drill a couple out for the backer plate Iā€™ll have to look at it. It was the ones that I could not reach the back I was worried about. Didnā€™t want it to fall into the tub at rattle for eternity.

:)