Midnight LJR Build

Those are all good choices. Thanks guys.

Think I will go by fast earl and start with seeing if there is a next size up bolt that matches. I also have a rivnut Gun that came with a bunch of sizes that seems like a good option too.

New wheels came in. I verified the backspacing is indeed 5.25” which should be perfect because I can use my spacerS to bring me to exactly 4” of backspace or if I need to I can switch to the 1.5” to go to 3.75”.

I am also very excited because they have a much more dished look. So they look much more like the TJ Moabs unlike the JK Moabs which have much flatter spokes.

Here is a comparison of the wheels.
74207DFB-11BA-4010-BDDD-B160B1536B06.jpeg

Thanks to everyone who helped me figure out a new option.

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01
Got the Nextventure rear bumper bolted up. I still need to drill the extra holes, and install some frame stiffeners. After 2 sets of Nextventure frame stiffeners I am still unhappy with the quality of them. So I ordered a set of poison Spyder ones instead.

D4A9B394-BD56-4780-9F7A-471EF3D6762B.jpeg

As long as I am planning to tow the trailer I will run this bumper. I also have a Savvy rear bumper that might get switched to if I don’t end up hauling the trailer with the Jeep a lot.

Reactions: Alex01 and Indy
Got the new wheels installed. I like the look a lot, they look a lot like TJ Moabs.

Couple of positives I am going to be able to remove several steering stop spacers. It also looks like I am going to be able to remove the spacer from the tire carrier, moving the spare down and closer to the gate. This will be in addition to the extra tire clearance I will be gaining for articulation.

BE38B16D-C06E-48F5-AA04-D4F5D49DDE02.jpeg

Got the new wheels installed. I like the look a lot, they look a lot like TJ Moabs.

Couple of positives I am going to be able to remove several steering stop spacers. It also looks like I am going to be able to remove the spacer from the tire carrier, moving the spare down and closer to the gate. This will be in addition to the extra tire clearance I will be gaining for articulation.

View attachment 120288

They look much better than factory JK Moabs.

Reactions: Alex01 and DrDmoney
So today I checked the steering with the new wheels. I was able to remove all 4 washers I had in place for the other wheels and now have full stock steering angle back with a 1/2” of space between the control arms still.

With the backspacing of the last wheel I had to use the riser/extender on the rear tire. This gave the tire a lot more leverage on the gate and blocked some rearward visibility. With the new tire I was able to remove that. Now the tire sits about 2” lower and the center is in the same spot as stock and the rubber snubber on the bottom lines up much better to support the tire.

However in this new configuration the tire was about 1/8” from sitting on the hitch receiver of the Nextventure rear bumper, and since it wasn’t fabricated perfectly flat It has a slight upwards angle with the tire that low I was unable to slide in a ball hitch. Unless I wanted to grind a bit on the ball hitch. I might be able to find a different ball hitch that would work I still need to check that.

So that made the hitch in its current configuration at least combined with the tire in the new spot unusable for now. So I through the savvy bumper on for now just to check it out.

3845CD68-FF15-4C2C-B935-7013FDFC73DA.jpeg

I have a few choices I am balancing around to try and solve this as I would like a hitch for towing my trailer, or occasionally using a heat basket.

1) I could raise the tire back up. Re-drill the stock tire mount instead of using a adapter to make the lug pattern match that should move it up a couple inches and keep it closer to the body. Just have to see how hard to modify the OEM bracket for the JK lug pattern.

2) I am thinking I can cut/weld and modify a regular hitch to work to just go under the Savvy bumper. This would come with some ground clearance issues. Not sure it would be that big of issue since it would still be above the gas tank but would defiantly hurt departure angle. Not sure this will work with the savvy frame tie ins though.

3) Maybe find a new bumper that the hitch is about 3/4” lower than the next venture to give me the space I need.

4) Do a semi custom setup on possible a blank next venture. To try to have my cake and eat it too.

Here is a side shot the shows how close the tire sits to the bumper right now. This is with the savvy bumper, but the Nextventure receiver follows the same path as the top of that bumper which made it just a bit close to be able to slide a ball hitch in.
9433F184-0FF9-4CD6-A88F-A4F203AACCDC.jpeg

Not a huge problem, and not urgent. Not even hard to solve I just have to decide which compromise I am going to make for it to work out.

I hope to be in a similar predicament on mine soon when I lift the rear bumper/frame to remove the body lift.
20190825_193739.jpg

20191011_183611.jpg

The plan is to make an offset bracket to raise the stock mount on the Exogate that also centers it more than it is. This will be similar to the one Exogate includes, but I want to make mine lower profile to keep the spare pulled in tight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnight LJR
Glad to see I am not the only one with this problem.😊

@jjvw If you center the tire are you going to be able to reach the handle behind it? I originally wanted the tire centered but then realized if it was I would not be able to reach the handle.

Glad to see I am not the only one with this problem.😊

@jjvw If you center the tire are you going to be able to reach the handle behind it? I originally wanted the tire centered but then realized if it was I would not be able to reach the handle.

Not sure yet. It may not be fully centered, just more than it is. I also plan to keep a 33" spare after the jump to 35s, which will help in fitting everything together.

Reactions: Midnight LJR