Midnight LJR Build

It doesn’t seem to me that you need a shorter shock if you bump out with a 1/2” left, you don’t want the shock to be the stop in the uptravel, what is the overall stroke?

Correct, in the back the shock is good. It’s bumps out with 1/2” left.

In the front the shock bottoms out before the suspension so it is the stop.

I am currently running

Rear Rancho 55256
  • Compressed Length: 15.063
  • Extended Length: 24.688
  • Travel Length: 9.625

Front Rancho 55255
  • Compressed Length: 15.690 <—-This measurement is major problem
  • Extended Length: 26.420 <--this is kind of a problem because it causes interference with spring bucket and control arm at full droop
  • Travel Length: 10.730

I plan to switch the front to

New Front RS55239
  • Compressed Length: 14.430 <--this length should work perfect for compression
  • Extended Length: 23.840 <--and this will make the shock limit down travel just enough for control arm not to hit spring bucket
  • Travel Length: 9.410

Reactions: DrDmoney
Titan makes a 2" wide TJ>JK adapter. I haven't found anything wider. For my very specific purposes, I have given up on making JK wheels work.

Cool thank you I I will look them up right now.

That would put me at 4.25” backspace I am wondering If shouldn’t get the Quadratec Moabs for JK’s with 5” than run my current adapters which would put me at 3.75”. Hmmmm that 1/2” might be important.

Cool thank you I I will look them up right now.

That would put me at 4.25” backspace I am wondering If shouldn’t get the Quadratec Moabs for JK’s with 5” than run my current adapters which would put me at 3.75”. Hmmmm that 1/2” might be important.

2" adapters is a lot of adapter!

2" adapters is a lot of adapter!
It feels the way that’s for sure. Not sure why my brain is ok with 1.25” adapters but 2” “feels” like a lot. Since the backspace would be the same.This has thrown quite a little wrench in my build since there doesn’t appear to be hardly any wheels 17x8 with a 4” backspace. In TJ bolt pattern

————-

So in summary the current options I see are

1) Stock JK wheels 6.25” backspace with 2”Adapters for total - 4.25” backspace

2) Quadratec JK Moab’s 5.2” backspace with 1.25” adapters - 4” Backspace

3) Find a 17 x8ish wheel with TJ bolt pattern and correct backspace (having trouble finding this, especially in a simple design)

4) go back to a 16 which opens up wheel options a lot but destroys tire choice which was why I went 17 in the first place

————

15’s would be the easy answer but won’t work with my Vanco 16” kit

I originally decided to go with this setup after reading about @mrblaine build in this thread. Where the owner stated.

“Titan wheel adapters will be used to put them on the TJ bolt pattern. Good news is JK backspacing is 5.2" so a 1.25" wheel spacer puts it right about 4" overall backspacing on the TJ which is a good place to be.”

Which seems to be a common myth on the web that I have seen multiple places. But my wheels at least are not 5.2 they are 6.25”

Going to have to think through all this for a bit.

Last edited:
2) Quadratec JK Moab’s 5” backspace with 1.25” adapters - 3.75” Backspace

I like this option best.

2) Quadratec JK Moab’s 5” backspace with 1.25” adapters - 3.75” Backspace

I like this option best.

I just confirmed on the site it would technically be

2) Quadratec JK Moab’s 5.2” backspace with 1.25” adapters - 4” Backspace
link to wheels
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/moab-wheel-wrangler-jk-jl/machined
I am strongly leaning towards this too. As I already own the quality spidertrax spacers. Plus there are a ton of wheels avialble for JK/JL in 5.2" backspace 17x something or other. So that would future proof the decision a lot if those wheels get discontinued and it keeps the same atheistic of the wheels on the jeep which I really like.

47B2A043-3F45-46E7-B737-B7CFF67EC1EA.jpeg
B44BC932-E2FB-45E6-9F78-1C00F0ABB497.jpeg

I know you already have the spacers, but those Mamoth wheels with some H&R 20mm spacers would put you right at 4" of BS. Sell the Spidy Trax spacers and your old wheels and wheel on.

Reactions: Midnight LJR
1) Stock JK wheels 6.25” backspace with 2”Adapters for total - 4.25” backspace

I have 2" spacers on JK wheels. And always wondered if I needed that much to keep from rubbing. And to keep from lessening my turning radius. Would 1.25's work? How much backspace do you have to have to clear from rubbing on a stock TJ?

I have 2" spacers on JK wheels. And always wondered if I needed that much to keep from rubbing. And to keep from lessening my turning radius. Would 1.25's work? How much backspace do you have to have to clear from rubbing on a stock TJ?

I have not tried it but. I believe if you had no more than a 10.50” wide tire you would be perfectly fine with the 1.25” spacers.

Small updates hoping to make some progress in the garage this weekend.

Added a ton of storage pockets to my bar tact seat covers excited to have places to put a bunch of little things on upcoming trips.
74BA003B-D506-4012-A155-17BC64862B22.jpeg

BCBD2FA4-39D3-41B3-9C85-34206B6AF82F.jpeg

7FD821D4-0CEF-4A3F-994F-618E6E95C950.jpeg

New winch just arrived I decided to go with a Warn Zeon 8-S.
B95431A0-0637-4CE5-B693-6C9157DD5E8F.jpeg

New shorter front shocks arrived need to get these painted.
A22ED745-E921-4C9E-AF1C-15BA87CCBC5A.jpeg

Also I decided to go with Element fire extinguishers I am planning to put one at drivers feet and one in the back somewhere. Still working on mounting locations.
8F609A29-09EC-49E8-B853-34DF2C013083.jpeg

Also decided to go with the Quadratec Moab wheels and use my current spacers they should be delivered Tuesday.