New coil spring hitting bump stop cup

Just installed my 2.5” springs today along with RS5000x shocks and it seems that my front driver side is contacting the bump stops cup. As you can see it’s fitted correctly in the spring keeper at the bottom. Maybe I’ll just have to rotate it around until it finds a spot it likes?
I also used my 2 remaining bump stops on the rears that were disintegrated until I can get some new ones for the front.
The passenger side is normal but is oriented a little differently and doesn’t have that little groove in the same spot. Any thoughts?

229CC74A-FCE7-4291-9932-F603505FC202.jpeg

5395B844-52C2-4615-9A91-176E452A5882.jpeg

I’d check the front pinion angle ...not saying do anything radical ...get informed by others than me ...but a lift pulls the axle backward and that may be part of what’s going on ...2.5 doesn’t generally create drama ...so please understand I could be pretty far off. Keep us posted ...when you learn, we learn.

Will do. Im
I’d check the front pinion angle ...not saying do anything radical ...get informed by others than me ...but a lift pulls the axle backward and that may be part of what’s going on ...2.5 doesn’t generally create drama ...so please understand I could be pretty far off. Keep us posted ...when you learn, we learn.
Will do. I’m coming from a 2” budget boost so I’m doubting that’s the issue with minimal lift but....could be. I honestly sort of rushed the install (forgot bump stops, didn’t check spring alignment) to get it all done this afternoon so I’ll break this side down again next weekend.

After further research online, some manufactures say to just bend the bump stop tower in with a sledge and a 2x4. That seems less than desirable.

Also see that it could be the track bar. It’s hitting as if the spring is bulging out forwards though. Gonna call it a night for now and come back with fresh eyes.

• Sad
Reactions: taylormade73
My left front upper bump stop post is canted forward, which is opposite of yours. After adjusting axle distance to clear a gusset on the front trackbar, and dialed in pinion angle for a caster compromise, the upper bump stop cup was still plucking a coil. I saw something David Kispaugh had done (I don't know his reason for doing it) and thought it may be a solution for this issue. I removed the cup and replaced it with a short upper bump stop, and raised the lower bump stop extension to maintain the same shock compression limit. No more coil pluck and the bump stops centered at full compression.
Modified Bump Stop Left Front.JPG

My left front upper bump stop post is canted forward, which is opposite of yours. After adjusting axle distance to clear a gusset on the front trackbar, and dialed in pinion angle for a caster compromise, the upper bump stop cup was still plucking a coil. I saw something David Kispaugh had done (I don't know his reason for doing it) and thought it may be a solution for this issue. I removed the cup and replaced it with a short upper bump stop, and raised the lower bump stop extension to maintain the same shock compression limit. No more coil pluck and the bump stops centered at full compression.
View attachment 192820
Hmmm. Maybe I need to just push mine forward. I wonder if it’s possible that it took a hit at some point a moves backwards. Or maybe I bent it somehow on spring install. They were a bear to get on.

Thats a ton of shock shaft exposed in that photo, which made me think it was at full droop. Before I installed my Currie bumps, my cups would contact my springs at full droop. It didnt contact at ride height once under its own weight, but I did what @k-huevo did and remove some from upper and add to bottom.

Do you have adjustable CAs, longer after market ones, or stock? If adjustable, have you moved your axle forward or rearward at all?

Apparently it’s a super common problem that I somehow missed with an initial search. Looks like I can add adjustable track bar and/or new control arms or just leave it alone / bend it in a little.
I’ll most likely just wait until I get some proper front bump stops and fix it all then. The noise seems to have stopped anyways and since some have reported the problem fixing itself with a little driving, let’s hope I’m lucky.

On a side note, the new springs and shock feel great! It’s still a Jeep but it definitely absorbs the road a little better. Thanks to @CodaMan for the suggestions.

Reactions: CodaMan
Just installed my 2.5” springs today along with RS5000x shocks and it seems that my front driver side is contacting the bump stops cup. As you can see it’s fitted correctly in the spring keeper at the bottom. Maybe I’ll just have to rotate it around until it finds a spot it likes?
I also used my 2 remaining bump stops on the rears that were disintegrated until I can get some new ones for the front.
The passenger side is normal but is oriented a little differently and doesn’t have that little groove in the same spot. Any thoughts?

View attachment 192787

View attachment 192788
Plain and simple, your problem is you added the bumpstop above the cup. You need to remove it from there and tap your lower perches and put it there. Ask me how I know. I had the same problem 3years ago, cup rubbing spring. Hung around longer on the forum and learned about front bump stops going on the Lower perch.

Plain and simple, your problem is you added the bumpstop above the cup. You need to remove it from there and tap your lower perches and put it there. Ask me how I know. I had the same problem 3years ago, cup rubbing spring. Hung around longer on the forum and learned about front bump stops going on the Lower perch.
I don’t have any additional bump stop on top other than the factory tower and cup. I only have the “spacers” on the rear. I do plan to add the proper style bump stop in the further but for now it’s all stock up front.

I don’t have any additional bump stop on top other than the factory tower and cup. I only have the “spacers” on the rear. I do plan to add the proper style bump stop in the further but for now it’s all stock up front.
Well crap! I’d remove the spring and check if the upper is square with the perch so it’s centered in the coil. This would not be corrected with a trackbar or control arms. You only have 2.5” of lift.

Well crap! I’d remove the spring and check if the upper is square with the perch so it’s centered in the coil. This would not be corrected with a trackbar or control arms. You only have 2.5” of lift.
I’ll try that. My theory was that if the axle (and therefore the lower perch) was shifted towards drivers side that it could induce that outward bow that we see there. Just wild guessing though. I’d prefer it to be a seating issue so I can stop buying parts haha.

Reactions: JMT