California NorCal Jeep adventures!

UHF. If you are programing via frequencies, channel 4:00 is frequency 462.637.
1613065646439.png

@Indy am I reading this correctly? From what I see we would be limited to .5-5 W on channgels 1-14 but then allowed to broadcast up to 50 after.

Reactions: Indy and tomtaylz
UHF. If you are programing via frequencies, channel 4:00 is frequency 462.637.
Does that mean someone who doesnt have access to channels could use that channels exact frequency and communicate with us? In other words if im on channel 4 and you are on freq 462.637 can we talk? Or is that not how it works

View attachment 225442
@Indy am I reading this correctly? From what I see we would be limited to .5-5 W on channgels 1-14 but then allowed to broadcast up to 50 after.
Channels 8-14 are FRS only channels and are limited to 0.5 watts. 1-7 and 15-22 are shared FRS/GMRS channels. 1-7 is limited to 5 watts, but 15-22 can run up to 50 watts, with a license. 15-22 are also repeater channels if your repeater function is on.

Reactions: Indy and Alex01
Does that mean someone who doesnt have access to channels could use that channels exact frequency and communicate with us? In other words if im on channel 4 and you are on freq 462.637 can we talk? Or is that not how it works
Midland and Cobra dumbed it down for us by assigning channel numbers for the frequencies, so with the chart @Alex01 posted, you can go to say channel 4 on your radio (which is frequency 462.637) and communicate with anyone on that frequency.

Some GMRS radios like the Baufangs and higher end Kenwoods, and HAM radios (with the MARS mod) need to know the frequency numbers because they don't go off of the basic channel numbers Midland and Cobra are programmed to. They basically preprogramed them for us dummies.

Reactions: Indy and D M
Midland and Cobra dumbed it down for us by assigning channel numbers for the frequencies, so with the chart @Alex01 posted, you can go to say channel 4 on your radio (which is frequency 462.637) and communicate with anyone on that frequency.
Oh thats actually really cool. Thanks

Midland and Cobra dumbed it down for us by assigning channel numbers for the frequencies, so with the chart @Alex01 posted, you can go to say channel 4 on your radio (wich is frequency 462.637) and communicate with anyone on that frequency.
I need to type in channels manually. Since I can only turn my radio as low as 5 looks like I should stay off the mid-range channels. Aren't we handicapping ourselves though not transmitting on channels 15+? Your radio goes to 15w and mine 50.

Channels 8-14 are FRS only channels and are limited to 0.5 watts. 1-7 and 15-22 are shared FRS/GMRS channels. 1-7 is limited to 5 watts, but 15-22 can run up to 50 watts, with a license. 15-22 are also repeater channels if your repeater function is on.
Remind me again why the mxt275 skips channels 8-14?

I need to type in channels manually. Since I can only turn my radio as low as 5 looks like I should stay off the mid-range channels. Aren't we handicapping ourselves though not transmitting on channels 15+? Your radio goes to 15w and mine 50.
That is the down side to GMRS. You can't legally, under FCC rules, transmit above 5w on 1-7, but how many channels do you need? 15-22 can transmit up to 50w, with 122 privacy tones available, you won't run out of channels any time soon. Where it gets more complicated is when you want to use repeaters. A repeater has its own rx frequency and either a ctcss tone or a dcs tone. Some repeater require a split tone, one to tx and one to rx.
As an example, the Hunter repeater I was using last Saturday is tx: 462.625 Channel 18 for us dummies), rx: 467.625, with a privacy tone of ctcss: 179.9. So, I would set my radio on channel 18, with my ctcss tone on sub channel 29. I can then ping the tower and be able to tx out as far as the repeater can send it. Having more watts of power will help extend the range and get thru obstacles better, like buildings, trees, mountains, etc. As long as you are on the same frequency, and ctcss tone, you can tx back to me.

Reactions: Indy and Alex01
Remind me again why the mxt275 skips channels 8-14?
@Alex is correct. GMRS radios can't broadcast on those channels. Those are reserved for FRS radios only, and are limited to 0.5watts, so unless you are in a close group they are useless to most. The radios will do the work for you, so say you have a FRS radio that is also GMRS capable, if you use 8-14 the radio will only tx out at 0.5w. Most hand helds max out at 5w, and have fixed antennas, so their range is limited.

@Alex is correct. GMRS radios can't broadcast on those channels. Those are reserved for FRS radios only, and are limited to 0.5watts, so unless you are in a close group they are useless to most. The radios will do the work for you, so say you have a FRS radio that is also GMRS capable, if you use 8-14 the radio will only tx out at 0.5w. Most hand helds max out at 5w, and have fixed antennas, so their range is limited.
So for exaple those cobra handhelds we had can use both, but dont have much range due to the fixed antenna and low wattage?

Likely doing a week long more mild overlanding trip week of March 15th. Very early in planning but thinking one of the following: 395, Death Valley, Mojave road, Joshua tree, etc. If anyone wants to join or help plan let me know.

Reactions: D M and bobthetj03
Mt tamalpies? Im about 22 miles away
Once you get your license and get your feet wet with your new radio, we can see if the Walker repeater is powerful enough for us to communicate. I can find some higher ground at my end. Maybe we can try it on the Cow Mt run while you are traveling up SR101.

Reactions: D M