California NorCal Jeep adventures!

I am interested as well. I'm just not confident in my abilities or setup to commit to going. Based on comments I read I'm not sure if my 33s and low driver skill would be ready for it

Ready for fordyce whenever, have a family run planned early june. I usually have sun-tues off though. I don't know if I would tackle fordyce on 33s. We took a buddy through on 32s and only went to committee.

It’s been a super busy year but i’m still kicking around here. I have a week off next week and due to a friend having to bail last minute rethinking the trip.

Originally was going to go to the Alvord desert in East Oregon but that’s a lot of driving now that i’m solo.

Closer to home, i’m thinking of winding through MNF and ending up around Redwoods NP for a couple days. I want to get some hiking in - I was just in Greece and ate and drank entirely too much - so looking for any hiking suggestions or areas to checkout/avoid further north for MNF @Thunderhead @bobthetj03

It’s been a super busy year but i’m still kicking around here. I have a week off next week and due to a friend having to bail last minute rethinking the trip.

Originally was going to go to the Alvord desert in East Oregon but that’s a lot of driving now that i’m solo.

Closer to home, i’m thinking of winding through MNF and ending up around Redwoods NP for a couple days. I want to get some hiking in - I was just in Greece and ate and drank entirely too much - so looking for any hiking suggestions or areas to checkout/avoid further north for MNF @Thunderhead @bobthetj03
The Snow Mountain Wilderness (in the Mendocino National Forest) is a good place to hike. Taken my horses in there several times.

West Crockett Trailhead is a good place for your base camp, I've camped there many times.

Reactions: tomtaylz

If you do go hiking out of West Crockett, after crossing Middle Fork Stony Creek and hiking up out of the creek, there is a side trail that goes off to your right. It dead ends at a really cool waterfall. Worth the short hike to see it.

You can access the Snow Mountain Wilderness via I-5 from Willows to Elk Creek.

I could be up for an Eastern Oregon trip, in the future, if your still planning that trip.

I could be up for an Eastern Oregon trip, in the future, if your still planning that trip.
Yeah I've really been wanting to get out of there for sometime but 10 hours each direction driving by myself after a lot of traveling recently I'm not sure is for me right now

Yeah I've really been wanting to get out of there for sometime but 10 hours each direction driving by myself after a lot of traveling recently I'm not sure is for me right now
Snow Mt. trailhead is a great hike with the summit as your reward. Tune to the Konocti repeater for comms on 2M.

I am interested as well. I'm just not confident in my abilities or setup to commit to going. Based on comments I read I'm not sure if my 33s and low driver skill would be ready for it

I’m on 33’s and I wouldn’t do fordyce
It wouldn’t be worth it. Tag along on some other runs. You can only gain experience and skill by getting out there and learning.

Well we have the Dusy run in late August, I would be open running Fordyce as a warm up. 😀
Fordyce is no joke 5 hours of rock crawling and we only made it to winch hill 1

11A5C10C-ADAB-4787-94E9-FECCAE1CB499.jpeg
579184FE-9231-4610-AB4E-3C757A6B0E01.jpeg
09CBAF33-86AB-410A-9730-8BCE4A1FD44B.jpeg

I’m on 33’s and I wouldn’t do fordyce
It wouldn’t be worth it. Tag along on some other runs. You can only gain experience and skill by getting out there and learning.
You could easily make it to the first river crossing. I wouldn't say it's easy up until that point but it certainly is easier than stuff I've seen you on. After that I'm sure you could make it to winch hill 1 like we did but you'd be getting your money out of your skids. I was hitting the armor constantly. It didn't help that there was a ton of water so every time we were about to climb we first were forced to drive through a puddle and climb wet rocks.

Not sure if that's typical trail conditions or if it was because there was still a decent amount of snow on the surrounding hills. My guess is the latter.

If you could get up there and it’s a serious hike. Green Springs goes up pass Hammerhorn Mnt and Sugarloaf Mtn

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mendocino/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=25200&actid=51
Or Ides Cove hike into the same area.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mendocino/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=25202&actid=51
Tried going up that way but there was a fair bit of snow and mud past Plaskett Meadows. Wasn’t sure how long it went on for so decided to turn around.

If you do go hiking out of West Crockett, after crossing Middle Fork Stony Creek and hiking up out of the creek, there is a side trail that goes off to your right. It dead ends at a really cool waterfall. Worth the short hike to see it.

Did this today! Thanks for the recommendation. Took me awhile of following deer tracks to find the trail but then it was a beautiful hike, did about 6 miles. I read after technically the trailhead was closed but it seemed fine, I went up looking at Plaskett Meadows and that’s real burned out, I wouldn’t feel great camping there with some wind.

Tried going up that way but there was a fair bit of snow and mud past Plaskett Meadows. Wasn’t sure how long it went on for so decided to turn around.

Did this today! Thanks for the recommendation. Took me awhile of following deer tracks to find the trail but then it was a beautiful hike, did about 6 miles. I read after technically the trailhead was closed but it seemed fine, I went up looking at Plaskett Meadows and that’s real burned out, I wouldn’t feel great camping there with some wind.
How was the fireplace? Gamechanger?!?!?