Oklahoma Oklahoma members

Good to see a bunch of us from Oklahoma here! Anyone have any recs for basic offroading in the broader vicinity of OKC? I'm pretty new to this - have gone with friends in their jeeps before but just got my own TJ a month or two ago - just trying to get the hang of things a bit better and see what the jeep can do!
I went out to crossbar for the ultra4 nationals this year. Seemed like a decent park, though very different from desert socal wheeling. At one point we wound up off the spectator trail a good bit ( not marked very well) and decended down a killer tight steep and heavily wooded trail covered in boulders. wound up in the creek almost on the race course and turned around to come back up, which was actually pretty technical. I enjoyed.

seemed like a good place to test your limits as the trails have a good range of difficulty.

we should plan a meetup somewhere and get the OK group on the trail together.

There's a local guy here, friend of a friend that I haven't met yet, but he has a YJ on 40s with an atlas, I'll make it a point to meet up with him and see if he has any hidden gems to wheel.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I have to finish a few things up before getting back on the trail...
IMG_20211023_195558368.jpg
IMG_20211023_195515207.jpg

Like!!

Hot springs ORV
Byrd's adventure center in Cass
SMORR in Mo

are also worth the trips. Rush Springs Ranch was ok. If y'all have any specific questions about terrain or anything else I'll be happy to share any info I have.

Not an off road adventure, but talimena drive, usually in Nov when the leaves turn is a must do. Watch it closely though, a day can literally make a difference.
Looking for info on Byrd's. May do a trip there soon and wondering how many actual rock crawling trails they have to see if it is worth the trip. It doesn't look like much orange and red on their trail maps? But the map also says they are updating the trail markers in 2011 so I am assuming it is outdated.

Byrd's trail map

Byrd is a neat park in the hills, even has an airport on site. They host a fly in, fun weekend to wheel and get a close look at low flying planes. Its a mix of everything but mainly beautiful country with steep rocky trails and a few mud holes.

If you're looking crawl rocks, Byrd's would be a nice leisurely trip. Its worth checking out, especially as the trees turn.

If you want hardcore rock crawling, that's not gonna be your spot

Reactions: Bigmac and gasiorv
@gasiorv Drive farther west, RMR (Rugged Mountain Ranch) or Green Acres in Clayton is what you're looking for, if you're after hardcore crawling.

Both are easily searchable on YouTube

Thanks. I know about Green Acres (haven't been yet) but it is about 8 hours from me. I was looking for something in the 5 hour range. I was hoping to go to SMORR, but just discovered that they are closed after Thanksgiving until March. Most likely I will head east to AOP and the Cove in East TN. Anyway, I am always looking for new places so please keep the suggestions coming.

I have never been to AOP, but friends that I am going with say there are some rowdy trails. Sound like there is real easy and real hard, but not a lot between. Cove has some cool rock crawling spots, you just need to know someone who is familiar with the area to get you there. Luckily I know a local.

Reactions: Mrholland
folks, thinking about a wheeling trip in the next couple of months. green acres, crossbar, looking for a good time, but nothing so extreme that less capable rigs dont bother coming out for it. anyone interested?

Has GMRS caught on in the Oklahoma crowd yet? Handheld FRS or CB is fun and all but im expanding to some more capable platforms. Ill have my Ham license next week.

Possibly!!

Green Acres is a buggy place or very capable jeep place.

Crossbar isn't bad, good mix of trails. I think I've been there 3 times. The first couple of times,,,,scratch city!!! The last visit, maybe a lil more than a year ago, they were trimming back and opening up the trails. This was welcomed news for me!

Most of those I wheel with use either FRS or CB

I’m 70 miles east of the Oklahoma line. I’ve wheeled Disney and consider SMORR my home park. I’ve done Byrd’s. It was a quick trip and it was “ok” but not a lot of trails. In Missouri there is also Moonlight Racing up around Sullivan and Flat Nasty near Licking. Hot Springs is probably my second fav so far. Hit me up this spring if you wanna wheel SMORR. They have awesome camping and I know the park well.

Reactions: gasiorv
I am going to try to put a Clayton trip together this winter/spring. Either Rugged Mountain Ranch or Green Acres. I will post up here if I get it together. You do the same.

RMR is arguably the most difficult wheeling in this part of the country. I sliced a tire, twisted a driveshaft and torque converter came apart, Id love to go back!!

Last edited:
I’m 70 miles east of the Oklahoma line. I’ve wheeled Disney and consider SMORR my home park. I’ve done Byrd’s. It was a quick trip and it was “ok” but not a lot of trails. In Missouri there is also Moonlight Racing up around Sullivan and Flat Nasty near Licking. Hot Springs is probably my second fav so far. Hit me up this spring if you wanna wheel SMORR. They have awesome camping and I know the park well.
I just realized we have a close family friend that has a farm near smorr, that will for sure be my next trip. Can't wait.

Reactions: AMS417
Ill post this in thr Arkansas section as well but thought id throw out that ill be headed to Hot Springs offroad park on the 9th. planning to wheel most of the day on the 10th before heading elsewhere in the state for some more family vacation type stuff.

I'll have the wife and kids with me so probably wont get to do anything too wild but if anyone's im the area let me know.

If I was on town.....instead, I'm headed to sand hollow.

Finally bout to be wheeling weather!

If I was on town.....instead, I'm headed to sand hollow.

Finally bout to be wheeling weather!
Seriously jealous. Been to Moab a few times but never sand hollow. It's on my list but Arkansas new as well (and closer) so Ill take what i can get for now. Enjoy sand hollow and post up a wheeling trip post for us to drool over...

And by the way the name's Marcus
But if you like you can call me sensei

Reactions: Bigmac
Ha, everyone else is like, wtf?

Just seeing these recent updates. BigMac hope you have fun in HS, unfortunately I can't make it over this weekend but let me know if you are looking for any info. The new owners have recently started marking all the trails and updating the ratings, so pretty easy to get around.

MrHolland - have fun in SandHollow! I am finally getting around to making it to Clayton. I got invited to wheel in Clayton next week with a group from Texas, so I am pretty stoked about that. I will post up how it went after the trip.

Reactions: Bigmac