TREMEC TR-4050

https://shiftsst.com/1997-2006-jeep-tj
Weight and Dimensions

• 164 lbs dry
  • 19.5” Overall length
  • .590” Pilot diameter
  • 5.125” Index retainer diameter
  • 1.125” Input shaft diameter, 10spline, 6.5” length

For the cost though, it’s just not worth it. @sierradmax said the install quote was something like 5k I believe. That’s three AX-15s 🤣

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman
For the cost though, it’s just not worth it. @sierradmax said the install quote was something like 5k I believe. That’s three AX-15s 🤣

Yes they are always proud of their boxes. Even getting a NV4500 is a huge hit on the pocket if you buy rebuilt/new.
I'd guess the main reason it would be worth it is if you were building a high HP/TQ engine and wanted a manual box that could handle it.

The 46RE that I had built for my TJ was $2400 and a $600 core charge but he waved the core for me as the military discount. Getting a built auto for a towing rig can be north of $5K depending on what you get.

Yes they are always proud of their boxes. Even getting a NV4500 is a huge hit on the pocket if you buy rebuilt/new.
I'd guess the main reason it would be worth it is if you were building a high HP/TQ engine and wanted a manual box that could handle it.

The 46RE that I had built for my TJ was $2400 and a $600 core charge but he waved the core for me as the military discount. Getting a built auto for a towing rig can be north of $5K depending on what you get.

Yes, for a high HP engine I could see the NV4500 being advantageous. However, a stroker 4.0 or even a supercharger 4.0 is more than fine on the stock transmission. A lot of it comes down to how to drive too. If you're an idiot who likes to drop the clutch and do burnouts, you can probably make short order of any transmission.

Built transmissions aren't cheap, I remember that from my Corvette days.

A huge thank you to Accutune for building me a set of Fox Factory 2.0 smooth body shocks with LSC. Had they not done this I would have been waiting what could have been months.

The eagle landed today, and the shocks are ready to go. Got the Poly Performance towers and the GenRight raised body mounts as well đź‘Ť

710E0D28-99EC-436D-8896-74AB0BEFBBAF.jpeg

Have you had it out wheeling yet? If so, how do you like it?

Yes, I have had it out wheeling believe it or not. I went with some neighbors who have off-road vehicles. I should have had someone take pictures, but oh well.

It performs flawlessly off-road and I can't find a single thing to complain about other than maybe the wheels are a bit hard to turn in the rocks (which PSC will certainly fix). Other than that though, I can see why this suspension setup is so revered. It really works flawlessly and performs excellent both on-road and off-road.

Admittedly though, I do find myself driving my silver TJ more, probably because it's just more fun to drive on the street (which is most of the driving I do) as it's stock, has plenty of power, and much, much easier to get in-and-out of, especially when hauling the kids around.

It's very, very interesting having this built TJ and a bone stock TJ to be able to drive back-to-back. I definitely have a lot of opinions because of this.

Yes, I have had it out wheeling believe it or not. I went with some neighbors who have off-road vehicles. I should have had someone take pictures, but oh well.

It performs flawlessly off-road and I can't find a single thing to complain about other than maybe the wheels are a bit hard to turn in the rocks (which PSC will certainly fix). Other than that though, I can see why this suspension setup is so revered. It really works flawlessly and performs excellent both on-road and off-road.

Admittedly though, I do find myself driving my silver TJ more, probably because it's just more fun to drive on the street (which is most of the driving I do) as it's stock, has plenty of power, and much, much easier to get in-and-out of, especially when hauling the kids around.

It's very, very interesting having this built TJ and a bone stock TJ to be able to drive back-to-back. I definitely have a lot of opinions because of this.
So are you keeping both?

Care to share 'em?

The first and most obvious observation is that once you added big, heavy tires and wheels to these things, it seriously robs them of a lot of power. In stock form, the 4.0 is actually great. My stock TJ has no problem getting up and going and actually feels quite peppy.

This khaki one on the other hand isn't too bad off the line, but once you drive them back-to-back, it becomes very apparent just how much power has been lost from the added weight and bigger tires. Of course this is to be expected.

That being said, the 4.0 isn't actually a bad engine, but when it comes to powering a rig like this, you really need to start thinking about a stroker, supercharger, or even an engine swap if you want to make it really livable. Of course I never bought this with the intention of daily driving it or commuting, so it's not so much an issue for me. However, if this was your sole vehicle for commuting or daily driving, you'd probably be miserable.

Also, maybe I'm getting old, but man is it a lot easier to get in-and-out of my stock TJ :LOL:

The two can't really be compared. One feels like a peppy little around town, fun vehicle, while the other feels like a purpose built crawler almost.

In addition, I've commented in another post about how I prefer the NSG370 over the NV3500. The NSG370 has that 6th gear which I like, and it also feels like a more precise transmission from what I can tell.

The NV3500 isn't bad by any means, not even remotely bad. I just think that the NSG370 really feels nice.

The first and most obvious observation is that once you added big, heavy tires and wheels to these things, it seriously robs them of a lot of power. In stock form, the 4.0 is actually great. My stock TJ has no problem getting up and going and actually feels quite peppy.

This khaki one on the other hand isn't too bad off the line, but once you drive them back-to-back, it becomes very apparent just how much power has been lost from the added weight and bigger tires. Of course this is to be expected.

That being said, the 4.0 isn't actually a bad engine, but when it comes to powering a rig like this, you really need to start thinking about a stroker, supercharger, or even an engine swap if you want to make it really livable. Of course I never bought this with the intention of daily driving it or commuting, so it's not so much an issue for me. However, if this was your sole vehicle for commuting or daily driving, you'd probably be miserable.

Also, maybe I'm getting old, but man is it a lot easier to get in-and-out of my stock TJ :LOL:

The two can't really be compared. One feels like a peppy little around town, fun vehicle, while the other feels like a purpose built crawler almost.

In addition, I've commented in another post about how I prefer the NSG370 over the NV3500. The NSG370 has that 6th gear which I like, and it also feels like a more precise transmission from what I can tell.

The NV3500 isn't bad by any means, not even remotely bad. I just think that the NSG370 really feels nice.
I noticed that as well about the nsg370 when test driving some TJ's before I found my current one. I still ended up with a nv3550 though, and driving on the highway makes me jealous of that 6th gear often.

I noticed that as well about the nsg370 when test driving some TJ's before I found my current one. I still ended up with a nv3550 though, and driving on the highway makes me jealous of that 6th gear often.

Yes, some will call me crazy given the reputation the NSG370 has, but the one that is in my silver TJ has no issues with any of the gears, including reverse. It shifts nice and crisp (almost like a sports car), and the 6th gear is great.

I mentioned in some of my previous posts, but had I not found this built TJ, I wouldn't have gone down this path again, honestly. It's just too much time and money to do right, and I would have just put 265s and a 2" lift on my silver one and called it a day.

Yes, some will call me crazy given the reputation the NSG370 has, but the one that is in my silver TJ has no issues with any of the gears, including reverse. It shifts nice and crisp (almost like a sports car), and the 6th gear is great.

I mentioned in some of my previous posts, but had I not found this built TJ, I wouldn't have gone down this path again, honestly. It's just too much time and money to do right, and I would have just put 265s and a 2" lift on my silver one and called it a day.
Some of us know how to swap transmissions back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.