Plug-and-play speaker upgrade?

I like Alpine products and am also considering adding one of their power pack amps. First I'm going to replace the speakers with 5.25 Polks and see how they sound running of the single din Alpine HU. Based on that I may upgrade the RMS power.

The Polk 5.25" will be a huge improvement over stock, and gives you the flexibility of adding an amplifier down the road if you choose to add more power.

the polks work great, but I think I am going to run a 1" tweeter on the dash to move the sound a little forward.

This was one of the best audio upgrades I made to this system, great call to do this.

The Polk 5.25" will be a huge improvement over stock, and gives you the flexibility of adding an amplifier down the road if you choose to add more power.

This was one of the best audio upgrades I made to this system, great call to do this.
I think it might complete the system, already did the HU both polks, and upgraded sub speaker (stock location) with an amp just for the sub. Even with the dash speakers in a pod they still are in such a bad location that you can hardly hear them.

I think it might complete the system, already did the HU both polks, and upgraded sub speaker (stock location) with an amp just for the sub. Even with the dash speakers in a pod they still are in such a bad location that you can hardly hear them.

Indeed it may complete the system for you. As you said, the dash speakers are just in a bad spot, facing down at your knees, so that is the weak point. By moving the tweeters up high you will get so much more sound on axis hitting you perfectly.

Do you plan on using a crossover or doing something else? Are the polks you have the coaxials or components?

I have the 5.25 polks down there, 1" tweeters come with resistor/crossover for them. I don't know if I need to use the cross over to the polks? Just going to tap into the fron speaker wires for the tweeter.

I have the 5.25 polks down there, 1" tweeters come with resistor/crossover for them. I don't know if I need to use the cross over to the polks? Just going to tap into the fron speaker wires for the tweeter.

So you must have the DB5251(or 5252) , and not the 521s (or 522s).

Is your current set-up only using the 5.25" woofer, while the tweeter and crossover are "in storage"?

If yes, just run the main speaker line that is currently going into the 5 25 woofer into the crossover, then from the crossover you can plug into both the 5.25 woofer and tweeter.

You really should use the crossover to prevent unwanted frequencies going to the wrong speakers. Like you dont want 15,000 Hz hitting the woofers else you risk damage to the speaker, and that woofer speaker is not intended to play 15,000 Hz. That is where the crossover comes into play.

Last edited:
I have the DB522 wired straight from the head unit. So in this case I will need a crossover going to both the polk and the tweeter? What if just the tweeter has the inline cross over?

I have not bought the tweeter/cross over yet.

Since that amp hasn't been released yet, I think it comes out next month, the manual is not yet available. So to take the amps specs at face value, 4x50w at 2 and 4 ohms, would this amp be used to power your sub, or just the main 4 speakers?

Any reason you are not looking at a 5 channel amp to also power the sub?

More importantly, are you upgrading the sub in your center console or are you looking to add a sub somewhere else, like under the seat, in which case you could look at a self-powered sub?

For the price, this is a great 5-channel amp that will work well with a kicker 6.75" DVC in the center console, the 2 ohm version (wired into series), will pull 4 ohms, and this amp spits out 200 watts at 4 ohms, plus the 4 other speakers, Polks you mentioned.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530PN5640D/Soundstream-Picasso-Nano-PN5-640D.html?tp=35808
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-EGd1yKLkuxE/p_2064CRT672/Kicker-40CWRT672.html

Ah, it sounds like I will want a 5 channel then? How much will the Polks improve with an amp vs only an amp for the sub?

I'm thinking I'll keep the sub in the console even though it'll rattle the coins.

Will that amp plug right into the head unit and sub wiring? Do I need any extra harnesses?

I think I'd be very happy with that setup but if I wanted to spend any more is there anything that you'd suggest? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I have the DB522 wired straight from the head unit. So in this case I will need a crossover going to both the polk and the tweeter? What if just the tweeter has the inline cross over?

I have not bought the tweeter/cross over yet.

Your current DB522s have a built-in crossover so they would be good, and as you said you can tap into that speaker line and then purchase a pair of tweeters and inline crossovers.

Personally I think it would be much easier if you purchased new Polk components, the DB 5252s, and sold your existing 522s here on the forum. The 5252s come with the separate woofers, tweeters and crossovers...everything you need up front for about $120, and a much easier install. Then sell those 522s, or relocate to the speaker pods.

Just a thought...

Ah, it sounds like I will want a 5 channel then? How much will the Polks improve with an amp vs only an amp for the sub?

I'm thinking I'll keep the sub in the console even though it'll rattle the coins.

Will that amp plug right into the head unit and sub wiring? Do I need any extra harnesses?

I think I'd be very happy with that setup but if I wanted to spend any more is there anything that you'd suggest? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

If you are installing all new speakers, and want to amplifier the woofer, then you might as well amplify the other speakers since the cost to do so is negligible. Those Polks will play louder and they will love the extra boost. You will 100% notice a difference if you amplify them.

I have about 70 watts going to my Kicker woofer that's in the center console and I have no rattles, I used to have 350 watts and that rattled.

The amplifier should plug right into the head unit, but refresh me, what head unit and current speakers do you have?

What tweeters are you looking for/set up? I too, am itching for something to be pointed at my face vs. my knees...

Those Polks are a great value, for $120. You can always spend more, but at this price you cannot go wrong. I currently have an old set, Helix P235s. They are old, but I think the authorized reseller I bought mine through has a couple units left. If interested let me know and I can pass along his info.

The sound system is so much better when it has...

I currently have the stock "sound package" speakers and stock radio head unit.

In a box I have 4x Polk 522 for the dash and rollcage waiting to go in. For the head unit I'm seriously looking at this one: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILXW650/Alpine-iLX-W650.html

That is a fine head unit, has lots of goodies. That will connect to the soundstream amplifier, and be able to power up the Polk 522s and that Kicker sub, the 2 ohm version, and wired in series.

Then you would need an amplifer install kit, sonix or crutchfield has them readily available, about $25-$30 for a kit.

If u can swing the cash for a good head unit, I would check out some stuff that Sony has available. Some
Of the more expensive units have built in class d amps which gets u around 45-55 watts rms. Most other units you don’t get half this output. The original purchase price will be more expensive but not having to buy a speaker amp and having to find a location to mount it will be helpful

That is a fine head unit, has lots of goodies. That will connect to the soundstream amplifier, and be able to power up the Polk 522s and that Kicker sub, the 2 ohm version, and wired in series.

Then you would need an amplifer install kit, sonix or crutchfield has them readily available, about $25-$30 for a kit.

Thanks!

I already have the 1ohm version. 40CWRT671. I assume that's not going to work?

Is this the amp install kit? https://www.crutchfield.com/p_007CK8/Crutchfield-CK8.html