Problem With Metalcloak Track Bar

looks like a bad ball, no? that steel broke.
it sure wouldn't hurt if it used a nice big flat more like the other piece to disperse load and add stability.

TB balls.PNG

looks like a bad ball, no? that steel broke.
it sure wouldn't hurt if it used a nice big flat more like the other piece to disperse load and add stability.

View attachment 243917
Packaging doesn't allow it without having the bolt head hang down. And keep in mind that there must be thousands and thousands of these track bars on the road from Currie and I don't recall having seen this happen.

Reactions: taylormade73
Packaging doesn't allow it without having the bolt head hang down. And keep in mind that there must be thousands and thousands of these track bars on the road from Currie and I don't recall having seen this happen.

This is not a Currie track bar. It is a metalcloak track bar. I was attempting to replace the heim joint with a Johnny joint. I ordered just the Johnny joint that would fit into the end of the metalcloak track bar.

Is there enough misalignment in that JJ for the way its mounted? Is 25* enough?
Everything appeared to line up fine. The track bar bolt easily slid through the Johnny joint up through the frame. The one side of the Johnny joint was flush against the frame mount and it looked like the bolt head was flush against the other side.

This is not a Currie track bar. It is a metalcloak track bar. I was attempting to replace the heim joint with a Johnny joint. I ordered just the Johnny joint that would fit into the end of the metalcloak track bar.
Yes, I see that. And for still unknown reasons, the JJ you used broke.

Is this the same joint used on the Currie track bar? Very interested as my MC bar joint is lou d and starting to develop some play.
Edit;
Looks like the Currie bar uses a 2.5” joint? Me thinks there is a reason they used a 2.5” joint not a 2”?

Last edited:
Is this the same joint used on the Currie track bar? Very interested as my MC bar joint is lou d and starting to develop some play.
Edit;
Looks like the Currie bar uses a 2.5” joint? Me thinks there is a reason they used a 2.5” joint not a 2”?
Me too. They also use a special centering ball.

Has anyone used the “New” self lubricating Heim from Metalcloak?
I’m curious as well, I checked out my rear heim and it’s a bit grimy, again my fault, being up in New England doesn’t help but not sure if I want to drop $50 on the MC replacement, tho I’m having a tough time
Finding a 3/4 thread heim with a 7/8 ball
Bore...and they use a misalignment spacers that goes metric, assuming I can salvage my old ones hopefully.

Mines enroute from Canada, I found the joint on another thread and jeep forum and the poster said they had it for a few years without issue. Little more expensive than the other Heims but seems like it’ll
Hold up to the elements better. Impatiently waiting for delivery next Tuesday.
I’m interested if it will have the same amount of misalignment as the MC heim does with the spacers. Looks like it will. Also make sure you install it with the adjustment side down. So in the event of a failure it can’t fall apart.

The top is what I was thinking, more like the diameter of a safety washer. IDK if that might reduce the amount of movement vs it being longer/deeper overall.
Then it's like you say, is it even warranted.

Mines enroute from Canada, I found the joint on another thread and jeep forum and the poster said they had it for a few years without issue. Little more expensive than the other Heims but seems like it’ll
I’m interested if it will have the same amount of misalignment as the MC heim does with the spacers.
I have a Metalcloak trackbar with the heim joint. Never had a problem with it, but I thought I would try the RockJock CE-9112N75-16 Johnny Joint on the track bar.

Here are some pics showing the comparison of the two:

View attachment 243842View attachment 243845View attachment 243846View attachment 243844View attachment 243847
how wide is the MC joint? Calipers are blank. Lol.

Just ordered one. Expensive little bugger. Hope it works out.

The top is what I was thinking, more like the diameter of a safety washer. IDK if that might reduce the amount of movement vs it being longer/deeper overall.
Then it's like you say, is it even warranted.
The top side already has the normal JJ flange.

What we know happened is that the lower milled side collapsed while it was approaching 150lbs of torque. That is why my initial questions were focused on lubrication and if the JJ was correctly seated against the track bar mount.

If this is a smaller JJ, then I wonder what size bolt is intended for it and what is the recommended torque value for that bolt.

In my brief search I did not find anyone who was running the smaller forged JJ. Currie decided to run the larger weld on joint for a reason. Not sure of those details. I decided to order the EMF heim as it is rebuildable and adjustable. Expensive, but if it lasts it will be worth it for a bolt in piece that hopefully will solve my problem.
I received a call back from MC asking about what issues I was having with my heim. I told him that I had found an adjustable, rebuildable and greasable joint. He replied”EMF”? Talked very highly of them. I suggested they offer those joints even as an upgrade. Seems they may be reluctant due to possible supply issues. EMF is a small company who does all work in-house, that’s what I read anyway.